Finally bought my plane tickets!

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By Memi
  • 2 Post By Shufu_in_Shunan
  • 1 Post By Shufu_in_Shunan
  • 1 Post By kary4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 6th, 2014, 08:51 PM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
I'm officially taking Kaeldra to the U.S. at the beginning of next month! I'm staying for about 3 weeks. My husband isn't able to come with me, so I'll be taking her by myself, and I'm nervous. The airline offers some sort of service for people flying with young children to assist with luggage throughout certain parts of the airport, so I requested that. Hopefully that will help! This will be the first time any of the grandparents have met her, so that will be exciting!

As for feeding during the trip, I think I'm allowed to bring jarred baby food and also a certain amount of breast milk, but I'm hoping to breastfeed quite a lot in order to help keep her calm and everything. I've never breastfed in public and am not too comfortable with the idea, so I was considering buying a "Hooter Hider." Does anyone here have any experience with those? Do you think they're worth the $40 I'd have to pay for one? I've tried using just a regular blanket before, but it was sort of difficult for me. I think a Hooter Hider might make it easier.

March 6th, 2014, 09:22 PM
Super Mommy
Yay!! That is so exciting!! Finally!Don't spend the $40. Check out this link on how to make your own ( NO SEW!!!) cover. So simple!Milk-Friendly: {DIY}: Make Your Own No Sew Nursing Cover
March 6th, 2014, 10:07 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so happy for you! Your hubby is going to miss her! I agree don't waste the money. I eventually figured out how to use just a blanket but it wasn't pretty haha. What part of the states are you visiting again?

March 6th, 2014, 11:21 PM
Elly M.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The grandparents must be SOOOO excited! I think taking the service they offer with luggage is a good idea. One less thing for you to worry about and make it as stress free as possible. I very rarely fly, only twice so far, so I was wondering, when you get a ticket is it an assigned seat every time? Or can you kind of choose as you go on? Please excuse my ignorance, I am really not that uncivilized, lol. We just tend to drive everywhere, and growing up, my mother was terrified of planes, so we never flew. Anyway, my point is, I was wondering if it is possible to get a window seat, and maybe try to sit with another woman? I just thought that would maybe help with privacy, and comfort. Regardless, I'm sure everything will go smoothly. You must be so excited!

5/25/03 with us for 6 months
8/11/12 with us for 5 weeks

March 7th, 2014, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurly View Post
Yay!! That is so exciting!! Finally!Don't spend the $40. Check out this link on how to make your own ( NO SEW!!!) cover. So simple!Milk-Friendly: {DIY}: Make Your Own No Sew Nursing Cover
Cool link! That looks like something I could actually make! I do like the wire at the top of the Hooter Hiders, though...and I don't think I could pull off doing something like that myself. :S I'll have to think about it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elly M. View Post
The grandparents must be SOOOO excited! I think taking the service they offer with luggage is a good idea. One less thing for you to worry about and make it as stress free as possible. I very rarely fly, only twice so far, so I was wondering, when you get a ticket is it an assigned seat every time? Or can you kind of choose as you go on? Please excuse my ignorance, I am really not that uncivilized, lol. We just tend to drive everywhere, and growing up, my mother was terrified of planes, so we never flew. Anyway, my point is, I was wondering if it is possible to get a window seat, and maybe try to sit with another woman? I just thought that would maybe help with privacy, and comfort. Regardless, I'm sure everything will go smoothly. You must be so excited!
I know you can select specific seats (as long as they are not occupied) online, but I'm not sure if that applies to passengers with babies because I've read that they are only allowed to have a certain number of babies within certain spaces of planes...I can't remember why. It might be because they offer a bassinet that can only be put up in certain areas of the plane? Maybe someone else on here knows! I usually prefer window seats, but I don't know what would be best with a baby, since I'll have to get up a few times (for diaper changes and what-not). I hate climbing over people in cramped spaces. I chose an aisle seat on my flight here because I didn't want to have to be climbing over people as a pregnant woman to use the bathroom every 2 hours, haha.

March 7th, 2014, 08:18 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have flown several times with a baby, and I personally would go for the Hooter Hider. My friend has one (I need to get one) and it has a ton of fabric, so you can feel fully covered, and the wired neckline is very nice so you can peek at baby, or pull it closer to yourself. The cover I have does not have near as much fabric and I'm always trying to hold it in position so Kody doesn't thrash around and expose me. It was only $10, but I think the $40 would be worth it. As far as BF in public, just read a few "pep talk" articles about breastfeeding in public, take a deep breath, and then do your best to ignore the other people around you (mentally ignore, I mean). You are helping your baby to be calm during the flight by BF'ing her, so the people around ought to be grateful. I would try to nurse her specifically during takeoff and landing, because the pressure can hurt her ears at those times, and nursing can help her pop her ears. Or feed her some baby food, just something so her jaws are opening and closing. If you wanted to try it, they have ear "plugs" that are sort of like putty, that completely cover the ear canal opening. They keep the pressure the same throughout the flight. You might see them advertised on the packaging for swimmer's ear. I've found them here in pharmacy areas of grocery stores. You could try them beforehand to see if she would go for it. I've found that after the takeoff, Ethan (when he was a baby) did really great during the flight. He slept for most of it, because the motion and the noise lulled him. In fact, he probably slept better than he ever has in the past. An aisle seat might give you more elbow room for nursing, although a window seat is a teensy bit more private, but then yes you'll have to climb over people. I'd say get the hooter hider and pick an aisle seat. You'll have to be holding Kaeldra and a diaper bag, so you probably will want an easy out. On the flights I've taken, parents with small children get to board first, so you should have an easy time getting on the plane. You'll still have to wait to get out with everyone else when it's over though. I would get one of those neck pillows for flying, because if you're carrying her on your lap, you're going to need some help being comfortable enough to sleep sitting up! What worked well for me was to have my purse inside my diaper bag, and carry that on of course. Wear her in a sling, it gives you your hands free to stow your bags and get seated. Put her back in the sling right before you disembark so that you again have your hands free. And I found that a stroller was helpful in the terminal, because I could stack one of my suitcases on there, hang the diaper bag, and have Ethan in the sling. Or, I could pull the suitcase and have Ethan in the stroller. When you get to the plane, you can take the stroller all the way to the door of the plane, and then you leave it there and they stash it with the luggage down below. They affix a tag on it and give you a ticket so you can claim it afterwards. Then they have it (ideally) waiting for you when you get off, so you can grab it right as you exit the plane. Keep in mind this advice is about 4 years old...that's the last time I flew with a baby. But, hopefully it helps!

PS I forgot to mention, Ethan did scream/cry during takeoff and landing each time. He refused to nurse on command so I couldn't get him to take it. I got some looks and a little "helpful" advice (it was something I already knew, but it was given in a nice way), but other than that, nobody said anything. If she screams, try to stay calm, know that when the plane levels off, she will probably calm down, so just hang in there.

PPS---sorry thought of something else. I would practice with the Hooter Hider several times at home so Kaeldra gets used to being under the cover. It can be a little distracting for her if she's not used to it, so getting her accustomed to it might help it go smoother at the airport.
kary4 likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12

Last edited by EverydayJoy; March 7th, 2014 at 08:26 AM.
March 7th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurly View Post
This is awesome! Now in September I can make my own easy superhero capes for DS1s bday party! thanks for posting!!

I have no real advise as I don't fly hardly ever but I hope your flight goes very smooth!
kurly likes this.

March 7th, 2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks, everyone! There's some great advice here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewlyMrs View Post
I am so happy for you! Your hubby is going to miss her! I agree don't waste the money. I eventually figured out how to use just a blanket but it wasn't pretty haha. What part of the states are you visiting again?
I just realized I forgot to answer your question! I'll be visiting Washington State. And yes, my husband will miss her. We'll have to Skype a bunch while we're away.

March 7th, 2014, 05:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'd probably just buy the hooter hider if I were you. I totally relate to not being particularly comfortable nursing in public, and if a blanket is awkward (especially since you'll be alone!) for you, then it'll just be an unpleasant experience.Also, I might call the airline and ask about seating since you'll be alone with the baby, and see how well they can accommodate you. I'm trying to figure out the best arrangement for our big trip. Speaking of which, I might be coming to you for advice come May
March 7th, 2014, 06:16 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Joy pretty much summed everything up! I also would definitely go for the Hooter Hider - although you might find it difficult to use at this stage bc she is so active. I have one and used it quite a bit in the beginning. But now Lexi won't nurse in public or with it - she's just too distracted and pulls at it! So if I'm going to be out a long time with her, I wear a nursing shirt and just latch her on and use a swaddled blanket to kind of cover myself. I would definitely bring some emergency bottles in case she refuses to nurse or you're having a tough time or whatever. Also, do you have a breast pump? I was thinking worst case scenario - she won't nurse and you need to relieve the pressure in your breasts - you can pump while wearing the Hooter Hider. Although that may not work if she's a lap baby. Anyway, don't forget your sling!! And have fun! Congratulations!
March 8th, 2014, 11:46 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Hey Kim,You could bring a Pack N Play back to Japan with you. And use it while at the grandparents?!
March 8th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Hey Kim,You could bring a Pack N Play back to Japan with you. And use it while at the grandparents?!
Possibly. I have thought about that. I am trying to limit the amount of stuff I bring back with me, though, because I will also be toting around my cat for the return trip (I think I must be insane). My best friend has a 1 1/2 year old and she offered to let me borrow her Pack N' Play while I'm there, so I can see how well Kaeldra deals with it and go from there.

Btw, I went ahead and ordered a Hooter Hider! I don't splurge often, and it helps me have some peace of mind with the whole situation. So I'll make sure to practice with it a bunch before my trip!
EverydayJoy and rheaimedved like this.

Last edited by Shufu_in_Shunan; March 8th, 2014 at 06:23 PM.
March 8th, 2014, 07:06 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Cool! What pattern did you get?
March 8th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Cool! What pattern did you get?
The "Nest" pattern. It looks like this: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...L._SL1500_.jpg
rheaimedved likes this.

March 8th, 2014, 08:38 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aw, cute!!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 9th, 2014, 07:27 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Omg, that's the exact one I have!!! I love that style!
Shufu_in_Shunan likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search