She won't drink it and I'm done.

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Erin80
  • 1 Post By Erin80

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 12th, 2014, 05:37 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lilah won't drink my frozen milk. She was drinking it, but since she's been sick with this cold, she just refuses it and will only drink fresh milk. I am down to 3 pumps a day, and I think that is signalling to my body that I'm weaning because my supply has been slowly dropping since I dropped to 3 pumps...so now I am just barely keeping up with her. She's also STILL not doing well with solids - has maybe 2-4oz a day, and will only eat that if I'm holding her. She still gags very badly on anything other than puree. I have decided that as of March 20th, I am going to wean completely. She'll be 10 months on the 20th. I am going to go buy some formula I think and just start doing half/half to get her used to it. If she won't drink the frozen, and she won't eat food, I really have no choice because I am NOT pumping past 1 year. I am dedicated, but not that dedicated I guess. Breast milk for 10 months is fine I think, I did my best.

I wish they sold formula in smaller cans.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
March 12th, 2014, 06:14 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Lexi is on a nursing strike - she hardly breastfed today! She breastfed at 7 am, then a little at 1:30 pm, and that's it! She would not nurse at bedtime, so I actually had to pump for the first time in months! But, first I had to clean and boil the pump parts, which sucked!! think it's teething - she has two bottom lateral incisors coming in, and a fourth tooth on top. She's also chewing on her fingers in the back of her mouth - so maybe first year molars are starting. She also has a cold, so maybe that is it too. I feel your frustration. I have at times thought of doing formula, but she hardly uses a bottle, so I don't know if that would work. And we're so close to a year so it might not be worth it to switch her to formula only to switch her again to regular milk at 12 months. Know what I mean? Maybe Lilah will take your frozen milk after her cold clears? Do you warm it to the same temp as fresh milk?Lexi also gags and chokes on anything but purees, yogurt, Puffs, and Mum Mums. I have decided she's just not developmentally ready for table food. I'll just try at one year and keep doing purees until then.

Another frustration - sleeping at night. She's up twice a night for good now it seems. I'm so done!
March 12th, 2014, 09:03 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Erin---I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe if you could get her drinking formula, you could sneak in the frozen breast milk so that you could use it up. The formula should help cover the taste, I would imagine anyway. They do sell formula in the ready to feed bottles...but they often taste slightly different than the can in the powder form. I have seen some stores carry the little packet/pouches that are for on-the-go bottle making. Maybe trialing one of those would help. I think you have gone above and beyond what most women would do. I would be done too! Kody also is doing barely any solids. He outright refuses purees, he doesn't like being fed and so only takes things he can feed himself. He will eat a few bites of bread, banana, or other soft items but usually gags at least once a meal and frequently needs his mouth swept out. I feel bad for him, he is obviously interested but just can't handle solids very well at all. What is wrong with our kids?? Ethan was tucking into his baby food at 4 1/2 months!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 13th, 2014, 04:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It doesn't bother me to have to switch to formula now and then milk in 2 months......because I bet Lilah will have to stay on formula for longer than 2 months with how little she's eating. I do plan to mix the frozen milk with the formula once she's used to formula. She has never had it, so I will have to take it slow with introducing it mixed with fresh breast milk. I'm positive she won't like the taste!

March 13th, 2014, 05:37 AM
Platinum Supermommy
A little update as of this morning - I mixed half frozen milk with half fresh milk and she drank it no problem. I guess I will just do that from now on and then increase the amount of frozen in the bottle. I haven't started weaning yet, so I'm probably going to end up having to freeze more milk if I'm doing half and half. If she ends up taking my frozen milk, she won't need to go on formula as I have enough to get her to a year. If she's still doing badly on solids by a year though, then I guess she'll have to go on formula, which will be very weird!
kurly and rheaimedved like this.

March 13th, 2014, 09:03 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hey that was a good idea! I'm glad she took the mixed bottle. That makes it easy as far as not having to get her to take formula. Woohoo! I'm pretty sure Kody will be nursing till maybe 2 years old or something. I'm sure he'll take solids before then, but right now I'm pretty much his exclusive nutrition, which is kind of annoying. Wish he would take some food, but at least we can feed our babies in the meantime!

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 13th, 2014, 10:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
She took another mixed bottle just now and drank the whole thing, no issues. I guess I'll continue to mix as I wean, and just slowly put less fresh and more frozen in the bottle.More good news - she ate a good breakfast this morning.....probably 2-3oz of fruit mixed with probably 1-2 tbsp of oatmeal!
EverydayJoy likes this.

March 13th, 2014, 07:22 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay so glad she'll take the mixed! You worked too hard for that! And good news too on the food!

March 16th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Glad to hear she'll take the frozen/fresh mixture! Misha is really hit or miss with oatmeal but we can usually mix it up with cream of buckwheat, which he seems to like a bit more. Sometimes it takes him half a day to eat a serving... but it's certainly better than nothing. He can technically eat fine (i.e. no gagging) but just refuses to. He likes puffs/cheerios but we're really yet to find anything that he's consistently happy to eat. Still drinking about 30 oz a day. Really tired of pumping. Can she feed herself?
March 16th, 2014, 11:10 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I just got Lexi to eat bread and cheese this weekend so I am all excited! This morning she also had a Belgian waffle! Absolutely no gagging! I'm wondering if she is just more developmentally ready now.
March 16th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
She can feed herself finger foods but gags very easily.

March 16th, 2014, 12:44 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Erin, what finger foods are you doing now?
March 17th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
No finger foods at all.....just purees. I'm going to do purees for a month or so until she's really used to eating, then I'll try some finger foods.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search