Whole milk transition

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Kenzie
  • 2 Post By kary4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2014, 05:32 PM
May 2013 Cohost
When are you all starting to transition to whole milk? Lexi basically self weaned during the day so I have been pumping breast milk for her to use in a sippy cup at meal times during the day. She still will breastfeed at bedtime - a little, not much- and usually one early am feeding - today it was 5:15 am. Technically she slept through the night! Yeah! The problem is I don't think my pumping supply can keep up with her for her daytime feedings in the sippy cup. She will be 11 months on 4/2 so I was thinking of supplementing with whole milk starting then. I know it's a month early, but it seems pointless to get her used to formula for a month and then switch her again. Besides, she won't touch formula anyway. Any thoughts? I'll be calling my pedi to see if she approves, but wanted to see what you all were doing.
March 23rd, 2014, 06:47 PM
Super Mommy
Funny you should ask, because yesterday was the first day my guy was on full whole milk. We had been doing half formula half whole milk for about a week, and now he is on just whole milk. He loves it, just drinks it slower because it's COLD! And yay on the sleep!!
March 23rd, 2014, 08:14 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
When my first son weaned himself at 11 months, my doc was fine with transitioning him to milk. She recommended starting on soy or almond (and since we have nut allergies in the family, I chose soy) and see how he tolerated it, since the flavor was sweeter like breast milk. Not sure it mattered, he took to anything we gave him. But I mixed what I had left in the freezer in his cups for a while and then he was on straight milk (sometimes cows, sometimes soy). I think it's a good idea to ask their opinion. But I got the okay that time. He was just DONE nursing, so it wasn't like I had a ton of options. Jo is doing a weird nursing thing right now too, but I think it's because she ruptured one ear drum, has an infection in the other, and has a virus on top of it. It's only been this week, so I am hoping that when she goes back to it, I will have milk left for her (I've been hand expressing, I don't respond to the pump). I might be right behind you though, if she decides this is it for nursing (or I dry up).
March 24th, 2014, 03:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was going to start switching Lilah over at 11 months, however even though I'm weaning from the pump and only pumping twice a day, I am still making enough to feed her all fresh milk, which means I still have that huge freezer stash of breast milk. I guess once we are making a good dent in the freezer milk, I will start mixing cows milk into her bottles and slowly increase the amount of cows milk.

I started transitioning my other 2 girls onto cows milk at 11 months, but, they were doing WAY better on solids than Lilah is.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
March 25th, 2014, 12:21 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kary, if I were in your position, I'd get her to drink whatever she will take. You could even see about fortifying her milk, what about those Pedialyte drinks that are like protein shakes? Since you're trying to get calories in her, I'd use every opportunity. Another option is just adding dry milk powder to liquid milk, it makes it extra calorie-dense. Could try flavoring it with a little vanilla if it helps it go down.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
March 25th, 2014, 05:13 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm trying to wean Avery off the daytime nursings period since she'll be starting daycare Monday and I'll be working 12 hour shifts again. I think we've pretty much succeeded. She nurses upon waking in the morning then has breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack, supper, and nurses before bed. She usually wakes once at night around 2am to nurse as well. I am planning on starting her on whole milk as soon as I remember to buy some. Actually was supposed to yesterday. I figure 2 weeks early won't make that much of a difference. She drinks water almost exclusively during the day. I was givung her a little juice or crystal light but it gave her horrific diarrhea. I'm hoping she'll take to the whole milk well so I can wean her completely at a year.
March 25th, 2014, 05:16 PM
May 2013 Cohost
She's had an explosion in table foods! I've been able to get her to eat cheese, bread, waffles...stuff with lots of fat! I've been putting butter on her waffles, butter or olive oil on her veggies, and she's eating full fat cheese. She loves it all! I even have her eating peanut butter and hummus! I think it's paying off! She's also getting better at the sippy cup and is taking it with meals. She still nurses twice in a 24 hr period and is sleeping longer stretches at night now. I'm going to schedule a weight check for next Monday to see where she is at. I'll also talk to the the dr about whole milk. My feeling is she will get more calories from breast milk at this point, but I could be wrong. I'm feeling like I can keep up with her demand if I pump twice a day - it's just tough to keep up with. I would feel less stressed if I knew I had whole milk to fall back on. But stuff I'm reading about doing whole milk too early is scaring me!

I wanted to do water too but I think Lexi gets more calories from the breast milk. As long as she learns to use the sippy cup and gains weight I'm good with anything at this point!What do you do for snacks, Misty? Just curious. All I'm doing is 3 meals a day. With a sippy of breast milk at any time of day.
March 25th, 2014, 05:33 PM
I use the gerber breakfast bars a lot, pudding, applesauce, animal cookies, cheerios, bananas, really just about anything that I can just put in front of her to self feed.
March 25th, 2014, 07:00 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Pudding - I hadn't thought of that! Good idea! Does Avery use a spoon herself yet? I haven't tried that yet with Lexi...
March 25th, 2014, 08:12 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan on keeping Grady on formula until after we get back from Belize. He will be 13 months. By then I hope he will be down to 1-2 bottles a day. After Belize I plan on weaning off bottles completely and then giving whole milk in a sippy. Besides that the doctor advised water, no juice. We'll see how that goes!

April 1st, 2014, 12:00 PM
Ryan and Alex's Mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will probably start at 12 months. We just started giving her yogurt. I'm hoping she's off formula by 13-14 months.

April 1st, 2014, 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Pudding - I hadn't thought of that! Good idea! Does Avery use a spoon herself yet? I haven't tried that yet with Lexi...
I JUST saw this. No she doesn't use a spoon. I give her one to play with while I feed her and she is starting to put it in her mouth finally.
April 1st, 2014, 03:11 PM
Brock's minion
I was planning on switching to half milk half formula at 11 1/2 months and then slowly transition until he's 1. We've been giving him cold formula to get him use to the temp of milk.

Michelle
April 1st, 2014, 04:30 PM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
We have been doing half formula, half whole milk for a few weeks already. He loves it and has no problem drinking it cold. I think he really prefers it that way. =) I also play to lose the bottles at 1. He takes the straw sippy so well now, it'll just be the night bottle that I have to ditch.
Mrsbowbin likes this.
April 1st, 2014, 05:36 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Well my pedi wants me to keep Lexi on breast milk or formula until 12 months because she's small for her age. She says breast milk and formula have way more vitamins and nutrients than whole milk...so it looks like I'll be pumping for another month. Grrr! She turns 1 on May 2, and we head to Florida on May 10, so hopefully I can transition her in a week bc I am not bringing my pump on the trip. The good news is she can take a sippy cup successfully and will drink breast milk cold, so I think transitioning to whole milk will be easy.
April 1st, 2014, 08:42 PM
Brock's minion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenzie View Post
We have been doing half formula, half whole milk for a few weeks already. He loves it and has no problem drinking it cold. I think he really prefers it that way. =) I also play to lose the bottles at 1. He takes the straw sippy so well now, it'll just be the night bottle that I have to ditch.
We're doing the straw cup also, down to just bedtime bottle now.

Michelle
April 1st, 2014, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
Well my pedi wants me to keep Lexi on breast milk or formula until 12 months because she's small for her age. She says breast milk and formula have way more vitamins and nutrients than whole milk...so it looks like I'll be pumping for another month. Grrr! She turns 1 on May 2, and we head to Florida on May 10, so hopefully I can transition her in a week bc I am not bringing my pump on the trip. The good news is she can take a sippy cup successfully and will drink breast milk cold, so I think transitioning to whole milk will be easy.
You might want to take the pump anyway if you are weaning right around that time, because you might end up painfully engorged otherwise. Just a thought!

April 2nd, 2014, 05:30 AM
May 2013 Cohost
You're right Joy. I may actually end up needing to take it. Right now I'm pumping 3 times a day. So maybe I can drop a pump a week prior to the trip. I think I will have enough surplus of milk. And I'm ok starting whole milk a week before she turns one. I just did a weight check for Lexi and she gained 8 oz in 2 weeks! So all my diet changes I am doing for her have worked! Yeah! She is now 16 lbs even.
EverydayJoy and NewlyMrs like this.
April 2nd, 2014, 08:05 AM
That's great that she's gaining so well! If you're worried about her getting enough calories from whole milk, you can add dry milk powder to it, to bulk it up even more.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search