nursing mamas

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 4 Post By Erin80
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By Erin80
  • 3 Post By Counting our Blessings

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on making it a year mamas! It really has went so fast. I am still nursing and as she gets close to year, I'm not ready to be done. I have enjoyed it so much. She is still enjoying it as well and pulls at my shirt when she wants to nurse. I would continue nursing in a heartbeat, but we are ready for number 11 anytime and have been for awhile, but my period has still not returned. I think I may have to completely wean to get it back .

So anyways, I'm just wondering if I am the only one who isn't looking forward to be done nursing?

April 18th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My situation is different because I pump 3 times a day, but I am definitely ready to be done! I'm gonna keep it up until he's more ready to transition primarily to solids, though, and maybe a bit after that, to keep up the benefits of breast milk. He only actually nurses in the rare instance of waking up at night and in the early morning.

Good luck on #11!
April 18th, 2014, 11:40 AM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
I have no intentions of weaning any time soon. Both she and I enjoy nursing. I can't imagine her being done before 18 months at this point. She nurses at least 6 times a day still and really doesn't eat enough food to take out those nursing sessions (I'm sure she would deal if I had to stop though). But, I can understand your dilemma. My cycle came back at 5 months and if we wanted another, it wouldn't be a problem to conceive. So, in that sense, there is no rush. But I felt that way with my second, I wanted to TTC and my cycle wasn't back. But we managed to catch the first ovulation and I got pregnant right when he was a year. So, it did work out okay, but it was probably just luck. Good luck with your choice! Hopefully it works out for you!
April 18th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I just weaned - I think I am finally dried up. I'm SO happy to be done with pumping. She is now on 100% frozen milk and seems to be drinking it with no issues. I have more than enough to get her to a year.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
April 18th, 2014, 12:59 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Lexi self weaned almost a month ago. I started pumping into a sippy cup to keep her on breast milk until she reaches 1. I was so sad and not ready, but now I feel a sense of relief and freedom! I never was comfortable nursing in public and usually she never would anyway, so it was stressful rushing home to nurse. She's eating 3 solid meals plus a snack now, plus gets her sippy cup of milk at mealtimes..she eats almost everything we do! It is so much easier! I love it. I got the green light today from the pedi that I can start supplementing with whole milk bc she's two weeks away from her birthday now! Yeah!
rheaimedved likes this.
April 18th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
I will wean Owen as soon as he's 1. I keep feeling tempted to do it sooner because I am so sick of pumping at work and on the weekends - he pretty much refuses to nurse during the day now unless it's nap time - but I really want to make it to 12 months.

For those who weaned before your milk dried up on its own, what was your process? I would like to stop pumping during the day and then phase out the morning/night feedings over time, but how does that work? I would imagine you'd get engorged if you don't pump as frequently and then your milk would just dry up pretty quickly. Am I wrong?

Also, once your babies switched to cow milk, did you use a bottle or only cups? I know it's probably better to switch to a cup, but Owen isn't a big drinker - more of a sipper - so I don't know how on Earth I'd get him to drink enough without using a bottle. Thoughts?

April 18th, 2014, 03:08 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our nursing relationship is good just the way it is right now! I think for me it's just so much easier to feed him whenever than to have to worry about him getting enough to eat. He has times still when he's teething that he won't do anything but nurse.
The night nursing is still frustrating at times. I would love to be done with that. But it is what it is. At least it's probably helping me not have a period. We're done having children.

I wish you well on your desire for more! Hope you can figure out how to get your cycle back without having to totally wean your little girl.

BTW Lola...I don't see a problem with using a bottle vs. sippy cup at this point. Maybe when he's more like 18 months or so, you might try to get him switched over to a sippy. But at this point, I wouldn't stress it.

As far as the weaning thing...I dunno because I had to do cold turkey with my older one. I just pumped whenever it got too uncomfortable. I did it pretty slow, and I think it was a few weeks before I was all the way dried up. You could definitely do it faster...the less you pump or hand express, the faster it goes. I think dropping one feeding at a time is a great way to go about it.
LolaBadola likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 18th, 2014, 04:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lola - I started cutting minutes off each of my pumps. When I dropped from 3-2, I cut minutes off the middle of the day pump until I was only doing maybe 5 min, and then dropped it completely. I didn't bother dropping from 2-1, I just weaned doing 2 pumps per day......I cut minutes off every other day. One day I just went as long as I could without pumping, and then just ended up pumping for comfort when I needed to. Even though I did it slow, I found the actual drying up part to be a little uncomfortable. I hadn't pumped for a week, so I thought I was done, but I suddenly woke up one morning with a clog in one breast that I had to massage like crazy in a hot shower. The next day, I had a clog in the other breast. I didn't pump at that point since it had been a week, but I did lots of massaging. After that, my boobs shrunk down to their normal pre-breast feeding size (so sad!) and that was the end.

If this post makes no sense it's because my 3 year old has been just constantly talking in my ear since I started typing......VERY hard to listen, think and type all at once!
EverydayJoy likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
April 19th, 2014, 06:57 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
he turns 1 two weeks from today, and we are still going strong. I am going to keep it up as long as he wants. he eats a ton of food and is getting more active and independent, so I am not sure how long it will be until he self weans. at this point though he still loves the boob, especially at night. I bet once he starts sleeping through the night and in his crib it will decrease significantly.

April 21st, 2014, 07:19 AM
MrsLisaT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I love nursing and so does LO so no plans to wean anytime soon. I plan to just let her self wean when she is ready. Though, I get the longing to have another baby and feeling like breast feeding is getting in the way. I seriously thought that I would be pregnant again by now but instead I don't even have my cycles back! But, it probably is a good thing because DD is so attached to me right now and I can't imagine having another one quite yet. It would be so rough for DD to adjust!
April 22nd, 2014, 08:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you ladies for such good feedback! I really don't want to wean her to TTC, so we are just going to keep going and enjoy the nursing. Less stress for her and me, and we will just keep trying. I feel so much better just not worrying about it. I love our relationship, thank you for letting me know that a lot of you are still going strong at 1 year!

April 23rd, 2014, 01:03 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin80 View Post
Lola - I started cutting minutes off each of my pumps. When I dropped from 3-2, I cut minutes off the middle of the day pump until I was only doing maybe 5 min, and then dropped it completely. I didn't bother dropping from 2-1, I just weaned doing 2 pumps per day......I cut minutes off every other day. One day I just went as long as I could without pumping, and then just ended up pumping for comfort when I needed to. Even though I did it slow, I found the actual drying up part to be a little uncomfortable. I hadn't pumped for a week, so I thought I was done, but I suddenly woke up one morning with a clog in one breast that I had to massage like crazy in a hot shower. The next day, I had a clog in the other breast. I didn't pump at that point since it had been a week, but I did lots of massaging. After that, my boobs shrunk down to their normal pre-breast feeding size (so sad!) and that was the end.

If this post makes no sense it's because my 3 year old has been just constantly talking in my ear since I started typing......VERY hard to listen, think and type all at once!
Hahahaha! I am reading this here at work and it made me laugh out loud! All of that made total sense and I appreciate it! One last question...If you stop pumping but still nurse in the morning and at bedtime, do you think there will still be milk for him or do you think it will dry up completely?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search