My trip!

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Shufu_in_Shunan

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 30th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Shufu_in_Shunan's Avatar Padawan Kim
I just wanted to write a quick update! Kaeldra and I have been back from our trip to Washington for a week now, but we both caught colds, so we've been recovering from that. Anyway, traveling with her went pretty well. We had two flights each way-- one which was about 10 hours and one which was about an hour and a half. Our total travel time each way was about 18 hours, including the layovers and some extra travel by bus/car/train.

There were a few stressful moments along the way, but most of them had nothing to do with Kaeldra. We were in the bulkhead seats for the 10 hour flights and had the seat next to us empty both ways, which made things a lot nicer-- more private for nursing and I was also able to use the tray on the other seat to eat my meals. There were two other babies on one of the 10 hour flights and I think Kaeldra was the quietest of all of them. One of the passengers even told me after the flight that she did amazingly well and he didn't hear her at all.

She gave me a pretty hard time on the short flight back home because she was exhausted by that point (that flight was actually changed and pushed back at the last minute and we had to take a bus to a different airport...because our original plane said they didn't have room for my cat...even though I reserved months in advance and even called two days before the flight to double check and make sure everything was okay...argh!) On the new flight, I was seated between two business men and Kaeldra kept trying to grab their suits and throwing things in their laps. And then she cried the other half of the time. Thank goodness that was one of the short flights.

Kaeldra met a ton of people! Grandparents, great grandparents, aunts, uncles, great aunts, cousins, etc. It was actually sort of a stressful trip overall because so many people all over the state wanted to meet her. I think next time I visit I won't be so ambitious in getting to see everyone.

It was good to see my family, though. And now I have my cat with me. We also threw her a small early birthday party so that our relatives could celebrate. We made her a "smush cake," but she didn't like being messy, so it wasn't a big hit with her, haha.

Oh, she also got her first two teeth in while we were there! The first one came in about the day before we left, then the second one came in a few days later. In other news, she is now handing things to me if I hold my hand out and ask her for them. It's so cute!

That's about all I can think of. My husband's parents are coming to visit us in a couple weeks, so that should be fun. I hope everyone has been doing well!

P.S. Baby jet lag is a terrible thing.
kurly likes this.

April 30th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, welcome back! Sounds like a great trip, what fun memories

April 30th, 2014, 08:08 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Kim, that's awesome! What did you do for her carseat in the states? Also, did you end up using a Pack n Play? I'm curious as to how she did in it - did she sleep better?
April 30th, 2014, 08:22 PM
My parents ended up just buying a $50 car seat from Amazon because it was getting down to the wire to find one to borrow. We got a LOT of use out of it, though, so I think it was money well spent. I borrowed a Pack N' Play from my best friend and used it a little bit, mostly to just set her down for a few minutes while I had to use the bathroom. She didn't mind playing with her toys in it for a little while, but it didn't last long. She REFUSED to sleep in it lol. I had to have her in bed with me, as usual. I was nervous about that, since we don't sleep on an elevated bed here, but I placed pillows strategically, just in case. She didn't roll around much, anyway, so it wasn't a problem. It's a bit hard to tell right now because of jet lag and stuff, but she seems to be sleeping better, for the most part. She only woke up once last night.

May 1st, 2014, 02:08 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Kim that's a huge step for Kaeldra with the sleeping! Compared to the 5-6 times you were used to with her?! Wow! Where are you at with breastfeeding? Lexi self weaned at the end of 10 months and I got her on a sippy cup. I'm down to one pumping a day at night (I get about 4 oz) and I mix the breast milk with whole milk. Tomorrow, on her first birthday, I am going to try an entire sippy cup of whole milk and see how she does!
May 2nd, 2014, 06:15 PM
Yeah, much better than getting up every couple hours or more! She's still going to bed pretty late, so she doesn't get as much sleep as I think she should be getting. She's still nursing often, so I don't see us weaning soon. I've been trying to feed her more solids, but she's picky with the foods with more texture to them. She seems to like it if it's me giving her pieces of my food, so I think I'll try more of that. I've been giving her sippy cups with water, but she doesn't usually tilt it back far enough. She's too used to drinking from my water bottle with a straw, I think. I might have to get her her own lol.

May 2nd, 2014, 07:33 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow I'm so glad she is sleeping better! That's a huge step in the right direction.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
May 2nd, 2014, 09:22 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Kim, your next step is to slowly scale back her bedtime so it isn't as late...is that possible??
May 7th, 2014, 12:19 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like a wonderful whirlwind trip. Glad you had fun! And yay for having your kitty back!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search