Milk hater!

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By misty3281
  • 1 Post By NewlyMrs
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By mrsjl
  • 1 Post By Erin80
  • 1 Post By EverydayJoy
  • 1 Post By rheaimedved

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 28th, 2014, 02:24 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
Ugh, not sure what to do. Owen is refusing to drink anything except breastmilk and water. I've tried mixing some BF with cow's milk, but he spits it out. I am so tired of pumping, but don't want to go cold turkey on him. Anyone else experience this at first? When did it get better? I'm wondering if he may just never be a milk drinker, in which case I guess I'll just up his dairy intake in other ways...

May 28th, 2014, 07:32 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you tried Lactaid? Avery wasn't a big fan of regular whole milk so my sister suggested Lactaid whole milk. It already has the sugars broken down so it tastes sweeter. She likes it a lot better than regular whole milk. I give it to her warmed in a bottle at night as part of our bedtime routine and she does really well with it.
LolaBadola and EverydayJoy like this.
May 29th, 2014, 07:53 AM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Grady didn't like the milk at first either so I started mixing in just really small amounts to his formula. Breast milk and cows milk are so different though I could see why he is rejecting it. What about almond milk?

Thanks for the suggestion on the Lactaid, Misty. Grady was drinking milk just fine but got super constipated. I put him back on formula until we can find a solution. I think I'll try that!
EverydayJoy likes this.

May 29th, 2014, 12:29 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks, Misty! I will try that too!

May 30th, 2014, 07:35 AM
May 2013 Cohost
When my son turned one he had a hard time too..I actually mixed in plain yogurt with whole milk in his sippy so it was kind of like a smoothie..I did it for a full month. Eventually I just reduced the yogurt and he finally accepted it.

What were your proportions of breast milk to whole milk, Lola? Try 3/4 breast milk, 1/4 whole milk for a week. Then do 1/2 and 1/2 for another week. Then 3/4 whole, 1/4 breast. And finally all whole milk.
LolaBadola likes this.
May 31st, 2014, 07:55 AM
mrsjl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my guy doesn't like cow's milk either. he still breastfeeds and gets calcium and vitamin D elsewhere though so I'm not worried. might try almond milk though, good idea.
LolaBadola likes this.

May 31st, 2014, 06:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lilah was easy to transition to cows milk, she's not picky about her bottles, she just wants a bottle! My middle daughter was trickier though. I did 3/4 breast milk to 1/4 cows milk for a week, half and half for 2 weeks, then 1/4 to 3/4 for 1 weeks, and finally straight cows milk.
LolaBadola likes this.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
June 2nd, 2014, 08:19 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are lots of other alternatives to cow's milk to try, too, like rice milk, oat milk, help milk, hazelnut milk, and 7 grain milk (Pacific Foods brand). Nut & Grain Beverages - Pacific Foods
The calcium content of pretty much all of those is comparable to cow's milk. The only things that you might have to "supplement" on, depending on the drink, is protein and fat.
LolaBadola likes this.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 2nd, 2014, 12:37 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
When my son turned one he had a hard time too..I actually mixed in plain yogurt with whole milk in his sippy so it was kind of like a smoothie..I did it for a full month. Eventually I just reduced the yogurt and he finally accepted it.

What were your proportions of breast milk to whole milk, Lola? Try 3/4 breast milk, 1/4 whole milk for a week. Then do 1/2 and 1/2 for another week. Then 3/4 whole, 1/4 breast. And finally all whole milk.

Great suggestion for proportions! Trying it this week!

June 2nd, 2014, 01:45 PM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
How much milk should our kiddos be drinking daily at this point? It seems like I am going through milk too fast!!
June 2nd, 2014, 07:43 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All they really need right now is 16 oz a day. Less if you include other dairy sources like yogurt or cheese.
June 15th, 2014, 12:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We give Misha goat's milk, sometimes by itself and sometimes mixed with breast milk, but he has no problems with it.
EverydayJoy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search