OMG.....need sleep help badly! Is there anyone left here???

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 6th, 2014, 05:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hey guys,I know it isn't all that active in here anymore, but I'm hoping someone is still out there because I didn't know where else to go about this!
My husband has been away on business for 2 weeks, and I have been on my own here with our 3 girls. Lilah decided that this would be a GREAT time to stop sleeping.
She is waking at least twice a night, which wouldn't normally be a huge deal, BUT...she refuses to go back to sleep until she's had a bottle. She is NOT hungry. She eats all day long and always has a great dinner, then a bottle right before bed too. She gets 20oz of whole milk a day, I do not let her have more than that.
For the past week, she has been up at 11:30pm, then again at 4am. I have given her Advil (every night before bed for the past week because she is getting a couple of molars), then I give her advil or tylenol when she wakes in the night. I have tried rocking her, water, letting her fuss.....she is relentless. She will stay awake for hours, literally, whining, crying and fussing. The other night I let it go from 11:30pm - 2am before I finally gave in and gave her a bottle. She doesn't settle instantly from the bottle either, but she does settle within 10 min and goes back to sleep.

I don't know what to do. I feel like a ZOMBIE. It feels like I have a newborn. Any ideas? I am *almost* at the point of letting her just cry, which I have never done with her before. At almost 13 months though, she's really no longer a little baby......I don't know. This is so hard and I'm so frustrated. She's then up at 6am for the day too. It's like she just does NOT need to sleep.

I meant to add that those 2 bottles in the night mean she only then gets 2 bottles during the day....one at lunch time and one at bed time. She is not impressed with not getting a bottle when she wakes up and she asks for it every day - which I respond to with snacks. If it were breast milk, I wouldn't care...but it's not, so I limit it.

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
June 6th, 2014, 05:23 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are between houses right now and all living in one bedroom at my sisters house. Needless to say I havent had a full night of sleep in several months so I dont have much to offer in that regard. Avery goes in her crib around 730 but wakes about 11 or 12 then comes in our bed and wakes several times after that to nurse or play or whatever. And then I get up at 5am to get ready to work 12 hours in an ER. I gave up on sleep a long time ago. I hope once we have our own house in a couple weeks it wont take too long to get her sleeping through in her own bed. I do streamline coffee though. So that helps. They do get a growth spurt around 1 year too. Is it possible that's what has her being difficult? Also I've heard Melatonin works well to help them sleep.
June 6th, 2014, 06:50 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Gosh that stinks. What if you started putting water in her bottles at night?

Also, maybe you shouldn't limit her milk during the day? I think 24 oz is ok - that would be 3 cups a day. Why do you limit? Just curious.
June 6th, 2014, 07:32 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say whatever it takes to get some sleep-even if that means more milk . Sorry you're having a rough time!

June 7th, 2014, 05:35 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks guys! I limit her milk because I've heard they really aren't supposed to have more than 24 oz a day of cows milk - so I just limit it to 20oz to keep it below the maximum I guess. I do 4 5oz bottles, but now 2 of those are in the night.

I don't know if it's a growth spurt or teething, or habit now.

June 7th, 2014, 08:37 AM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They only need 2 servings of dairy a day (16 oz), including the dairy in other foods besides milk like yogurt and cheese. Too much dairy can cause anemia. I think 20 oz is a decent amount to stick with. I hope ot works itself out quickly for you. I know sleep deprivation is brutal.
June 7th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I wish I had a great answer for you! Have you tried water in a sippy cup and a night light? She might be able to find it in her crib by herself and put herself back to sleep? Okay, that sounds to good to be true . Sorry, I got nothing.

June 9th, 2014, 04:44 AM
Platinum Supermommy
LOL, thanks. I tried water a few nights ago and she wanted nothing to do with it - definitely not thirst.The past 2 nights (fingers crossed) she is just back to up once a night (around 3-4am) for a bottle, then back to sleep until 6-7am.
I know when she's had growth spurts in the past, she has done the twice a night bottle thing for a bit, then has always gone back to once a night. Maybe it was a growth spurt? I have no idea! At 13 months though, I am weaning her right off the middle of the night bottle....so that will be fun....

June 9th, 2014, 09:19 AM
Kenzie's Avatar Photography Momma
Carter has been waking a couple nights a week simply because he can't fall back to sleep. After a ten minute rock, he falls back to sleep. ((((HUGS)))) hopefully she gets back to normal soon!!
June 10th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Brock's minion
I'm with you in the no sleep department. Brock has been falling asleep by 8pm every night but as soon as I doze off around midnight he starts screaming. He doesn't want me to hold him or sing or move for that matter. Some nights I'm left with him just rolling on the carpet in his room half in a daze. He hits his head on things, falls trying to stand and screams nonstop. Today wasn't too bad just 3am-5am but I'm loosing my friggin mind. I am so grateful to not be pregnant right now, I don't know what I would do.

Michelle
June 11th, 2014, 09:44 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Michelle, that sounds bizarre! I wonder if it's something like night terrors---even though that's not supposed to be until later on in childhood? So weird...poor guy. Poor you!

Erin, if it were me, I would do whatever was the easiest thing to get her (and you) back to sleep the fastest. If you don't like the idea of extra bottles of straight cow's milk, why not give her a toddler formula at night or during the day, whichever is easier? I have found that for Kody, any little upset he has--teething, or illness--will make him "backslide" as far as his progress with solids, and go back to mostly nursing for his nutrition for a couple of days. Then he'll slowly go back to normal. If she really wants a bottle, why deprive her? Especially if she won't take no for an answer. I know I would be too tired to argue! But then I still nurse Kody back to sleep 5 or 8 times a night or so every night. Because it's easier than listening to him scream for 2 hours at a time and then sleep for 20 minutes only to wake and scream again. We all sleep more, even if it means "giving in" to my growing dictator. Of course, there are some things you must draw the line on, but if she wants her nutrition in liquid form for a few days, I don't see a problem with that.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 16th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks Our nights have been atrocious lately. She is getting all 4 molars (one is almost in, the others are just cutting through), and today I felt her first eye tooth has cut through, which means the others are probably coming too. I know this is why she's having such a hard time. I give her medicine before bed, and a bottle. I give her a bottle whenever she wakes in the night (as well as Tylenol usually!) because it really helps soothe her. Milk aside though, she's waking every hour crying and fussing. Sometimes she'll find her soother and go back to sleep, sometimes me rocking her works, and I limit it to 2 bottles in the night (one around 11:30, and one around 5am.....she doesn't need both every night though, sometimes it's just one bottle around 1 or 2am). We are really just doing whatever we have to do to get some sleep because it is SCARCE right now.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search