Weight

Forum: May 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kary4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 16th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lilah is 20lbs, and 29 1/2 inches. My doctor said she has fallen off her growth curve for weight, and that we maybe should be getting concerned. She's between the 25-50%ile for weight....so I don't really get why we need to be concerned. She's got leg rolls and definitely is not a thin baby. My Dr showed me on her chart how Lilah's weight shot up between 0-3 months, then slowly started tapering off. Between 6-12 months it really tapered off....but that is when she learned to crawl, walk, and she had a very late start to solids due to her horrible gag reflex (we are on 100% table foods now, no more puree's at all, she never chokes or gags). My Dr agrees that Lilah seems fine, but she said that because she has slowed down with her weight gain so much, she had to mention it to me. She asked if I wanted to see the nutritionist......I said no. I've fed 2 other babies, Lilah is my third....I know how to do it! Would you be concerned??? Lilah has never been a big eater, even when she was on strictly breast milk - she'd only ever drink 4oz at a time....but that was every 2 1/2 hrs on the dot. She eats small amounts of solids frequently now and has about 20oz of cows milk (more like 25oz these days because of teething).

Thank you Kiliki... for my adorable signature!
June 17th, 2014, 07:37 AM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hmm, I don't think I'd be immediately concerned. Is her pedi comparing her growth to before the 0-3 month growth curve? Kody had some weight fluctuations too, due to the reflux thing.
Also reflux can be an issue with feeding even after the 1 year mark. I figure with Kody, the gaggy thing is because of that, and I just try to do the best I can with feeding him. Some days are better than others.
I know I already suggested this, but maybe a toddler formula might be in order, if she just is not as keen on table foods as she ought to be at this age. If you don't like the idea of formula, you could mix powdered milk or some other protein source with her regular cow's milk bottles, to up the calorie content and maybe get her back up on her growth curve. I think though that it's pretty normal for babies to fluctuate on their weight when they get more mobile.
Sounds like your doc was just mentioning it more out of a sense of duty, than true concern.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
June 17th, 2014, 08:15 AM
May 2013 Cohost
I wouldn't be concerned at all..but I would start offering more higher calorie foods like avocado and hummus if you want to get her weight up. Scrambled egg with cheese, melted butter on waffles, etc. We are doing that with Lexi, who fell off her her curve at 9 months. I don't think Lilah would drink a toddler formula bc the taste of formula is so different and she never drank formula anyway. I'd stick with high fat, high protein foods at this point.
EverydayJoy likes this.
June 17th, 2014, 02:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like your doctor is being pretty calm and rational about this, and doesn't sound overly concerned. I think when babies start/continue to drop down in percentiles, they have an obligation to bring it up. Remember, weight projections account for the fact that weight gain starts to taper off at certain points, so they're looking at the fact that growth has slowed more than what is to be expected.

From his 6th, to 9th, to 12th (actually 13th) month appointments, Misha has dropped from 99th to 94th to 85th percentile in weight (at 13 months he is 24 lbs, 6 oz; at 9 months he was 23 lbs 4 oz) and they have talked with us about it both times. For us, the big problem is that he still has a bit of an aversion to solids, exacerbated by a recent (through brief) illness and teething, probably. His head growth has also dropped from 98th percentile to 70th, so that's something they want to pay closer attention to. Our doctor was quick to point out that some babies just aren't going to have huge heads as adults, so a drop in percentile doesn't necessarily mean anything at all.

Anyway, all this to say that I think they're doing the right thing by talking to you about it, but I don't think you should be overly concerned at this point. Keep feeding her, offering her new foods, giving her lots of the things she does it, keep up the cow's milk, etc. I add lots of butter and heavy cream (or at least whole milk) when I make porridge or eggs for the baby, but since he's hardly eating any solids right now, I just add whole goat's milk to breast milk and try to feed him more frequently.

Anyway, don't panic and good luck!
June 17th, 2014, 02:29 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally I would not worry. Like you said you have done this twice before. I would rely on your mommy instincts and if you feel she is getting enough then she probably is

June 17th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LolaBadola
I wouldn't worry either! And I think everyone on here has offered a lot of great advice. Go with your gut. Owen is 32 inches long and only weighs 22 lbs, which puts him in the 30th percentile for weight and 80th for height. Our ped said he prefers to see babies more on the lean side than heavier. I didn't really ask why, but maybe it's because there's such an issue with childhood obesity nowadays. Anyway, don't sweat it! I'm sure she'll be fine...

June 21st, 2014, 12:27 PM
Super Mommy
My niece is 20 months and weighs 18 pounds. She's totally fine! Some babies/people are just small.

I would say if she's not looking/acting sickly- and eats fine- no worries.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search