Benjamin Richard Ames

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By ShawnaCAN

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Grand Entrances of our Little Woodlanders LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 14th, 2012, 12:28 PM
ShawnaCAN's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

October 13th, 7:35pm, 9lbs

I really couldn't have asked for a smoother birth. Regular contractions started around 5am on Friday October 12th, and when all my usual tricks to settle them didn't work - I decided to call my midwife. They weren't painful though, just uncomfortable and too regular to ignore (3 minutes apart). It stayed that way all day, all through the night (I did get some spurts of sleep), still going all Saturday morning. My MW checked Ben's position and the little stinker had moved into a posterior position. So that's why things weren't progressing. She did the Diaphragmic Release technique to move him into a better position that would hopefully allow the contractions to be more effective. I also decided to take some castor oil to kick things up a notch. While we waited for that to take effect, I walked around and the little stinker moved posterior again! My MW moved him one more time just as the contractions started really intensifying (thanks to the castor oil!)

So about 2:30pm is when things really picked up, so we're calling that the start of "real" labour. Even then, the contractions were not hard to cope with - they were intense, but didn't last long with nice breaks in between. I got in the pool around 4:30pm, DH made a nice fire in the fireplace to make sure the room would be toasty for baby. Only the very last hour was really painful; I was crying during contractions. Still had nice breaks in between though, so overall it was not that bad. I got out to pee and as I was on my way back to the pool; a contraction hit and my water finally broke. There was some screaming. The pressure was intense and I could feel baby was right there, but I resisted the urge to push because I wanted to get back in the pool first. Next contraction he crowned, next one after that he was born.

I LOVE water birth. I am not swollen and hardly even sore today. Just the after pains whenever Ben nurses, YOUCH!

We had booked a photographer, but couldn't reach her all day. She had given us the wrong cell phone number! By the time she got her messages at home, Ben was about to be born...and it was all over when she got to our house. She felt so bad! She still took some photos for us, and I'm excited to see them.

Another bonus; no internals at all. My MW generally doesn't do them unless I ask anyway, but she wanted to try a new thing: Science & Sensibility » The Red/Purple Line: An Alternate Method For Assessing Cervical Dilation Using Visual Cues

So she was watching for my "line." Nice. LOL She claims (and DH witnessed) that it was right at the 10cm mark right before my water broke and I wanted to push.

The kids will be home later today to meet their little brother!
October 14th, 2012, 12:56 PM
LoverlyJules's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Beautiful picture!

Congrats, mama!!

October 14th, 2012, 01:25 PM
cincy1luv's Avatar 1st time mommy
Congratulations glad it all went well!! Hes a cutie!!
October 14th, 2012, 01:56 PM
sugarloafbaby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! Glad you had a great birth- I loved the water tOo!

Thank you .:Shortcake:. for my siggy!

October 14th, 2012, 06:23 PM
abur's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cute!!!!! Congrats on your water birth and sweet little guy
#2 EDD: 10/05/2014

October 14th, 2012, 08:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wonderful birth story! Congrats on your sweet boy! I agree...water is wonderful! Your story reminded me so much of Vincent's birth. Enjoy him!

October 15th, 2012, 08:43 AM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
Great story! I've been watching home birth videos from the UK and they talk about/show the line!

October 15th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats on an awesome birth!

October 17th, 2012, 02:28 PM
JaxonsMom2010's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats! So glad you had a good experience.

October 18th, 2012, 05:36 AM
TerriLF's Avatar Super Mommy
So cute!! I am glad your labor went so well.
October 18th, 2012, 08:36 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
What is " Diaphragmic Release technique"? Congrats again

October 19th, 2012, 03:30 PM
This explains it - if you look at the pictures, that's exactly what she did. Very gentle and non-invasive, but it sure works! Within a short time, my stomach started to roll because baby was changing position.

Abdominal Release | spinningbabies.com
October 20th, 2012, 03:45 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
What a wonderful birth story!! I'm glad you got back in the water before he came. lol. He is absolutely precious! Sorry your photographer didn't make it in time; that's a little disappointing. Can't wait to see more pics of your little man.

October 24th, 2012, 04:40 AM
therevslady's Avatar Built for Birth
Congratulations! I was teaching a nurse about the red/purple line technique last week. My client had a check and was 6cm. 10 minutes later, I could hear in her voice that she was getting pushy and I checked the line and it was complete. I told the nurse that she was complete and ready to push and she didn't believe me. She said, "How could you know that without giving a cervical exam?!" So I showed the line to her and she did a cervical exam and sure enough, it was right on. It's a cool trick. Is your midwife doing an official study on it? That's awesome that she's using it to assess labor!

October 24th, 2012, 07:53 AM
No study, she just started reading about it recently and so has been watching for it during the last few births she's attended to see for herself whether it correlates! She does very few internals anyway; she feels they are unnecessarily intrusive most of the time. After 30+ years as a midwife, she can usually tell where a Mom is at just by listening and watching her. She can read me like a book anyway! LOL
November 29th, 2012, 03:31 PM
*AngieKH*'s Avatar Mom of 4
Glad things went well and you got back to the water in time!

Grace (7), Elijah (4), Hannah (1), baby boy (coming soon)
plus 3 step-kids Brandon (18), Sarah (16) and Adam (13)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search