Having "The Talk" with an 8 year old

Forum: Moms of Girls

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MommytoZoeAlyssa

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Moms of Girls LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 20th, 2013, 12:26 PM
GingerMomof3's Avatar Regular
My husband and I are TTC and have taken out my IUD this week so I've started a heavy period for the first time in 6 years. My 8 year old daughter has started asking questions about why I need pads that are in my bathroom. Why is my tummy hurting, etc. She also wants to know how me and her dad are "trying to have a baby." She's my first and only child so I'm clueless as to how to answer her questions while keeping it age appropriate?? Any suggestions on how you handled this or plan to? Thanks!
October 23rd, 2013, 11:52 AM
2pinks&ablue's Avatar Chantelle
I think at this age it's more important to answer their questions honestly, without giving them any information that they aren't asking for. Basically, answer their questions truthfully, but keep the answers short.
November 7th, 2013, 09:56 AM
MommytoZoeAlyssa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My daughter is 7 and ask some general questions nothing to much yet but I know its going to happen soon. I was looking around online and I thought this might help with how to explain the period and why your using the pads. It has some useful info.
First Period Talk - Pick Your Day to Talk to Your Daughter | Kotex®

good luck
GingerMomof3 likes this.

November 7th, 2013, 11:54 PM
GingerMomof3's Avatar Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoes_Mommy View Post
My daughter is 7 and ask some general questions nothing to much yet but I know its going to happen soon. I was looking around online and I thought this might help with how to explain the period and why your using the pads. It has some useful info.
First Period Talk - Pick Your Day to Talk to Your Daughter | Kotex®

good luck
Thank you for sharing that with me!! Her biggest question now is "How do ya'll try to have a baby?" And all I have done so far is change the subject, lol. I did tell her once that it was something that her dad & I pray about together & that satisfied her for the moment. But she still questions it on occasion.

Last edited by GingerMomof3; November 7th, 2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: ETA
November 8th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
A few months ago I talked to my daughter about puberty and starting her period just because I know that kids are starting sooner and sooner (this scares the crap out of me). My daughter is 7 now. I haven't talked to her about babies or anything yet just that change and hair and stuff. I don't know when I will talk to her about babies. I think she might be a little young for that.

2 beautiful angels with me and 6 angels up in heaven.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search