Low beta?:(

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 28th, 2012, 01:22 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
Hi ladies. Had my first beta drawn yesterday at roughly 12-13 dpo and it was only 28. I'm worried because this seems low and the doc didn't seem willing to do another beta, just told me to wait for my nine wk apt with my ob. Do you think it's still okay? I'm worried! Also had really light cramps earlier so I'm freaked out!
September 28th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Melliesbelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HCG Levels in Pregnancy

From what I've understood, there is a really big range for beta draws. Don't stress yourself out!!

SO to Brian
Mommy to Liam, and Gage!

September 28th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Oilfield_Wife's Avatar TTC#3
My doc won't even do a beta right now but I am going when i am about 6 weeks so I'm guessing he will do some blood work then. The cramping is normal.....baby is snuggling in (or at least that's what I've been told ) The best thing to do is just try and relax and don't stress.

**Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy**

September 28th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran
Do they always do beta checks? I don't remember that with DS.

ETA:I have light cramping too and I remember that clearly with DS because I was so worried about it but he's beautiful and perfect so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Last edited by Brie289; September 28th, 2012 at 02:12 PM.
September 28th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Thanks ladies. This is new and I'm so nervous! I know cramps are normal I just needed to hear it again! I'm still concerned about the beta but I know there's nothing I can do even if there is an issue so I'm just going to have to try to relax.
September 28th, 2012, 03:25 PM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would push for another if your really worried just to put your mind at eade. My first at that time was only 25 and i was worried...but my next was 123 after 48 hrs. I felt so much better. Try not to stress. The first number isnt to important...just if it rises. A second draw isnt needed but it helps you relax some. Just ask.

Btw, i asked for the tests to be done cause i have progesterone issues but my doc doesnt always do them. He didnt with my first.
September 29th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks so much, hearing that your first beta was close to mine and then improved makes me feel so much better! Still having some cramping today, but my boobs are also a lot more sore and firmer and oddly that's making me feel better LOL.
September 29th, 2012, 10:47 AM
Melliesbelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kit.kat.81 View Post
Still having some cramping today, but my boobs are also a lot more sore and firmer and oddly that's making me feel better LOL.
It's the little things like that that make you crazy during pregnancy! Hehe.

SO to Brian
Mommy to Liam, and Gage!

September 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's not so much the actual number, but how it rises... which is why they should do another, since you already had one! It can start low, but as long as it doubles everything should be OK. 25 isn't very low, it's in the range of normal
October 1st, 2012, 06:12 AM
LifesGood's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
25 is normal and cramps are normal. whats more important is that the numbers increase fast enough. Im sure its ok hun

Jaidynsmum is my siggy hero!

October 1st, 2012, 08:41 PM
Well this morning I called my doc's office and told the receptionist that I really felt I needed another beta to show if the levels were rising. She said "sure! I'll have the doctor write up the orders right now, you can come in any time between 9 and noon and have your blood drawn." I asked twice if she was sure I could do it, and she said she was. I was psyched and ran in right before work. Well, I sat there for an HOUR waiting before the doctor's nurse pulled me aside. I had seen someone other than my PCP for the first draw because I just wanted the first apt. His nurse is NOT impressing me, AT ALL.

HER: "you don't need more lab work, we already did a blood draw. You're pregnant. Relax."

ME: "I know I'm pregnant, I want to see if my levels are doubling and I need TWO draws for that."

HER (pulling out my results from last time): "See? You're pregnant, no doubt. (points to a section on the print-out that indicates that >5 = positive) It says there that your results are normal."

ME: "No, it says there that I'm pregnant. It doesn't tell me anything about my levels and how they're rising. Above five just means pregnant, not "normal."

HER: "Well, you'll have to make an apt with your regular doctor if you want a draw then. You don't need one so your insurance won't cover it."

ME: "I have a deductable anyway. I don't care, I'll pay for it."

HER: "Sorry, no."

ME: "So you're telling me that I've been sitting here for over an hour for nothing, and no one could have told me this over the phone? They told me they were putting in the orders over an hour ago. Can't you just ask him to put them in?"

HER: "Nope. You were misinformed. See the ladies out front for an apt with your PCP."

At this point I'm shaking and almost crying. I stormed out to the receptionists and ask about an apt. Well, of course my PCP has nothing for three weeks. At this point I start to cry and explain that I've now been in the office an hour and a half for nothing, and basically BEG the receptionist to ask my PCP to just sign the orders without an apt since I'd already been seen by another doc in the office last week. Of course THIS takes another hour. FINALLY they say she'll sign them, and I start to go back with one of the phlebotomists. Well, there's Nurse Ratchet by the door, and she stops the phlebotomist and is like "She doesn't have orders. I already explained that to her."

@#%^$* almost got her lights knocked out. I was all "UM, YEAH I DO, I WENT ABOVE YOUR HEAD, LADY. THANKS FOR ABSOLUTLY NOTHING!"

And then they STILL had a delay in getting the orders from my doc, and it took OVER THREE HOURS for one tube of blood. *sigh*

But it's done, and I find out my level tomorrow. If it's too low, at least I can call my OB and give her data and try to get HER to write more orders to re-test, because I am DONE with that office. I'm getting a new PCP, NOW.

I'm so peeved at how insensitive and dismissive that nurse was with me. She acted like I was a crazy, hysterical person for wanting to know that my pregnancy was on-track. She acted like I didn't understand the dang test results when SHE was the one who clearly had NO CLUE what they meant and why one level is not that useful. I'm going to call and complain about her later this week, because that's not okay. She wasted hours of my work day because she decided that she knew best and refused to just ASK for the orders, and I had to waste time going above her. UGGGHH!

At any rate, sorry for the novel - needed to vent to people who will understand why that was SO upsetting! Keep your FX for me that my levels doubled on target! I feel hopeful because I took a First Response Rapid Result (NOT a FRER) that I had left over from when I accidentally bought some instead of FRERS. From what I can gather their sensitivity is about 100 miu/ml - at any rate not nearly as good as a FRER since you use them the day of your missed period and not 6 days before. And the line showed up RIGHT away and was as dark as the control! So I think that's a good sign!

October 2nd, 2012, 05:14 AM
elizabethchallis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Fingers crossed for you! I totally understand you just wanting to he reassured. I'm sorry they gave you such a hard time. My doctors office sucks like that too sometimes

6 weeks 10 weeks 4 weeks

October 2nd, 2012, 06:54 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry they gave you such a hard time. My sister is a nurse and she always tells me she is amazed by what the way other nurses get off treating people. At her hospital they actually give them classes in their continuing ed on bedside manner and how to deal calmy and effectively with patients and their families. Sounds like they need to send your nurse over to that. What a witch!

October 2nd, 2012, 08:16 AM
Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ben,Logan&Kaitlin'sMommy
What a racket!
omg I am so sorry they gave you hell!!!
hang in there

Our Crew!

Nathan (12) Liam (9) Benjamin (8)
Savannah (6) Logan (4) Katie (21 months)

It may be crazy but we love it!

εϊз Some People Dream of Angels But I Held One In My Arms εϊз
Rebecca Lee Stillborn 10-30-03
October 2nd, 2012, 08:29 AM
Diamond2009's Avatar Boss Mama
Fx'd your numbers are excellent

Forever in our hearts
Lauren born sleeping July 5th 2012 at 18 weeks
Boo Boo's heart stopped beating at 13 weeks D&C Feb 2013

Hoping & praying for our rainbow baby after 2 back to back 2nd trimester losses

October 2nd, 2012, 10:10 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What an unprofessional, ridiculous ordeal. Glad to see you stood up for yourself and got what you felt was right. I agree....get a new PCP stat!

October 2nd, 2012, 12:05 PM
LifesGood's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
wow that is nuts. hoping for good numbers

Jaidynsmum is my siggy hero!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search