does everyone take OTC prenatal vitamins?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 7th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I was just wondering if anyone waits until they see the doctor to get a prescription for vitamins. Last time, my doc said it OTC ones were fine. So I've always taken Kroger brand ones that come in a combo pack with the DHA supplement.

October 7th, 2012, 09:21 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I take the Walmart brand, that has the prenatals and DHA boxed together, but in 2 different bottles. I haven't had a problem with them yet. My doc said any OTC prenatal is fine.

October 7th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Regular
I asked my doctor and she wrote me a prescription, but she said the OTC ones were the same thing. When I went to pick them up, I was going to have to pay $60 for the prescription ones after my insurance! I decided just to go wit the OTC which as less than $20.
I am taking the Similac with DHA ones that come in two separate bottles. The only thing my doctor said was to make sure it has the DHA.
October 7th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Oilfield_Wife's Avatar TTC#3
My doc said OTC are the same. I will most likely just stick with them. Prescriptions are expensive even if you have insurance.

**Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy**

October 7th, 2012, 10:54 AM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
I got prescription ones, because I have a good health plan and they're actually cheaper that way for me.

October 7th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Melliesbelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I take the OTC Similac brand, which like the Target and Walmart brands, are a duo. It's neat. I learned early on last pregnancy that every single prenatal vitamin out there makes me sick except the gummies (which are stupid expensive, and actually don't even have the same content as most "normal" prenatal vitamins), so I'll just weather through it. Splitting it in half helps. Though that's kind of off topic, ha.

SO to Brian
Mommy to Liam, and Gage!

October 7th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I take a generic OTC ones and then a Fish Oil-Borage Oil-Flaxseed Oil combo capsule.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
October 7th, 2012, 12:26 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
Taking OTC as well... one a day with seperate DHA supplement.
October 7th, 2012, 01:11 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I was still taking walmart brand prenatals because I was nursing, so I'm just sticking with them. It comes out cheaper than prescription ones for me.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
October 7th, 2012, 08:25 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah I use nature made prenatals and my doctor prescribed me 1mg of folic acid as well. He is really big on taking 2000+ mcg of folic acid a day until the first trimester is over at least. He had me on folic acid as soon as we started seeing him to get pregnant.

After typing this post I checked my prenatals and they do not have DHA! I am completely blanking on the ones I took with DS - but I know they had DHA and now I'm going to run out tomorrow and switch it up. Boo that complete multivitamin my butt!

Last edited by phantomsgrl11; October 7th, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
October 7th, 2012, 08:30 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I ordered chewable prenatals online after a recommendation from my doctor. They were really inexpensive and taste good. I have a REALLY hard time taking prenatals so he recommended this brand to me so its an OTC one.

October 16th, 2012, 08:21 AM
I take an OTC prenatal vitamin called Premama Prenatal Drink Mix. I highly recommend it, especially if you're in the morning sickness months. I was so sick with my first 3 pregnancies and I couldn't keep any prenatals down. I'm pregnant with my 4th and I just discovered this brand. It's a flavorless powder that you can mix with any drink. I mix it with gatorade and you can't even taste it It's a lot more affordable than prescriptions too.
October 16th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Right now Im taking Target brand but Im not sure what I will get when these run out.

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
October 16th, 2012, 10:24 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I need to get some. I have postnatals for nursing moms right now. They usually make me really sick so I am bad at taking them.

October 16th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am taking the nature made prenatals with DHA. My dr said they were fine plus the prescription ones are so expensive.

October 16th, 2012, 11:05 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The day after I got my BFP's on home pregnancy tests, I went to the doctor's office (they take walk-ins for urine preg. tests) and when it came back positive, the doctor counselled me for a few minutes and wrote me an Rx for the vitamins. I don't have insurance currently, but Giant Eagle (A super market chain here, in case they're not nationwide) has a program where a 90 day supply of prenatal vitamins are free, so I did that.

October 16th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Super Mommy
I take a stop & shop brand called care one...they are equivalent to stewart prenatal vitamins..my doc gave me alot of otc ones to try but i like the one im taking so he said i could continue taking them
October 16th, 2012, 11:50 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.June2013 View Post
I ordered chewable prenatals online after a recommendation from my doctor. They were really inexpensive and taste good. I have a REALLY hard time taking prenatals so he recommended this brand to me so its an OTC one.
What brand is it? I've been looking for something I don't have to swallow, I hate big pills!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

October 16th, 2012, 06:46 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I take the chewable prenatals made by VitaFusion. They don't upset my tummy at all. But beforewarned, because they taste really good they don't put iron in them because they appeal to children, so if you have problems with anemia you may want to find a different brand. Doc says as soon as my tummy is feeling better I will just add an iron supplement..

But they have DHA, the same vitamin levels as my horse pill kind, and 800mg of folic acid. They have worked well for me

October 17th, 2012, 06:42 AM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have to look around for them!

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search