"advanced maternal age".....seriously?!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By laurhob
  • 3 Post By lalap
  • 1 Post By amyhk
  • 2 Post By enchantingdragon
  • 1 Post By Steph625

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I had my 1st appt today with the nurse. She told me I'm considered advanced maternal age because I'll be 35 when the baby is born. My birthday is in May. Gah! I thought it was if you were 35 when you got pregnant. Apparently not. So I'm supposed to have the routine "old lady" tests this time. Like a blood test and 2nd ultrasound at 11-13 weeks for Down's Syndrome and other chromosomal abnormalities. And then have some nonstress tests during the last 2 months of pregnancy. I kind of like the idea of having another early u/s but it still makes me nervous. Not that I would do anything if they say something is wrong. I'm just not used to the idea of me being considered somewhat high risk because of my age. I told the nurse I am 24 in my head, but apparently that didn't matter too much

Any other "old farts" have the 11-13 week test/ultrasound for Down's?

October 12th, 2012, 09:05 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
That test is the NT scan and it is offered for many women. I personally would decline but thats just me. I am sure everything will be fine. I find it odd that they told you that, women are having babies older these days and I usually thought they were more concerned with 40 than 35. Especially since you will just be 35. So odd.

Last edited by navywifey2003; October 12th, 2012 at 09:25 AM.
October 12th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had the NT scan with both my prior babies. I was 28 and 29 yrs when I had them. I will have it again and will be 31 this time.

I personally LOVE this scan, its like having a detailed 20 wk scan early at 13 wks. I know they also did an all over check at that time. It's the first time you get to see so much detail and they are still small enough to fit on the u/s screen. I also found out the gender of my second during that scan. BUT if you don't want to do it, then don't. No one will force you.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
October 12th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
What is NT? Neural Tube? My paperwork says there's a neural tube defect test that also tests for Down's but it's called the AFP/Tetra screen and it's done at 16-18 weeks. The one I'm supposed to get is called the Ultra Screen and just does chromosomal abnormalities (not neural tube defects), and it's done earlier.

Oh wait. I just found it. NT=nuchal translucency. As long as insurance covers it, I suppose I'll get it done. Maybe since I'm "old", it'll be covered

October 12th, 2012, 09:26 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
The AFP one is a blood test which is also offered to younger moms.

October 12th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Lauren
Yeah, I'm in the same boat- I will barely have turned 35 when this baby is born. Last time around my midwife didn't even mention anything about the tests you ladies are talking about, I'm curious as to which tests she will recommend this time, if any.
Karen78 likes this.
October 12th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure of the difference. I had the NT scan which had blood work done at the same time. The results were based on the scan measurements and the blood work results together. I believe it had to be done between 11w1d and 13w3d.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
October 12th, 2012, 10:05 AM
lalap's Avatar Super Teacher
That's so crazy! 35 is not advanced age of any variety!
October 12th, 2012, 11:13 AM
amyhk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will also just have turned 35, in April. I'm sure I'll need all those tests. Crazy to think if I got pregnant just two months earlier I wouldn't but oh well!
Karen78 likes this.

October 12th, 2012, 11:25 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had the NT with my son and I was 28 at the time so I dont think its just offered to older moms. I had a few moms in my last board who were also taken back by the advanced maternal age thing. Drs You are as young as you feel so dont take their labels to heart.
Karen78 and Steph625 like this.
October 12th, 2012, 11:51 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I turned 35 before having my last baby and was all prepared for extra labs, tests etc. I think they asked me if I wanted them and I said "not really" so I never had them. Of course, I had an above average number of ultrasounds so they would have seen anything wrong anyway.
It will be interesting to see what they want to do this time.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
October 12th, 2012, 10:06 PM
softbreeze's Avatar Super Mommy
I will be turning 35 as well on this baby's due date and I just told my dr I didn't want any of the extra tests for downs done. I didn't do them with either of my dds and I worry and stress to much to possibly get a false positive.
October 13th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I will turn 35 at end of June so anxious if they mention anything about "advanced maternal age". Things sure have changed since the last time I had to go through pregnancy tests. I had one ultrasound and the diabetic test. That's it! It amazes me of all the tests they want to do!

Karen, you ARE 24 in my eyes!
Karen78 likes this.
October 13th, 2012, 07:39 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I'll be turning 36 soon, so I guess that applies to me, too. I haven't made my first appointment yet, so I don't know what the routine will be. We plan to decline any unnecessary testing.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

October 13th, 2012, 02:22 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to get all the testing done and I am young . I will be going ahead and doing all the tests, so if anything is found we have ample time to prepare. I have always had a lot of u/s's and stuff so it isn't really anything new for me, just what I expect when I get preggo Good luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search