Grandparent names

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2012, 04:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
If this is your parents first grandchild have you thought about what they will call them?

If they already have grandchildren what will they call them and who picked out the name?

My sister in law had kids first and she set the name for my in laws being Gigi and poppy. I was the first to have kids on my side but I wanted my kids to come up with a name but they ended up just calling my mom grandma and my dad is pawpaw. They did make a cute nickname for my sister. They couldn't say emily so they called her Mimi and it has still stuck.

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
October 22nd, 2012, 04:31 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My parents are Gammy and Pop Pop. DHs parents are Mae Mae and Pop. They all picked their names.

October 22nd, 2012, 05:59 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mother was married before she met my dad and had my older sister, so for my mom this will be her third. For my dad it'll be his first. My mom is basically gramma or grammy and my stepdad is papa Dave. I don't know what this baby will call my dad. This is the baby's dad's parents first grandchild (even though they don't seem to care), and the funny thing is that his dad and my dad have the same name. So we're going to have to figure something out there. I guess we'll see.

October 22nd, 2012, 06:09 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
My parents are Nana and Papa (they picked it out). Hubby's parents are Grandma and PaPa (but they pronouce it "pawpaw"). I'm not sure who came up with those. I kind of wish my FIL was Grandpa for confusion's sake. But at least there is a slight difference between Papa and PaPa. Blah.

October 22nd, 2012, 07:52 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My son calls my husband's parents Grandma and Pop Pop. He calls my mom the Chinese version of grandma which I cant spell
October 22nd, 2012, 07:54 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
My family is Ukrainian so DD calls my mom Baba, and my dad Dido. She calls DH's mom and step-dad Nannie and Pop, and calls his dad and step mom Grandpa and Grandma Heather

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
October 22nd, 2012, 08:09 AM
Super Mommy
The boys called my dad Papa before he died, and my step mom is Nana. They call DH's mom and step dad Grandma and Grandpa. We tell them my mom is Grandma Laura when we talk about her (she's deceased). And when we talk about DH's dad and step mom they're Grandpa Bill and Grandma Megan (we never see them).
October 22nd, 2012, 09:33 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Connor was the first for my parents, and my Mom did NOT want to be called "Grandma" so she picked what she wanted to be called and we have stuck with it.

She is Grammy, and my Dad is "Grandpa", however, Connor couldn't say it so he would call him "Papa" which my Dad ended up liking better, so it's sort of sticking.

DH's parents were already grandparents, they are Mimi & Grandaddy.

October 22nd, 2012, 09:39 AM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
Both sets of grandparents are just grandma and grandpa. I have tried, without success, to get my kids to call my mom granny

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

October 22nd, 2012, 10:34 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents are just Grandma and Grandpa, DH's parents are Oma and Opa.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

October 22nd, 2012, 10:35 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Grandma and papa

October 22nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
My parents and my MIL were grandparents before I had kids. My mom is Ya Ya, which my sister's oldest ended up calling her randomly. My dad is Dad Dad. He was going to be granddaddy, but neither Lily nor my niece (they're 9 months apart) could say it. Lily ended up calling him Dad Dad and that stuck. My MIL is Granny, which my SIL's girls called her first

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search