what to expect at first appointment??

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By phantomsgrl11

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2012, 05:24 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Receptionist said probably no ultrasound. What will happen?
October 22nd, 2012, 05:33 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Each office is different but what mine does for the first appointment is weight, blood pressure, urine check (pregnancy test, bacteria cultures), and depending on your last annual they might do a cervix check. They will congratulate you on being pregnant, perhaps give you the run down on what to avoid and what do make sure you do/take (vitamins etc). My office hands us a pregnancy packet with foods/medicines that we can have and all.

Good luck!
mommyandwife08 and lil_fishy like this.

October 22nd, 2012, 05:43 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

October 22nd, 2012, 05:44 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
That's how my 1st appointment was pretty much also. Urine, blood draw, pregnancy info packet, and they put all your health info into their computer. Weight and blood pressure too.

October 22nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
If you're not having an ultrasound and you aren't sure of your LMP you will probably have a cervical check. My first two were given initial due dates based on cervical exams rather than ultrasounds Good luck!

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

October 22nd, 2012, 06:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Ditto phantom girl. My Place does not do blood work unless there is a reason. It's generally a pretty boring appointment. The next time is exciting getting to hear the heartbeat.

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
October 22nd, 2012, 06:32 PM
Yeah, the first one is kinda of a bummer.. my OB office also goes over what my out-of-pocket costs will be, granted there are no unexpected complications. Even more of a downer... lol..

But, I did get a pregnancy book and cheapo diaper bag with samples, so for the first time, I really felt like I was actually pregnant-because it was recognized by someone other than myself lol

October 22nd, 2012, 06:50 PM
Super Mommy
MIne will do a pap and weight and blood pressure and go over dos and donts

October 22nd, 2012, 07:05 PM
lil_fishy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At my first appt they do a urine check, medical history, weight, blood pressure, and what I expected for my care with them. At my clinic, you have to have a medical reason to so a dating ultrasound. And like pp said, it is the most boring appt.

October 23rd, 2012, 06:28 AM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
At what week were you guys having these apts? I have a 9 week apt that's my first with my OB - I expected to get an ultrasound at 9 weeks, but now I'm wondering.

October 23rd, 2012, 06:36 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto what everyone else said. Mine goes over medical history, does a urine check, bloodwork (if I haven't done it already), and that's it. It's even more boring if it's not your first because they don't go over all the dos and donts. I am always tempted to just skip the boring first appt and skip to the one where you hear the heartbeat

October 23rd, 2012, 07:17 AM
laurenicole's Avatar Veteran
My office told me we will listen for the heartbeat when i go next week for my first.
October 23rd, 2012, 07:36 AM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
At my first appt. I do blood work, urine (although i already did this), get all the medical information about past pregnancies, blood pressure, height, weight. I actually won't see the doctor until my 2nd appt. at 8 weeks. I think at that one they said they will do an u/s because of my history. But yea the first appt. is normally pretty boring.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
October 23rd, 2012, 08:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was 7.5 weeks at my first appt. They do blood work, medical history, cervical check, pap smear, and internal ultrasound. No urine, blood pressure or weight the first visit. I would be so bummed to not get an u/s at the first visit. I love seeing that little heartbeat!
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
October 23rd, 2012, 11:09 AM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
Mine does urine, paperwork (boring), weight/height, blood pressure, and ultrasound.
October 23rd, 2012, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kit.kat.81 View Post
At what week were you guys having these apts? I have a 9 week apt that's my first with my OB - I expected to get an ultrasound at 9 weeks, but now I'm wondering.
It is kind of dependant on the doctor. Some prefer to do it.. others don't. Maybe you could call and see?

October 23rd, 2012, 12:55 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
Thanks Valerie - I did call, and I will be getting a vaginal ultrasound *shudder* to "confirm the pregnancy" LOL. I mean, I'm pretty sure I'm pregnant (I've peed on, like, 100 sticks and had betas done!) but I'm just happy to be able to get to see my bean, so I'm not complaining!

October 23rd, 2012, 01:03 PM
Yuck.. I hate vaginal u/s!! I have to get a ton of them.. but yay! So happy for you

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search