How big/small is your town??

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 23rd, 2012, 09:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am going to walk to pick my youngest up from preschool today and it got me thinking how big everyone's town is. I can walk to all the major things in my town, which isn't many. There are only 4 places to eat and a few schools and one gas station.

Are you able to walk to things where you live or do you need to drive??

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
October 23rd, 2012, 09:17 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I technically live in Pittsburgh, but I actually live a fair distance from downtown. Most people can walk to things here, but I just happen to live on a street that makes it difficult. I have to drive everywhere. Good thing is that if I go downtown or pretty much anywhere, I can park and walk around and find everything I need that way.

October 23rd, 2012, 09:17 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I live in Toronto and the population last year was 2 615 060. Thousands of stores/restaurants/schools etc. and over 2 million people. There are places in Toronto where you would be walking distance, my home doesn't happen to be walking distance to anything except DD's school and a couple of bakeries. Most people who live in the heart of Toronto downtown don't own vehicles because traffic is disgusting, and public transport is more cost effective and easier to get access to various parts of the city. I do drive, but we have one vehicle and since DH works in the suburbs I take the subway wherever I need to go

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
October 23rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We need to drive. You could walk but it would be pretty far. We live in a town about 100,000.

October 23rd, 2012, 09:55 AM
Silvinsky's Avatar Member
I live in a mini-town of about 700 people! But at 4 km, there's the city where I'm born, and it's about 33.000 people!

October 23rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nooo I can't walk everywhere. I'd be mighty tired! lol
The grocery store would take 45 min by foot one way, I've done it in the summer.
I'm in a 60k city.
October 23rd, 2012, 10:10 AM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
My town is a little over 100,000. I walk around the block, if that counts!

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

October 23rd, 2012, 10:14 AM
Super Mommy
My town is about 20,000, and most of the neighboring towns are about 20,000 too. We have quite a few parks we can walk to, and a few restaurants. I've also walked to DS's preschool before, but it's about a mile and a half. We have to drive to the grocery store, but it only takes 5 minutes, and every store we go to is on that one street that's only 5 minutes away.
October 23rd, 2012, 10:15 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Soo tiny!
October 23rd, 2012, 10:25 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I live on the outskirts of the capital city, Salt Lake City. The county has about a million people. I can walk to stuff for sure.. but I like to drive into downtown to go to my favorite shops and restaurants

October 23rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
I live in a suburb outside of Houston. I can walk to my kids school and the multiple playgrounds in the neighborhood. We have a greenbelt trail system through our neighborhood that we can walk around as well. But stores, restaraunts and movie theater is a short drive like maybe 5 to 10 minutes.

I would guess that there about 100,000+ in my community. Houston has millions I think.

~Kristin~
October 23rd, 2012, 10:52 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie.June2013 View Post
I live on the outskirts of the capital city, Salt Lake City. The county has about a million people. I can walk to stuff for sure.. but I like to drive into downtown to go to my favorite shops and restaurants
Ha I used to live in Pocatello. But last year moved to a suburb of the Twin Cities which is 60,000. But the entire metro area is close to 4 million or more. Quite a shock from where I used to live.
October 23rd, 2012, 10:58 AM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
I live in the second largest city in Russia, St. Petersburg. Has, according to the internet, 4.8 million people. I live in a suburb but all my favorite places, I need to drive.
October 23rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
CartersMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by eshute View Post
I technically live in Pittsburgh, but I actually live a fair distance from downtown. Most people can walk to things here, but I just happen to live on a street that makes it difficult. I have to drive everywhere. Good thing is that if I go downtown or pretty much anywhere, I can park and walk around and find everything I need that way.
Oh my word we live so close!! I live like 30 minutes North of Pittsburgh We are in downtown once a week at least

The town where we live is a small country farming town, we live in the country so we dont walk but our town is one road- a few small shops we live in a historic town so there is not really new business that comes in. I <3 where I live because it so cute and quaint with a population of 1500 but we are 30 minutes from downtown pittsburgh that has all the great shopping, restaurants etc.
October 23rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
Ha I used to live in Pocatello. But last year moved to a suburb of the Twin Cities which is 60,000. But the entire metro area is close to 4 million or more. Quite a shock from where I used to live.
Oh Pocatello... I used to date a guy that lived in Pocatello. I bet it is quite a change

October 23rd, 2012, 11:49 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I live in a suburb of Charlotte, NC. Our city has 80k people. Our house is in the historic downtown area, so we can walk to a lot of small shops and restaurants. The rest of our city is really spread out and doesn't have a lot of sidewalks. I drive most of the time. DH and I grew up in Charlotte, with over a million people. We never walked anywhere there. Too much traffic!
MrsLat likes this.
October 23rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
I live in a suburb of Charlotte, NC. Our city has 80k people. Our house is in the historic downtown area, so we can walk to a lot of small shops and restaurants. The rest of our city is really spread out and doesn't have a lot of sidewalks. I drive most of the time. DH and I grew up in Charlotte, with over a million people. We never walked anywhere there. Too much traffic!
My in laws are North Carolina! Well they live in Mill Spring, but the rest of the family lives in Charlotte Hubby is trying to convince me to move next summer but we haven't decided between Charlotte or possibly going into South Carolina. But he has found more job prospects in Charlotte
QueenCrafty likes this.

October 23rd, 2012, 12:19 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our town is very spread out. I could walk to a few places but mostly have to drive everywhere. We have about 250,000 people here.

October 23rd, 2012, 12:35 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I live in a smaller city, about 23,000, part of the Triad of NC. The neighboring, bigger, cities have about 200K - 250K people. I *could* walk to a few things, but there's too many people in this small town, I don't trust that I'd make it alive!!

October 23rd, 2012, 12:40 PM
sweety_pie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I live in Atlantic Canada, a SMALL town maybe 1000 people and we can walk to everything here, theres like 3 stores, no bank or anything lol

{Aug/07/201212 weeks} {Oct/29th/20127 weeks}
Forever missing my Mom...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search