Here We Go...

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 4 Post By wanttobeinvienna
  • 1 Post By Farmers-wife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2012, 12:31 PM
wanttobeinvienna's Avatar Veteran
Well, I decided to jump in because, well, it takes a village, right?

I thought I would share a little bit about my story and journey to finding myself 36 and pregnant. Fair warning though - there might be , so feel free to skip if you want. It's a little bit of my own therapy to write out what led me here, and to get feedback as well

I am a single, working mom of 2- a son, 11 and daughter, 9. Awesome, busy, crazy kids Their father and I separated when I was pregnant with my youngest, and I went on to be a single mom for 6 years, and through a lot of work and patience developed a working relationship with their dad. Not best friends, but a nice one. Then, I met my second husband, and my family felt almost complete- but we wanted another baby. We looked into in vitro, adoption, etc to make that dream a reality, when suddenly after 2 and a half years of marriage, he was arrested, I learned of multiple affairs, and he left us high and dry without a glance backwards (yes, I know this was a great thing that he left and I don't have to deal with that nonsense, but no, it doesn't make the pain any less). Needless to say, I feel cursed when it comes to men & marriage. Luckily, I have an incredibly supportive family and friends, and they have been my rock.

A year passed after he left and I entered the dating scene, although hesitantly, and not looking for anything serious! Around the same time frame, I decided to move the kids and I out of my house that was suited for a family of 7 (my ex has 2 daughters - who I miss tremendously and the house was not practical for a single mom of 2) and into my parents home, largely because my father, who I love dearly, was diagnosed with Stage 4 Lymphoma, and quickly deteriorating. Dating was meant to be an escape for me, not as a tool to find my next life partner... when, low and behold, I meet my now boyfriend, who is by far the kindest man I know, and makes my heart soar just thinking about him. Not too far out from the separation of his wife, he is still working through the logistics of being a single dad, and has a little ways to go with separation agreement before his divorce is finalized. Still both of us were in a good emotional place to enjoy dating.

One morning in September, my father had a medical emergency while I was with him, was taken by EMS (more than traumatizing for my kids), and spent a week in the hospital, before he passed away, Friday, September 21. It was heartbreaking, and telling my kids that their precious papa had passed away, after a year of so much trauma already was more than I could bear. That weekend, I felt "off", queasy when I ate, exhausted, etc, but I attributed it to my father's passing. I also had very light spotting, knew my period was supposed to start that week, but figured my body was just off. As the following week progressed, and we planned my father's memorial service, I still couldn't shake that fatigue. I was sitting with my boyfriend the day before my dad's funeral and it hit me. I just KNEW. He went to pick up his son, and I went to a Target, got the test, sat in their bathroom and saw that positive sign. My feelings were more than mixed. The timing was all wrong. My boyfriend isn't divorced, I just lost my dad, there are 3 other children to think about, I don't want to uproot my 2 again, etc etc. I am sure you can imagine the race going on in my head. But still, a baby, a gift in this time of grief, joy was certainly in there somewhere.

I also knew, in that moment, that this precious developing relationship would change. One way or another change was coming. I just KNEW. So, I went to my boyfriend, and I told him. And he wanted to terminate. Now, this is where as women we get mad and say what kind of a guy would do that, if he loves you he will love this baby, etc, etc, etc. And I agree. But I would also argue that people have the right to openly express fear, and sometimes we all say really stupid things. But there it was, regardless. He wants to terminate. I don't. Where do you go from there? Well, no where for a little while, because I have my father's funeral, a ton of guests, and grieving children to attend to, the logistics of bank accounts, insurance, etc to help my mother with and somewhere in the midst of all of that, my own grief and loss to pay attention to. So we took a few days off from discussing it.

And that didn't help. Because each day, I became more pregnant, and he became more certain that termination was the right option. He felt that should we terminate now, later in our relationship, after marriage, we could have a baby (um- I'm 36, I am NOT going to have a baby any later than this!!) He felt that with support and therapy we could work through a termination, and be just as strong. I told him that it just wasn't happening. That though I am passionate for women to have the right to choose that option based on their circumstances, I was not going to choose that. So about a week and a half go by and suddenly I become terrified, I realize that I might very well be having this baby on my own, completely on my own, and our fighting escalated, to the point of ugliness. I told him if I terminated, I would never want to see his face again, and went as far as scheduled the appointment at Planned Parenthood. And the whole time my heart was breaking. I couldn't believe this was how the story was going to end. I scheduled it on a Monday for that Thursday. On Tuesday, my boyfriend said call and cancel it. Let's not do this. Let's go to therapy, let's work through this together, one step at a time. (Now, confession time- I had already decided the night before I was going to cancel it - but I didn't tell him that!)

So, that's where we are. We have been to 2 therapy sessions, and will continue to go every other week. I, also, will be seeing him on my own once a month, as will my boyfriend. The thing is, and as our therapist points out, together we make a great team. He brings joy and peace to my life, and I feel confident I do to his as well. We just were presented with a situation, a precious situation, that rocked our worlds. I am hopeful, so very hopeful, that therapy will get us past this bad place. I told him I would settle for nothing less than joy, pure joy.

We had our first doctors appointment on Tuesday, and everything went really well. Heartbeat looks great, baby looks strong. There was a small pool of blood beside the babe that we will get looked at in 2 weeks just to make sure it's resolving itself, but the doctor urged me not to be too concerned.

And that leaves me with a due date of 5/29/13, a host of concerns- how I am going to support this baby, when am I going to tell people, how mad/judgmental/etc is the world going to be, how are my kids going to react, the list is absolutely endless. But still, in all of this- there is joy. Well, after the nausea, fatigue, etc, There is joy. And I am grateful for a forum where I can express that joy! Because right now, there isn't anywhere else!

Long story- but there it is
October 26th, 2012, 12:41 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Welcome and congrats on your pregnancy. I am so sorry about the loss of your father. I hope this baby brings much joy into all your lives!

October 26th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Super Mommy
What a story. I am so sorry you are going through all of this. I hope things go great for you two!

October 26th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So sorry for your dads passing. Congrats on the baby, though, and I agree completely there is joy. Your bf just needs time. I think you are doing all the right things and will look back in 17 years and be so thankful for this early hard road. We are celebrating our 17th anniversary next week. We started with the same fear and thoughts of terminating. Thankfully it only got as far as the phone call. And now she is 16 1/2!
Karenna likes this.
October 26th, 2012, 04:47 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Thank you for telling your story! I hope you guys continue to make progress with your relationship
October 26th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Welcome and congrats! I hope you and your boyfriend can work things out!

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
October 26th, 2012, 05:23 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome and congrats. I loved your story so thank you for sharing, its real and its not always pretty but its life to. I'm sorry for the loss of your father, I lost mine on September 25 on my 31st birthday. It was sudden and unexpected and I'm not sure if I'm in denial right now. I'm glad you and your bf are working things out in therapy and I can't wait to get to know you more
October 26th, 2012, 05:26 PM
safarilime's Avatar Super Mommy
Welcome and congrats! I am sure your children will be excited! As for everyone else... Forget them if they can't be happy for you then they are just wasting your time. Be happy and enjoy your pregnancy and growing family.

You can do it! It's going to be hard. Every new baby is hard.

October 26th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I sorry about the loss of your father & everything you have had to go through. Having a child planned or unplanned can be very scary & you and your boyfriend are probably well aware of the sacrifices involved. I hope you continue to grow & build a string relationship together.

October 27th, 2012, 05:54 AM
Welcome! Congrats!

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your father.
October 27th, 2012, 06:31 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words- it's been a journey to say the least... Have enjoyed reading through the boards and seeing what an awesome community this is!

VeganJessica- I was vegan too, and then I got pregnant, and all of my awesome stand by foods like quinoa, veggies, etc tasted HORRIBLE!!!!!!!! Has it changed for you?
October 27th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Super Mommy
Welcome! Thank you for your story. I also lost my daddy, on Sept. 4th to prostate cancer. A couple days later I find out I'm pregnant, then a day after his memorial I lost the baby. I'm so sorry for your loss, I know how much it hurts. He was my best friend and my only parent for many many years. I'm glad you're here, it's nice for us all to share our life experiences.
October 27th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Oh Kyla0709, many hugs to you, I am so very sorry. That is two devestating losses, and I can't imagine.

I hope you have a strong support system to cry on the hard days and celebrate the memories of your father, and mourne the loss of your baby.
October 27th, 2012, 11:47 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome! You sound like one strong mama. I'm glad you and your BF are working things out and you're here for support!

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search