Dopplers and Ultrasounds

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Lindz253
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 2 Post By softbreeze
  • 1 Post By 8miraclez

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2012, 01:16 PM
laurenicole's Avatar Veteran
So after seeing the doppler discussion yesterday i decided to order one. Then somehow afterward ended up reading about the safety of them. I then found all kinds of articles about how dopplers and ultrasounds may not be safe because of the high frequency of sound that it sends to the baby, and how it can affect brain development, etc. now i am a little scared to use the doppler i ordered, and a little worried about having too many ultrasounds. Have any of you heard anything about this and maybe talked to your Dr about it already?
October 31st, 2012, 01:22 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have heard about it but havn't read any concrete absolute proof. The length of time doing an US isn't very long. I think everything in moderation but that is just a choice you have to make if you want to take the risk. I personally wouldn't want to sit there for long periods of time every single day listening for a heartbeat, but maybe once a week or every other week would calm your fears.
bribugg13 likes this.

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
October 31st, 2012, 02:08 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I agree with Lindsey, I think everything in moderation. I've never actually done the research on it, but I'd be interested to see how concrete the evidence is, and the ratio of babies actually affected.

October 31st, 2012, 02:13 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think the research is concrete either, but it is a risk. I personally don't see the need for early ultrasounds unless there's something wrong so we opt out of all but the 20 weeks anatomy scan. I also think if I had my own Doppler I'd use it obsessively and create unnecessary stress, so I wouldn't want one. I prefer to trust that my body knows what it's doing. To each their own, though, I doubt any real harm will come to your baby from a couple extra uses of the Doppler.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

October 31st, 2012, 02:40 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, I thought I would just put my two cents in

With my first pregnancy, I was in the hospital on bedrest for 6 weeks... during which they came in and used the doppler to find the twins heartbeat 2x a day. And there wasn't any worry.... sooo.. unless you plan on using that doppler obsessively in your pregnancy, I wouldnt worry so much.

The ultrasound is a little different... I did not get an ultrasound everyday. And they absolutely would not have done that everyday because there is no point to risking the baby.. they did however do it every couple of days. And with my DS they had to check things once a week. But again, they only do this if there is a NEED.. they wont risk the baby if there isnt any benefit by doing so.

I guess what I am trying to get at is I wouldn't worry about the doppler at all, honestly. If you have questions or concerns just ask your doctor! And as far as ultrasounds go, I will let my doctor do them when they feel necessary because I trust that they believe there is a benefit to checking
Fannich likes this.

October 31st, 2012, 03:15 PM
laurenicole's Avatar Veteran
You're right. I think i will just try not to go crazy with the doppler. I will probably stop using it once I can feel movement anyway.
October 31st, 2012, 09:00 PM
softbreeze's Avatar Super Mommy
I used my Doppler everyday with my first dd pretty much my whole pregnancy. I was obsessed with the sound of her heart. With my second dd we had ultrasounds every two weeks for the least four months because she had a two vessel umbilical cord and they were monitoring her very close and there were no problems that resulted from either situations. I think as long as you don't use it excessively your just fine.
laurenicole and Fannich like this.
November 1st, 2012, 09:04 AM
BeccaMenk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont really worry to much. I know ds hated the doppler though. When i used it he would kick and move lol. I figure if my doctor doesnt have an issue with ultrasounds im not going to worry.
November 1st, 2012, 09:16 AM
elizabethchallis's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh yea ds always kicked the doppler too I felt him moving right away at 12 weeks. I liked having the doppler towards the end too during his sleepy days. I was a very nervous mommy to be and did my research before buying a doppler

6 weeks 10 weeks 4 weeks

November 1st, 2012, 01:02 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I'll be getting an u/s every 3 weeks to check growth, then will be getting them bi weekly for biophysical profiles and NST's. With my last baby, I had a doppler too that I used almost every day until I could feel her move. My dd is extremely bright. My dh says she is going to be the smartest of all our kids, lol. I'm not worried and will probably be getting a doppler again in a few weeks.
Fannich likes this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search