Binkie, passifier, nook...

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2012, 04:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
What do you call them?

Will you give one to your baby?

If you will give one will you take it away at a certain age?

16 weeks
4 weeks
8 weeks
November 1st, 2012, 05:02 AM
wanttobeinvienna's Avatar Veteran
My kids NEVER took one!! Even when I begged!! It will be interesting to see if this one does or not!!!
November 1st, 2012, 05:43 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
We call it a pacifier, but Connor also refused to take one. We didn't offer one right away, I'm kind of glad we didn't. I see pictures of friends' toddlers and kids and they ALWAYS have it in, it seems to ruin the picture. I don't think we'll offer the new baby one either. If, by chance, new baby ended up having one, I would definitely take it away after a certain age...or do something like nap time/sleep only.

November 1st, 2012, 06:07 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
We call it a pacifer. I was nervous to give Calvin one in the beginning because of it possibly interfering with BF. But I gave him one at about 3 or 4 days old and it didn't affect the BF at all. He stopped taking it around 7 months old. He just wasn't interested in it anymore. I'm so glad! I really didn't want to fight with a toddler over that. We'll do the same with this baby.

November 1st, 2012, 08:39 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
DD was attached to the boob constantly as an infant (only thing that would calm her). I'm pretty sure I spent over 100 dollars on every single brand of pacifier ever made. She refused every single one. I'm desperately hoping that this one has an affinity for it though.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
November 1st, 2012, 08:42 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
I call it a binkie and my 1 year old uses one and so did my oldest daughter. I plan to take it away other than naps and bedtime around 18 months just like with ODD. I nurse so we don't give one until after about 2 weeks.

November 1st, 2012, 09:09 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We tried with Eliza but she just wasn't into it. I don't know if we'll even bother with this baby; I guess we'll see how desperate I am for some peace and quiet!

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

November 1st, 2012, 09:47 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lillie, my DD, took one for quite awhile. At a year, I started only giving it at naps/bedtime then at 2, took it away completely and we've never looked back (even with her baby brother on her dad's side taking one).

#1, 4, 5, 7
November 1st, 2012, 10:14 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We call it a paci and both my kids took one. Since I breastfed, I didn't offer it until a week or two old. At a year old, both of them dropped back to naps and bedtime only. My daughter lost interest and weaned herself around 18 months. My son will be 2 in a few weeks and still uses his at bedtime only, no naps. I really hate the paci and he is fighting me tooth and nail to wean him from it.

I will only offer to this baby after a week or two but if he/she isn't interested I'm fine with that. The way I see it, I would rather have a paci baby than a thumb sucker.

November 1st, 2012, 10:27 AM
Nattie84
I call it a paci, since I will breast feeding this time around I wont be offering most likely untill way down the line. I have been doing a lot of reading up on breastfeeding and it causes nipple confusion (per my reading) and using the breast as the "paci" helps with milk production. We will see how it goes cause I used a paci with both of my other kids, my oldest loved hers.
November 1st, 2012, 10:43 AM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
I call it a Binkie and my oldest daughter never took one but my youngest loved hers. I used to joke she was like Maggie Simpson on The Simpsons as much as it was in her mouth. It was either a bottle or binkie but I did take it away before 2 years old and she did wonderful with it. She was a preemie and the one the hospital gave us that has the hold in the middle that you can stick your finger in was her fave!

~Kristin~
November 1st, 2012, 01:50 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We call it a binky. Both of my kids had one. Jocelyn weaned off of it within a couple of days at about 18 months. We have pretty much weaned Gabe off his, but he has a hidden stash somewhere that I have NO idea about... I will take it away and then an hour later he has another lol. He calls it "Jocelyn" Hahaha...

I am not to worried about it though. I tried to take it away at a year with him and he started sucking his thumb, ugh... so I will let him come off it in his own time

November 1st, 2012, 01:54 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
We call it a binky or pacifier. I have tried with all my kids since my boobs need a break. Some took it, some didn't. My last baby took it great until she discovered she has a thumb. Now she sucks her thumb and there is no taking it away. I HATE it. I have an 8yr old that wouldn't take a binky then for some reason, at 2 she started sucking her thumb. She still does at night. The others all just weaned off it on their own.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
November 1st, 2012, 01:59 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalynas_Mom View Post
DD was attached to the boob constantly as an infant (only thing that would calm her). I'm pretty sure I spent over 100 dollars on every single brand of pacifier ever made. She refused every single one. I'm desperately hoping that this one has an affinity for it though.
BTDT. We finally were able to get Abri to take a paci after she was 6 months old, but now she's terribly attached to it.

We call it pacifier/paci. I won't offer one until after the 4 week mark at least. After one year, we limit the paci to just naps and bedtime. If we still can't give it up, the Paci Fairy comes on their 3rd birthday and just takes them away to give to other babies who need one.
November 1st, 2012, 01:59 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My 2 1/2 year old still uses his. ARGH. It's the biggest battle ever. We have gotten to the point that he knows its not allowed out of the house aside from car rides. But he freaks out anytime it's missing. Our dentist said he has until age 3 and then we just gotta throw them out. I'm hoping to convince him to give the pacifiers to the babies that need them at christmas time and he'll get some extra presents from santa. LOL

I'm not sure if he is old enough to understand that yet. I know he grasps santa and presents really well though so fingers crossed. I do not have the backbone to just take things away. I hate seeing him upset. I am such a softie. DH is ready to step in and take the hard line with him on it. Good cop/bad cop? LOL It won't work unless we are both on the same page. I'm getting there. I've slowly taught him rules for using it so far...so I feel we are on the right track to weaning. hahah

November 1st, 2012, 03:15 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We call it a Nuk. DD used one only when she was little. She wouldnt latch on even with a LC so i just let her use them. And she lost her Nuks at 6 months as it bugs me to see toddlers with them.
November 1st, 2012, 03:42 PM
Veteran
Binkie and DS took it and it was a life saver. He had acid reflux as a newborn and it helped comfort him. He would cry from 4pm to midnight straight the first 3 months, without the binkie it would've been worse! Poor kid, very hard as a new mom and didn't really have a clue what was going on. Anyway, at 13 months I threw them out and he went cold turkey. He got over it after 2 weeks of hardship but honestly i needed breaking as much as him. It was so easy to just let him have it and I knew weaning would only result in me eventually giving in. He would only take Advent ones. I also took away bottles then and allowed only sippy's.

November 1st, 2012, 04:02 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have other kids, but I've always called them nooks or binkies (I have 3 much younger siblings and a young niece and nephew), I'd prefer to not give one to the baby, but I guess it's a trade off between peace and quiet and the nook. Haha. I guess we'll see. I'm not super for or super against them.

November 1st, 2012, 04:59 PM
CartersMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We call them Sassys or Sass... my oldest started that one. I give them from day one if they want it....neither of my kids had a problem with nipple confusion and they enjoyed their Sassies! Oldest DS took one until he was done nursing now sucks his thumb... and still does at 4.5.... youngest DS has a sass still and is addicted. I am super lack about stuff like that. He won't start preschool with it in but how and when we get rid of it is up to him. I won't push.
November 1st, 2012, 05:11 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I never gave one to my daughter, I think I tried once and she didn't like it. I just would rather her not get addicted to having something like that so I don't think I will offer it to the next baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search