Let's talk baby carriers

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Ergo 12 52.17%
Beco 4 17.39%
Boba 0 0%
Other 7 30.43%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2012, 01:08 AM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
So with DS I didn't really use a carrier. We did a couple times, but any carrier we used was either uncomfortable for him or for me.

I've heard a lot of great things about Ergo carriers. And I've noticed some other Ergo-like carriers on the market, too. I would like to find one that works for little babies up through toddlers, offers good spine support for the baby, doesn't put too much pressure on the crotch, is secure, and comfortable.

So what have any of you used before? What were the pros and cons? If you had any of the carriers in the poll, what did you like or not like about them?
November 3rd, 2012, 01:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I also didn't use one with my first, but once the second came along it was a necessity!

I have tried many carriers and have a rheumatoid arthritis affecting my lower back. The only one that I have liked is the Ergo (I have the organic). I can wear it for long periods of time even with a bigger baby. They do make an infant insert so you can use it from the beginning. Lots of people say you can just roll up a blanket to use instead of the infant insert. I tried that but it didn't work very well for me (maybe I was doing it wrong) so I will get the insert this time. I just purchased the Ergo Performance on baby steals to see if I like that one.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
November 3rd, 2012, 01:57 AM
MummyTo2Plus5's Avatar Loving my baby boy
We won't be using one I find them uncomfortable

Very proud mummy to 2 earthly and 5 heavenly babies

November 3rd, 2012, 04:14 AM
Which ones did you try?
November 3rd, 2012, 04:39 AM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I voted for the Becco just because that is what I have. I have never had an Ergo. I have a Becco Butterfly. I got it when my daughter was a little older so I am excited to try it from the beginning.

November 3rd, 2012, 04:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I had one with my first ds that I never used. I didn't even pull it out for ds2. I tried it again for ds3 & it was ok, but I'd really like to find a good one for #4. I'm not sure what the brand name is for the one I currently have.

November 3rd, 2012, 05:02 AM
Regular
When #3 was born and I had a needy two year old, I needed something for my sanity. I tried the Moby wrap and absolutely loved it. When he was a newborn, he was very secure in and I wore until about fifteen months old. I would like to try the Ergo when he is a bit older (six months and beyond)

Sherry & Dan
Bryson (8)
Cason (3)
Hudson (21m)
Sweet angel baby 11-28-12 @ 10w
November 3rd, 2012, 05:52 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I said Beco also because that is what I had though I never took to it much nor did my son. I only used it when he was very small too and he was in the front. I might try it again but I admit I might not be a baby wearing person
November 3rd, 2012, 06:31 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I've only used a few, a moby, a mei tei, and my ergo sport. I sold the moby early on because it was the dead heat of the summer and Connor would get so hot and sweaty in it, I was not impressed! I ended up eventually selling the mei tei because it was a pain to tie it and Connor wasn't comfortable in it.

So far, we've really liked the ergo sport, Connor would fall asleep in it a lot and I finally mastered the back carry. However, I've see friends using the boba and, it is very similar in style to the ergo, but taller. Connor is a tall baby/toddler, and I think at times he would have been more comfortable in a taller carrier like the boba. The ergo is a short carrier and even I felt like he could have fallen backwards out of it (probably not in reality, but it felt like it!!).

I really want to try a ring sling for the newborn this time around, I wish I had the patience to learn wraps with a woven though!!

November 3rd, 2012, 07:15 AM
CartersMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have to say I am not sure how to survive minus my baby wearing gear. Currently I have a warp (Lovey Duds) but much like a moby and LOVE for newborn until like six months. I have a met tai which I love for 6 months to a year I also have a beco that I still use with my 22 month old. I also own 2 slings which I like but do not use often. With this baby I am considering a ring sling!!
November 3rd, 2012, 07:19 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I can't say enough bad things about the bjorn and infantino carriers haha I think I said this in another thread but we loved the Moby and Ergo. Moby was great when DD was first born becasue she was a december baby and it kept us both pretty warm. The Ergo was great a little later on. Neither hurt my back and were always really comfortable. DD didn't even go into a stroller until she was over a year old (it's really hard to get on and off the subway with a stroller especially since many stops have no elevators so a carrier was an absolute necessity)
bribugg13 and Mrs. D like this.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
November 3rd, 2012, 07:48 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We use public transportation a lot too, so wearing baby is a must. I voted ergo because we got the most mileage out of it, but I prefer different carriers for different stages. I also love the Moby for the squishy baby stage, and if you have a sensitive c-section incision you can just tie it higher which is great. The ergo sat right on my incision so I couldn't use it for months, but DH wore her in it all the time. The infant insert works great. Around 11 months, though, DD was starting to learn to walk and she got really frustrated in a carrier for more than a few minutes. She still needed to be carried if we actually wanted to go somewhere but we took breaks so she could get down and explore. I got a pocket sling, just one piece of material with no adjustment needed, for that age. I could pop her in and out of it in seconds and it folded down to nothing so I could put it in my backpack and forget about it. Thumbs up.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

November 3rd, 2012, 09:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I use woven wraps from the infant stage until they start walking a lot. Then I switch to a soft structured carrier. I actually make my own and I have them in a few sizes, some with larger bodies and padded edges for the toddlers (I'm still wearing my 2 year old sometimes!). I know quite a few people who use Ergos, but because the body is so small, you can't use them when your baby gets too big...and I don't think they're all that pretty. LOL! One of my friends has a Boba and loves it. In our babywearing group, the big thing right now seems to be the Tula carriers...like a dozen people have them, love them, and get multiples! We have a lending library, so people come and try on the different carriers and see what fits them and their baby best before buying one of their own. There's even a weighted doll you can use if you don't have a baby yet.
Mrs. D likes this.
November 3rd, 2012, 09:39 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I have an ergo and a boba. The boba would be more for toddlers than infants. The ergo fits me oddly but the boba works great. I'm dying for a gira this time.

November 3rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I liked the Moby style wrap (I made my own with several yards of cotton interlock fabric) for the newborn stage. It's secure and easy to do. I loved my Ergo once Abri was about 4 months old (she was a big baby). She was such a high maintenance baby that needed to be carried all the time, so it seemed like I always had my Ergo. One of the best purchases I made! I had a ring sling that I made myself. I didn't like it that much, but maybe I just didn't like the fabric I used. It wasn't as comfortable as the Moby style wrap or the Ergo.
November 3rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I voted for other...for the Maya ring sling. Love it.
November 3rd, 2012, 12:29 PM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Ergo, bali breeze wrap or a kinder pack. Kindercarry Home Welcome Handcrafted Custom Baby Carriers Kinderpack soft structured carrier and Kindercarry mei tai,

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

November 3rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaS View Post
I use woven wraps from the infant stage until they start walking a lot. Then I switch to a soft structured carrier. I actually make my own and I have them in a few sizes, some with larger bodies and padded edges for the toddlers (I'm still wearing my 2 year old sometimes!). I know quite a few people who use Ergos, but because the body is so small, you can't use them when your baby gets too big...and I don't think they're all that pretty. LOL! One of my friends has a Boba and loves it. In our babywearing group, the big thing right now seems to be the Tula carriers...like a dozen people have them, love them, and get multiples! We have a lending library, so people come and try on the different carriers and see what fits them and their baby best before buying one of their own. There's even a weighted doll you can use if you don't have a baby yet.
I never heard of the Tula before. It looks really neat and has some nice reviews!
November 4th, 2012, 04:46 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like the moby for the squishy, infant stage. We had a Lascal which was great until about 18 lbs and a borrowed Bjorne, which sucked over about 12 pounds. We bought an Ergo off Babysteals about a year ago and have really liked it for the toddler stage - even though he doesn't let us wear him much now. I think if I mastered the back carry, he would but haven't figured it out yet.
November 4th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Veteran
my son lived in a maya mama baby ring sling until it wore out. then we bought a beco butterfly and a dr sears knit sling. I love both. I was able to wear son during a 4 hour layover at heathrow airport in the beco without any discomfort. he was 11 months and about 17 lbs. I am excited to try the beco with a smaller baby this time. But I'll probably get a new knit ring sling since it will be too hot here for the Dr. Sears knit sling.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search