Has anyone used a midwife after having an OB?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JadeS
  • 1 Post By JadeS

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2012, 06:30 PM
JadeS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JadeS Send a message via Yahoo to JadeS
I had an OB with my DD and I want a midwife this time.. Can they do ultra sounds? And how are they different then an OB ? And which did you like better?
November 3rd, 2012, 08:05 PM
MiniMom's Avatar Head Lady Bird
I had an ob with my daughter for the first 28 weeks of pregnacy, but then switched over to a cnm (certified nurse midwife) practice after that. I never regretted my decision to switch. an ob only comes when the baby is being born...a midwife is there the whole time with you. I also had alot more freedom with the midwife, whereas the ob said that I couldn't eat or not have an iv. ( i had my daughter in the same hospital that the ob would have delivered me in, so it was just the ob's rules, not the hospital's.) The midwife also did ultrasounds. i think you run into problems with a midwife not liking ultrasounds when you use a cpm (certified practicing midwife). Both types are very good though.

November 3rd, 2012, 08:10 PM
~*Nicole*~'s Avatar Nicole
I had an OB for my first 3 and a midwife for the last and I would never, ever go back.

siggy made by Meredithh90!!!

November 3rd, 2012, 08:23 PM
MiniMom's Avatar Head Lady Bird
oh, and most midwives will only see you if your low risk. but again, that depends on their practice. my midwife was connected to an ob, so if i went high risk, id have to be delivered by the ob. hope that helps.

November 3rd, 2012, 09:35 PM
Here midwives have to be CNM.. I am glad to be going with a midwife. I think I will have a much better out come with this baby and birth.. Thanks for filling me in
MiniMom likes this.
November 4th, 2012, 03:56 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I have had 1 ob baby and 2 midwife babies.. My last midwife was amazing!!

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

November 4th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first was a home-birth with a midwife, and I can't imagine doing it any other way. We're using a midwife for baby #2 as well, but it'll have to be at the hospital...(living with my parents and they're weirded out by the idea of a home-birth!)
November 5th, 2012, 03:31 AM
I would love a home birth if I knew everything would go well.. DD ended in a c-section but this time I am having a doula and midwife and doing a lot different this time.. So I am VBAC hopeful
~*Nicole*~ likes this.
November 5th, 2012, 12:26 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I had an OB with my first. I liked a few OBs in the practice, but most of them left except for the crappy mean one. In North Carolina, we can only have CNMs. A CNM can do anything an OB can do except perform surgery (they can request epidurals). I go to a large OB practice that also has several midwives. I loved the difference with my second pregnancy. They were willing to spend more than 2 minutes in the appointment, they were always on time, answered my questions about NCB and gave me suggestions on reading or yoga. Unfortunately my labor was super fast and I didn't make it to the hospital where my midwives delivered. She called DH's cell phone an hour after he called her to say we couldn't make it to check on me even though I was at a totally different hospital. I'm so excited to go through another pregnancy with them.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search