No ultrasound yet

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By edgeofelise

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first pregnancy, I was having an ultrasound for an unrelated issue and the technician said, "You know you're 5 weeks pregnant, right?" So that's how I found out and it was a pretty big shock to me, let me tell you! Since my insurance at the time would only cover a certain number of ultrasounds, that was considered my first, and I didn't get another until 20 weeks.

Things are a little different this time around. I'm living in a different country, for one thing - we moved from Arizona to Ontario earlier this year. Ultrasounds are covered under our universal healthcare, so I can have as many as I need. Yay for that. But I guess maybe they do things a little differently up here?

The thing is, I'm 10 weeks now, and I still haven't even had my first prenatal appointment, let alone my first ultrasound. I called to set up an appointment with a midwife (we went the midwife route with baby #1 too) as soon as I found out I was pregnant, at 5 weeks. But they told me they don't typically see patients until they're 10-11 weeks along. My first appointment is in about a week and a half.

I keep seeing all these people posting about their first ultrasounds and their appointments and stuff, and I'm wondering if I'm missing something?
November 4th, 2012, 01:18 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No, with a healthy pregnancy an early ultrasound is absolutely not necessary unless there's something wrong, like you're showing signs of an ectopic, you're bleeding, or other issues. A lot of women get them for dating an for peace of mind, but there's nothing wrong with not getting one. I won't have one done until 20 weeks for the anatomy scan, and hopefully that will be the only one we need. I actually called to push my first appointment back two weeks because I want to be far along enough to hear the heartbeat on Doppler.
CartersMommy and MamaSkunk like this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

November 4th, 2012, 02:10 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
In my previous pregnancies I didn't have an ultrasound until 19-20 weeks, and I think that's pretty typical for around here. I've had 2 so far this time around because I'm considered high(er) risk because I had 2 miscarriages in a row this summer. That's also why I had my first appointment at 6 weeks instead of 8-10.
November 4th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Super Mommy
I'm only having one tomorrow because I had a MC on 9-16 and they want to make sure for dating purposes. I'll have another at 11 weeks for the nuchal scan (optional) and then another at 20 weeks for an anatomy scan. I only had one early on with DS1 because I didn't know my LMP, but with DS2 I did know my LMP and they didn't give me one early on.
November 4th, 2012, 07:25 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won't be having one until over 10 weeks. I am not seeing the doctor until then either... I think you are just supposed to see a doc before the end of the first tri, exactly when depends on the preference of the practitioner.

November 5th, 2012, 05:39 AM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
My doctor says she likes to do an ultrasound the first appointment to do measurements and dating. I can request an ultrasound at anytime, since everything is in-house, but typically she'd do the next one at 19 or 20 weeks.
November 5th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm also in Ontario. You only get as many as deemed medically necessary. My OB only did an u/s last pregnancy because my periods were off and it was just a dating ultrasound. This time around I only had one because of severe pain and I technically don't have my first OB appt until 10 weeks. Unless you have a history of miscarriage or any problems (severe cramping/bleeding) they see no reason to have their patients come in any earlier

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
November 5th, 2012, 09:30 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I had an early u/s this time because I had spotting and a history of previous losses, one recently. With my other pregnancies I didn't get an ultrasound until 20-25 weeks, and with a few I never got one at all.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

November 5th, 2012, 10:08 AM
CartersMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know tons of Women who only have one ultrasound around 20 weeks. I am high risk..so you will see me getting one nearly every week. I say as long as you are comfortable don't worry or talk to your dr if you would like one earlier
November 5th, 2012, 12:08 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Sounds about right. My first appointment at 7w3d was really just a confirmation of my pregnancy. The first real appointment will be right around 12 weeks, where I'll have a pap and attempt to hear a heartbeat with a doppler. My midwife's office doesn't do a dating u/s. They will do the NT scan if your insurance covers it and you elect to do it (we won't), or if there is a medical reason to have an u/s. Otherwise you just get the anatomy scan at 20 weeks.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search