Winter Wardrobe advice

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By edgeofelise
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 5th, 2012, 05:25 AM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
So, last winter I was over 100 lbs heavier than I am now. I need all new cold weather clothes. Which is great! But I'm not really sure what to get...
When I was pregnant with dd, I was obese. I didn't really start showing until almost 7 months and my wardrobe consisted of a few plus size long sleeve stretchy shirts and stretchy pants. So... I have a feeling this whole regular size pregnancy experience is going to be odd feeling, but nice.
I have to go shopping this week. It doesn't really get very cold here in Charleston, but we're going to the mountains on thursday for our honeymoon... I'm so cold already because I'm missing all my warm blubber, I NEED WARMER CLOTHES OR ILL TURN INTO A ICEPOP.

Anyways, maternity clothes is like a new world for me. I need things that I could possibly wear throughout the cold season. or at least for a while. I hate shopping so much. What would you get?
November 5th, 2012, 06:00 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First CONGRATULATIONS! 100 lb weight loss is amazing.

2nd, I am in N. TX and we have similiar winters. I would advise layers because you are probably going to have times when you are burning up and don't want a big bulky sweater and other times super cold. Layers will let you adjust accordingly to the random pregnancy hot flashes.

As far as Maternity sizing - typically you buy the same size you wear in non-maternity. So if you are a Medium in tops, Medium maternity should fit you. It is not always the case so make sure that you buy from somewhere with a good return policy if you buy online. You might also want to check out consignment stores. I am going to look for a maternity coat that way. I know I will probably only wear it a handful of times but will still need one in Jan. and Feb.
zombiemommy likes this.
November 5th, 2012, 07:31 AM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
100 lbs! Amazing!

With DD, I quickly figured out that I absolutely hate maternity clothes, and you don't have to wear them! We're pretty lucky to be pregnant at a time when all those tunics and larger, flowier tops are in style. I got a few of those in a couple sizes larger and belted them over the bump to make them look cute. Anything with an empire waist works (as long as the boobs fit in the top, lol) I'd layer those with leggings and sweaters and actually felt cute sometimes.

Target is a great place for basic layers. It is good to get maternity tees and tanks to wear under things. I just never really felt like the rest of most maternity clothes are my style. And if you're buying maternity jeans now, make sure they're a little loose. I got jeans really early on that only fit until my second trimester because my hips spread. Ouch.
zombiemommy likes this.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

November 5th, 2012, 09:18 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
I remember when we lived in that area... We did fine just occasionally throwing on a sweater or light jacket. We lived in Hanahan, it was such a pretty place to live, I loved the history of that area. Congrats on your weight loss, that is incredible. I think you've been given good suggestions so far.
zombiemommy likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

November 5th, 2012, 12:32 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Awesome job on the weight loss!! I dislike maternity sweaters. I feel like they just look huge and shapeless even on a super skinny person. I like the open flowy cardigan sweaters that are popular now. They don't even have to be maternity.
November 5th, 2012, 02:37 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree, I like the sweaters that are open and flowey too.. because I don't have to get maternity Honestly I have just purchased some maternity pants because a lot of flowy shirts and stuff are in fashion already! I also got shirts and stuff that I could belt right above my bump because it was a cute way to accent it without having to buy ucky maternity clothes

November 5th, 2012, 04:27 PM
zombiemommy's Avatar Veteran
I shop at Kohls almost exclusively... I might pick up a pair or jeans or two... and lots of layers. I'm hoping I can find some regular longish stretchy sweaters/ long sleeve shirts

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search