Cerclage?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zkat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2012, 05:14 AM
Hi Ladies,
I am new here and thrilled to be here (although totally surprised!)
My due date is June 17. I am scheduled for a section on the 10th.

DH and I are older parents (my kids are bio daughter 10 and adopted son 11) We thought we were done . . . >Surprise!

I had cervical cancer two years ago and had a third of my cervix removed. My. Dr has me scheduled for a cerclage next month. Does anyone else need one? Has anyone had one before. He told me I would not be on bed rest but I will have some restrictions (no sex, no baths, no swimming, etc)

Needless to say, I am a little nervous. Anyone with experience?
November 9th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
No personal experience, but I knew a gal who had one a few years ago. She said it felt like a sharp pinch and caused cramping like after a pap. That's good you won't be on bed rest.

Just out of curiosity, why are they scheduling you for a section? I suspect the cervical surgery has something to do with it, but I would think that would make it easier to deliver vaginally, not harder (hence the cerclage) KWIM?

And by the way!
November 9th, 2012, 05:25 AM
There are a few reasons I have to have a c-section (and as someone who is totally afraid of them, I get it and trust my dr)
I had a beyond traumatic birth with my daughter - which is one reason I did not plan on having more children) as well as a I had an infection in my brain about six years ago (It sounds scary and it was!) but due to that, I cannot push as my brain now extends two cm beyond my skull - I keep telling dh it is why I am so much smarter than he is
Wow, I sound like a mess, I am really a pretty fit and normal 39 year old!!!
November 9th, 2012, 05:32 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't need a cerclage so no advice there.

This will be a repeat c-section the week of 6-10 (and I will be 38). The c-section was not bad. The recovery wasn't terrible. The best advice I was given was 1) get up and get moving as soon as they unhook you and 2) stay on top of the pain meds for 2 weeks. Even if you think you don't need more advil, take it.
CartersMommy likes this.
November 9th, 2012, 08:41 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had an emergency cerclage and also a routine cerclage with my last pregnancy. Don't be nervous! It is not a big deal! Since yours is a routine cerclage, it isn't something to be too nervous about! You just have to be careful not to lift much weight, avoid swimming and baths for infection reasons etc.

It causes a little cramping after they put in the stitch, but mine held nice and strong all the way to the end and helped make sure I had a full term baby. I will be getting another one with pregnancy at about 14 weeks!

November 9th, 2012, 09:37 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
No experience here but congrats and welcome!

November 9th, 2012, 01:15 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a close friend who lost a baby at 25 weeks due to her cervix dialating prematurely and they couldn't stop it. Her next pregnancy, she had a routine cerclage around 12 weeks and was on bed rest for a few days afterwards. She was able to carry her baby to 39 weeks and is now the proud mommy of a chunky healthy baby boy.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search