BF vs FF

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2012, 06:24 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Who is planning on BFing this LO? Or FF??

I'm planning on BFing.. I BFed dd for 10 weeks before my milk gave out but i don't feel like I gave it a really good shot, so this time, I'm going to do whatever is necessary..
Mrs. D likes this.

#1, 4, 5, 7
November 9th, 2012, 06:32 AM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will definitely BF. DS#1 got 9 months before I dried up due to a crazy work schedule. DS#2 went 18 months. So, I'm excited about doing it again.
Mom2LillieAidan likes this.

November 9th, 2012, 07:11 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think I'm going to pump and bottle feed. At least that's what I'd like to do. I'll have to go back to work as soon as I can and my job doesn't allow for breaks like that, nor do I live close enough to work to go home and breastfeed. But this being my first baby, I don't know what is going to happen. Haha.

November 9th, 2012, 07:24 AM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to attempt BFing again. I had an incredibly hard painful and frustrating experience with my son a d I'll be honest I hate BFing because of it but I'll try again. He had an undetected tongue take the hospital missed that caused me immense pain (as in bleeding scabs crying while feeding it hurt so much) and I think maybe because it went for over a week undetected he never demanded enough so he was always hungry and I was nursing literally around the clock almost always. I was so frustrated in pain and exhausted it really turned me off. Eventually he started fall of the growth charts and we had to supplement and then I moved to pumping so I could see ow much was eating. So I exclusively breast fed for 3 months close to 4 and then pumped and supplemented till 11 months when I dried up. I'm really scared to go through this part again as it was such a nightmare for me, like I wanted to deliver him again naturally before breastfeeding ever again. My husband and I both said the moment this one is born we are asking for a tongue tie check as we are not going through that again.

Last edited by enchantingdragon; November 9th, 2012 at 08:58 PM.
November 9th, 2012, 07:48 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I'll be EBF'ing again. I'm still nursing Connor, who is 2.5, about once or twice a day.

November 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish I could! I have MS so I have to go immediately back on to my meds/steroids after delivery and they pass completely into the breast milk So I will be formula feeding... but I am a big supporter of those that can!
Logiesmomma and 4hearts like this.

November 9th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I was worried I would have trouble BFing because I have always had barely-there boobs and I know they say size doesn't matter but mine were like AA!! And my mom always said she needed to supplement because she didn't make enough. But I read a lot about BFing and took the hospital class and knew I would be doing a lot of skin time and total on demand BFing including cosleeping for at least the first few weeks... and guess what... I had OVERSUPPLY if anything and my DD stayed huge and chart-topping and chubby with total EBF. I am weaning her slowly now at 17 months because she is crazy persistent with BFing super frequently even though my milk is tanking with the pregnancy and I am close to underweight and need to conserve my nutrients.

I really recommend educating yourself about BFing for those who hope to do it. "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" is the bible but my favorite book was a funny cartoon book called "Food of Love: The Easier Way to Breastfeeding Your Baby". It basically tells you to lie around the house half naked with your baby and be super lazy and let helpers do all the cleaning and cooking in those first few weeks. Funny part is, it is based on research and actually works

November 9th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have tiny boobs too, and never any problems BFing my two kids. I plan on BFing this one too, but I will pump every so often so that DH or DD can feed the baby. DS never got a bottle, and he also hasn't bonded with DH like DD did (I went back to work after DD, so DH always gave her a morning bottle).
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I BF DD until just after her second birthday. It did hurt like crazy at first and my nipples cracked and bled and scabbed, too, but we got past it and then it was smooth sailing. I do remember being really frustrated in the beginning because she wanted to nurse 24/7, and somehow I felt like she wasn't getting enough, but she was gaining weight and the constant demand slowed after about 3-4 weeks. I hope this next baby is as easy, but I know they're all different. Luckily I have lots of friends in the birth community and there are a ton of resources for new mamas here in Seattle, so I'll get help if I need it. I won't beat myself up if it doesn't work out, though. I know plenty of FF babies who grew up juuuuust fine.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
I really want to BF. I didn't do it with either of my DD's, but really want to this time.

~Kristin~
November 9th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Super Mommy
Will definitely be BFing with this LO. DS1 was BF for 11 months and DS2 for a year. They both seemed to wean themselves, they were just so busy and had no interest in it after that. It was very difficult at first with DS1, I was engorged for the first 8 weeks of his life, but I persevered on through it and we had a fabulous nursing relationship. DS2 was 9lb3oz and my milk usually takes the max amount of days to come in, the doctor told me if he started losing too much weight, I would have to supplement. Well he did lose a little too much, but I thought the doc was FOS so I didn't listen and he starting gaining it all back in no time at all. Our nursing relationship was always great, despite a bit of cracked nips at the beginning.
November 9th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
Planning to BF. I am still BFing my 6-month-old I'll probably tandem nurse because I don't think my dd is giving up the boob any time soon lol.
November 9th, 2012, 09:36 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Im still bfing my 3rd child so we will be tandem nursing.

November 9th, 2012, 09:52 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I will be BF and pumping once I go back to work. It is now law for your workplace to give you breaks and a private space (not a bathroom) to pump. I BF DD1 for 5 months before I quit and switched to formula. I didn't have enough resources or support to continue nursing through the problems I had. With DD2 I was bound and determined to never give her formula. I made it through a tongue tie and reflux with her until 2 weeks shy of her 2nd birthday. My goal with this one is EBF (bottle fed breast milk while at daycare) for 6 months, and continue BF/pumping until 1 year. After that, we'll play it by ear.
LisaS and CartersMommy like this.
November 9th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Rochelle
BFing probably until close to 2 yrs again like with the others.
November 9th, 2012, 11:22 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Hopefully ebf. I have done it all. I'm hoping no nicu and no pumping.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
November 9th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Breastfeeding. I bf'ed my first for 10 months and my second for 13 months. There will be some pumping/bottle feeding due to going back to work though.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
November 9th, 2012, 11:38 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
EBF. I am still nursing my 1 year old so hopefully we will be tantum nursing when this baby comes.

November 9th, 2012, 12:06 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will try to BF - with DS he never latched correctly and I ended up exclusively pumping for about 13-14 months with a freezer stash that got him at least a bottle of breast milk a day until he was close to 17 months. =)

The first couple weeks were the hardest - pumping every 2 hours for 20 minutes but once my milk was really established I could go up to 5 hours without pumping. I did feel a bit like a cow though but anything that was good for him was worth it to me.

November 9th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm going to give breastfeeding another go.

I had a really hard time the first time around. We never did seem to get it right, and it was painful for the entire 4 months that I did it. I had to go back to work full time when my daughter was 4 weeks old, and worked at a job that didn't give me any breaks to pump. I got caught pumping in a supply closet (the only semi private spot I could find) and was told by my supervisor that I had to do it on my own time - meaning I could only pump at my lunch break. My milk was completely dried up by 4 months...too stressful!

This time around I'm a stay at home mom, so I'm looking forward to being able to breastfeed for much longer. But if, for whatever reason, it doesn't work out...I won't beat myself up about it. My daughter is perfectly healthy and strong and intelligent, and she was formula fed from 4 months onward.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search