Any van recommendations?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 10th, 2012, 07:15 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Sept 2014 DDC Co-host
Hey lovely ladies! Hope all is going well on your weekends. I am stuck on bedrest and therefore browsing the internet like a manwoman, haha! We are planning to buy a van or POSSIBLY a 3 row SUV (Depending on the price since they obviously can cost a lot more than vans) and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

We would really appreciate some advice! We never thought of ourselves as van people, but with baby making 5 we will need the space. And I am just not sure an SUV is going to be in the budget sadly. Thanks!

November 11th, 2012, 06:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We finally broke down and bought a minivan a year ago... good thing as we will also have a family of 5

We were on a budget and I do not like any sort of vehicle debt so I got a really nice Nissan Quest minivan for under $10000. Felt huge after driving a compact SUV but I love it. So much room and it has been super reliable in every way. I even get 19-22 MPG (combined highway and city), which is pretty good. No way I was doing 15-16 MPG.

We also looked at 3rd row SUV's but most had really poor gas mileage and many of them you can only access the 3rd row by folding down one of the seats in the 2nd row, which is obviously no good if you have a car seat installed there. Just something to think about.
7 lbs 6 oz, 21 inches
November 11th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We have a 3rd row SUV. I do love it but I think one day I might break down and get a van. We got it because we have two great danes and my step-son and the idea that we wanted kids together. We never thought that would include doing IVF and now having twins. My sister has a van and it really does have more storage space than my suv even though mine is bigger. When we went to the beach last summer we used the entire back and 3rd row for our two dogs and barely had enough room for our stuff but my sister can fit her four dogs and all of their stuff with room to spare and she also has a kid. So we had about the same about of space taken up in terms of animals and people.

The only downside I really see to getting a van is that I love my all-wheel drive and since we live in an area where we get huge snows every couple of years. I would realy hate to be stuck.
November 11th, 2012, 09:02 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I swore I would never drive a minivan. I had an Acura MDX, which has a very small 3rd row, but only if you don't want any storage space in the back. We decided to look at bigger SUVs. My sister drives a suburban, which is a freakin tank. I didn't like driving it, so that one was out. I looked at the Mercedes GL class (used). Super comfy, but the storage space in the back end was teeny. A friend drives a Tahoe, and the back storage space is pretty small in that too. I couldn't justif spending an extra $15k on an SUV and getting less storage space and less gas mileage than a van. We ended up getting a 2011 Toyota Sienna this summer. It has all the options I wanted, the gas mileage is the same as my MDX was, and the storage is great. I looked at Consumer Reports to make my decision on which van to consider. Toyota, Honda, and Nissan got the best reviews. The Hondas seemed a little more pricey for the same options as the Toyota, but still great vans.
November 11th, 2012, 09:05 AM
terese81's Avatar Veteran
We also have a Nissan Quest ('08), and it's very reliable, and looks nice too. The ONLY thing I wish, is that I had the automatic door thing that you can close with a button. I didn't think it was necessary, but would really come in handy. LOL.
November 11th, 2012, 09:38 AM
MrsLat's Avatar Sept 2014 DDC Co-host
Awesome. I will keep that in mind! My hubby has been a lifelong Nissan driver, so he was leaning toward a Quest, I was leaning towards a Sienna so I guess we will see when we get out there and test drive!

November 11th, 2012, 12:20 PM
lalap's Avatar Super Teacher
My husband has a 2006 Sienna (a gift from his parents) and I freakin' LOVE driving it. I have a fully-loaded Accord of my own, but I often make my husband take it so I can drive the van. Lol. It's so convenient, and it makes me feel so high up and in charge on the road.
November 11th, 2012, 05:24 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
The only minivan we ever owned was a chevy venture. It was a good vehicle, but we grew out of it when #6 came.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 3 and John Anthony, born May 24

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

Remember your resolution to lose weight or start working out? Click the blinkie to join us!

November 11th, 2012, 10:36 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
We have a Toyota Sienna that seats 8. I love our van. Sadly, we've outgrown it and need something else.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search