Need some opinions

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By zkat
  • 1 Post By TeresaV
  • 1 Post By Steph625
  • 2 Post By Mrs. D
  • 1 Post By wanttobeinvienna

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2012, 04:55 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DH still has the crib my stepdaughter slept in. The problem: it's a dropside. What is everyone's feelings on them now that they're banned? Would you definitely not use one? I'm just so up-in-the-air about it. DH thinks I'm being silly. His opinion, "my daughter's still alive, isn't she?" Ok fine, but obviously the risk is there. Does anyone else have older cribs? Are you using them or junking them? I'm certainly not trying to stir up a controversy, but I'm just kind of torn.

November 13th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you don't want it, I would love to have it!
November 13th, 2012, 05:09 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You can call the manufacturer and get a kit to fix it. It will make it stationary.
mommyandwife08 likes this.
November 13th, 2012, 05:10 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post
You can call the manufacturer and get a kit to fix it. It will make it stationary.
REALLY????? That is super! Thanks so much!
CartersMommy likes this.

November 13th, 2012, 05:29 PM
CartersMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree about the kit. I would not use it as it is drop side but that is just me!
November 13th, 2012, 05:33 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I agree about the kit, I also would not use it as a drop side. But that's just me.

November 13th, 2012, 07:48 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldnt use the dropside either...it may be cheaper but definately not worth the risk!!

November 13th, 2012, 08:15 PM
lil_fishy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Man, I wanted a dropside crib so bad, but couldn't get one. From what I've read, the reason dropside cribs were banned is installation errors or manufacturing issues.... so if the dropside pieces are metal and not plastic and it is put together correctly, I wouldn't think twice about using a dropside crib. BUT if you are uncomfortable with it, get a new one or get the kit to make it stationary. It is hard enough to sleep with a newborn/baby in the house, you don't need to be worrying and losing sleep over it.

November 14th, 2012, 01:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I plan on using my Drop side from 4 years ago..before they recalled all drop sides mine was about the only one left they didn't recall(if that makes sense) I called to get the all metal kit but never installed it bc at that time I kept it down all the time bc DD was an escape artist. So this time I will install the metal hardware or try to get the stationary hardware that was mentioned.

November 14th, 2012, 02:02 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I didn't even know dropside cribs have been banned until recently. I need to get with the times! I'll be using a crib that my mother had used and saved that my now 11 year old daughter used. And I'm sure it is a dropside. I will investigate in getting a kit for it....don't know since its so old but who knows.
wanttobeinvienna likes this.
November 14th, 2012, 02:11 AM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
Drop side cribs are all recalled? I had no idea. Ours works great. All metal hardware and very sturdy. I'm not worried about it at all.

November 14th, 2012, 02:55 AM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
I just did a little research on the matter. Apparently since 2000 thirty two infants have been killed because of dropside crib malfunctions. As a result, 9 million cribs are being recalled.

It sounds bad, but if you think about it that's 32 children in 12 years over a span of 9 million cribs. Honestly, I'm surprised they're recalling them instead of just making sturdier hardware required. If you do the math, assuming that a child uses a crib to about age 2, the chances of your baby being harmed by a drop side crib is 1/3,300,000.
To put that in perspective, about 40 babies in the US died of Whooping Cough in 2008 (who really worries about whooping cough?) And 500 children under the age of 3 died in automobile accidents in 2005, (we still drive our kids around, don't we?)
TeresaV and wanttobeinvienna like this.

November 14th, 2012, 03:25 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
I would get the kit

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

November 14th, 2012, 04:34 AM
wanttobeinvienna's Avatar Veteran
I had no idea they were banned, but Mrs. D, you think a lot like I do, we could go INSANE as parents with the level of fear put out in raising our children. (Pregnancy alone is a trap!! I have a sister in law who is pregnant and she goes by every new rule put out there from what to eat or not to eat, cell phone use, etc. I, on the other hand, am pretty relaxed about things and still eat a turkey sandwhich without having a panic attack- while talking on my cell phone!!) We all should have bubbles to put ourselves in!

That being said, you have to do what makes you feel comfortable and able to sleep well at night, so if that's getting the repair kit, or a new crib, as long as you feel confident, that's all that matters.
Mrs. D likes this.

November 14th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a dropside crib from DD but I'm a bit spoiled and gave it away so I can buy a new crib anyway

#1, 4, 5, 7
November 14th, 2012, 12:37 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'd try the kit. We have the kit, but DH never installed it. Maybe he will this time. We spent quite a bit on our crib with the intention of it lasting through all of our children. The dropside recall was a bit of a hiccup, but I'm not getting rid of our crib. It's beautiful, plus I don't have extra money to buy a new crib.
November 14th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Veteran
I bought our crib from a second hand shop when I was pregnant with my son and the huge recall happened about a month later. I remembered watching the news and completely freaking out and wanted to buy a brand new crib. DH convinced me to allow him to secure it and he screwed 6 brackets, 3 on each side, and the side won't budge. I was satisfied and trust me, I checked it everyday till DS was in a bed. Since we bought it used (mattress we bought new) we couldn't get the kit. I plan on having DH tighten them up to my approval and we will be using it for this one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search