Laboring at home: How long did u wait and will you be doing this time?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Nattie84
I plan to labor at home for as long as possible to avoid all the rushing they do at the hospital. The last time I went in right away which I wish I hadnt, I plan to stay at home for as long as possible...I guess when contractions are about 3 minutes apart.

Did you labor at home during previous pregnacy and will you be waiting to go in to the hospital this time around?
November 14th, 2012, 08:40 AM
JadeS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JadeS Send a message via Yahoo to JadeS
as long as possible.. i want the stay in the hospital as short as possible.. i will have my doula meet me at home..i want to be in my own space to relax... i would do a home birth but i don't think DH will go with it..
November 14th, 2012, 08:51 AM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I labored at home for the first 5-6 hours of my 14 hour labor with DS#1. DS#2 was an induction, so I was at the hospital the whole time. I like to wait until I'm ready for my epidural. lol

November 14th, 2012, 10:08 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I'm not leaving unless there is an emergency.
jhmomofmany likes this.

November 14th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
I was in labor off and on all day and finally went to the hospital when they were 3-7 minutes apart. I totally thought they were gonna send me home or at least I'd have a long time still before I delivered....first babies are supposed to be long, right? When I got there, I was 5cm. I delivered 3hrs later after pushing 15 minutes. So I'm nervous that this time will be even faster! I'll wait until they're 5 min apart this time.

November 14th, 2012, 10:31 AM
wanttobeinvienna's Avatar Veteran
I am the opposite...take me to the hospital, get me an epidural, and let's enjoy this baby coming

With my first, I waited until my water broke, after laboring all night, and having a slow trickle all night. It was perfect timing.

With my second, I was in labor all day without realizing it...so I waited longer than necessary.

Seriously, for this one if I could get a epidural 2 weeks before my due date and just keep it going, that would be GREAT!
wildchihuahua and Karen78 like this.

November 14th, 2012, 12:49 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
With my first I went in after a few hours, which was still too early, because I was young and paranoid lol ... with my second I was induced so I was there from the get-go. This time I fully intend to labor at home for as long as possible without freaking out my older kids. (They are worriers like me)
November 14th, 2012, 01:06 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I don't know. I went in too early with my first and ended up stuck in triage for an hour, and then walked the halls for another hour before I could get a room. That was my 8 hour labor. The next time my midwife said I should head to the hospital (45 minutes away without traffic) when my contractions were 5-6 minutes apart. My labor was only 90 minutes long, and the first hour the contractions were 10-15 minutes apart. After the first hour, then they were right on top of each other, my water broke, and I immediately started pushing in my bathroom. Needless to say I did not make it to my hospital, so that was waiting a little too long.
November 14th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
I don't know. I went in too early with my first and ended up stuck in triage for an hour, and then walked the halls for another hour before I could get a room. That was my 8 hour labor. The next time my midwife said I should head to the hospital (45 minutes away without traffic) when my contractions were 5-6 minutes apart. My labor was only 90 minutes long, and the first hour the contractions were 10-15 minutes apart. After the first hour, then they were right on top of each other, my water broke, and I immediately started pushing in my bathroom. Needless to say I did not make it to my hospital, so that was waiting a little too long.
Your labor sounds like mine. My first was 12 hours similar to your first. My 2nd my water broke at home I waited until I couldn't take the contractions barely made it to the hospital. Third was born at home but my midwives barely made it.

November 14th, 2012, 01:19 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DD we tried for a homebirth and I was in labor for 48 hours at home and only progressed to 4cm. I was exhausted by then and we finally decided to transfer to the hospital. I caved and got an epidural so I could get some rest and I think because I was only 4cm I shot myself in the foot. We gave it another 15 hours and they broke my water and gave me pitocin to try to move things along but I only got to 6cm and Eliza's heart rate started to become irregular so they did a c-section.

With this one we'll probably be doing a planned hospital birth because we can't afford to pay out of pocket for a homebirth delivery with a midwife. I want to labor at home as long as possible before going in because I have a feeling I'll be in for another crazy long labor and I REALLY want a VBAC. But if I have as much fluid as I did with DD and the baby can't engage and descend then we'll go in sooner so they can break my water before I'm too tired to go on. I don't want an epidural this time if I can help it because I think it stalled what little progress I was making.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

November 14th, 2012, 01:51 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I plan on laboring at home for as long as possible, I don't care if I don't get to the hospital on time! lol That was the plan with Connor as well, unfortunately we had to induce at 41 weeks, so everything started in the hospital.

November 14th, 2012, 02:19 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
As of now we plan to stay at home all the way through.

With Lucy I had cx every 20-30 minutes for most of the evening and by the time they were "regular" I was literally minutes away from transition. No way would I want to attempt a 40 minute car ride in that condition, so in the event we have to go to the birth center for this baby, we should probably leave sooner rather than later.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

November 14th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Nattie84
3 minutes apart may be to close, being this is my third my labor should go fast. my last baby was born in about 5-7 hours. I think I will go in when the contractions are about 5mins apart. I am hoping my labor is about 4-5 hours.

I dont think babies tolerate pitocin well, it seems like their heart rates drop everytime because the contractions become to violent and this often ends in c-sections. This is my main reason for avoiding the hospital until the very end. I am totally against pitocin for myself. I am going to prepare my home to be as comforting as possible, I am dreading the car ride to the hospital though....
November 14th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I labored at home pretty much the whole time with DS since when I got to the hospital I was already 10cm dilated and couldn't even get an epidural even if I wanted to, I plan on staying at home as long as I can again since i hate when they check you down there and put their whole arm up your private lol

November 14th, 2012, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen88 View Post
I labored at home pretty much the whole time with DS since when I got to the hospital I was already 10cm dilated and couldn't even get an epidural even if I wanted to, I plan on staying at home as long as I can again since i hate when they check you down there and put their whole arm up your private lol
You can decline vaginal exams. I only had 1 my whole labor with our 3rd and that was just to verify I was
Complete because my body was pushing. Remember they work for you.
Farmers-wife and Mrs. D like this.

November 14th, 2012, 03:00 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I'll be induced, and probably a good thing. I dilate really fast so by the time it hurts, the baby is coming. One of mine was almost born in the hall after them saying I was only 3cm and one I had all by myself. She was born in the amniotic sack (en caul) and the nurse barely came in in time to open the sack.
I would be too paranoid that I'd have the baby with no one around.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
November 14th, 2012, 04:05 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I go when I am sure I am in labor. We also live 45 mins away and though we have never come close, I really don't want to have the baby in the car. I wish I was cool enough to have home births, but I'm not. There is something comforting for me to go. Maybe it is just having something to do.
November 14th, 2012, 04:27 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will labor at home for as long as possible. I was in labor for 26 hours with DD. I was induced with DS and it was 8 hours start to finish. I'm hoping for 8 hours or under but I don't have any fears of going so fast I won't make it to the hospital. I just want to be as comfortable and free to move around my house for as long as possible.

November 14th, 2012, 04:50 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I kept going to the hospital and they kept sending me home I was a week overdue and totally anxious and I had really bad contractions for 2 days to the point where I couldn't sleep through them and I was so exhausted. It was horrible because when it was finally really time to go in, I was so tired and sore!! I labored in the tub and got out at the very end when they said they needed to monitor the baby.

I will try to stay at home until I am absolutely sure this time!! I do not want to wait too long though because I liked laboring in the tub and I remember HATING the car ride and this time we have farther to go.

November 14th, 2012, 05:56 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My water broke with DD at 41 weeks before i was having any contractions so we went to the hospital for the whole 24 hour labor. I was put on pitocin cuz it was either that or a CS which i was deadset against. My DD did fine on it i should add. With this one i hope i go into labor before my water breaks. I will stay at home then and take lots of baths. Im a total water person and water relaxes me always....last time i was only allowed a shower due to risk of infection. So id be happy to do ANY laboring at home

Last edited by MamaSkunk; November 14th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search