Btdt moms-lets shed some light

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 5 Post By jhmomofmany
  • 2 Post By terese81
  • 2 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 2 Post By ashleykathleen
  • 1 Post By 8miraclez
  • 1 Post By eshute

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2012, 10:51 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
What do you know now that you wished you knew with your first? Something that can help first time moms!

November 15th, 2012, 11:09 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Lots of things!

1. How to swaddle a newborn so they actually stay tucked in. Don't lay the baby on the corner, lay him/her on the top of the blanket. Fold one side over, tuck it. Fold the other side over, tuck it. Fold the bottom up and tuck both sides around and under baby. (Hope that makes sense).

2. Be prepared for conflicting emotions regarding your babies grandmas. On the one hand you will be grateful for their help and experience; OTOH you might be protective of your relationship with your newborn and resentful of their interference. Don't worry- no matter how wonderful grandma is, YOU will always be your baby's favorite person.

3. Don't expect your body to ever look or feel the same way it did before you were pregnant. Even when you get down to your normal weight, your body will be different but just as beautiful.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

November 15th, 2012, 11:32 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
1. I wish someone would have told me even though breastfeeding is natural, it may not come naturally! It will be slightly painful but after the first 6 weeks it will be a cake walk.

2. That after the baby is born you will have a high. And you may not sleep for several hours afterwards.

3. You may have an out of body experience, you will not believe this little person is yours. It maybe a little hard to believe at first.

4. Listen to your gut! No one else's. they mean well but really you are the mommy and you will know what to do.

November 15th, 2012, 11:35 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
It doesn't matter if 10 mommies absolutely loved a product and 15 other mommies completely hated a product....all that matters is how your baby (and sometimes you, but mostly your baby! ) feels about it! Trial & error with just about EVERYTHING, from pacifiers, bottles/nipples, diapers, etc!!

Breastfeeding can be VERY HARD and VERY FRUSTRATING (and sometimes VERY PAINFUL) in the beginning! Don't expect it to get easy and comfortable for at LEAST 2-3 weeks!! But it's TOTALLY worth it to stick out the hard times! After that, it should be smooth sailing!

Don't believe the myth that you'll never sleep again!

But also, don't feel you have to be so strict with sleep and schedules; do what feels right for you and baby and you will find a pattern or "schedule" (or non-schedule) that works for both of you soon enough!

November 15th, 2012, 11:36 AM
terese81's Avatar Veteran
I wish someone would have told me there were other forms of Postpartum Depression than what was covered in the baby books.

I was diagnosed with Postpartum OCD when my son was 5 months old, and it absolutely came out of nowhere and was extremely frightening! Most pregnancy books have a brief section on PPD (none included any mention of Postpartum OCD), and I figured I'd know if I had it. I was NOT depressed or sad or having trouble connecting with my son. I SO wish I would have been encouraged to read up on all there is to know about PPD, and the varying forms of it. I don't think PPD is something to fear or be afraid of getting, but knowledge would have been power, and I would not have suffered for as long as I did without seeking help.

All forms of PPD are treatable and will be overcome, but you have to know when to seek help.

I encourage, not only first time moms, but BTDT moms also, to read a little more into it, just in case.
QueenCrafty and Steph625 like this.
November 15th, 2012, 12:17 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
1. It's okay to ask for help. For the first few days, focus on the baby and let the rest of the household chores go to someone else if you can. Your house won't need to be spotless with a new baby. This also applies to feeling like you are overwhelmed. For me, week 3 is the absolute hardest. If you aren't taking the first few weeks well, tell someone.

2. If you are breastfeeding, cluster feeding is no joke. It will seem like baby is hungry all the time. Resist the urge to assume that you don't produce enough. If your baby is gaining weight and producing enough wet/dirty diapers, just keep on breastfeeding. Let your baby nurse as much as possible during these cluster feeds- it will help increase your supply to meet the needs of the growth spurt. Most women don't need to supplement with formula.
navywifey2003 and bribugg13 like this.
November 15th, 2012, 12:27 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wish someone would have told me that even though I would drop all the baby weight, my body would never be the same shape. I'm not complaining at all, just didn't know my hips would never completely go back to their original size.

I second the "trust your instincts" tip. When feeling frustrated trying everyone else's advice, put down the baby books, tune everyone out, and tune into your baby. This goes for BTDT moms too. What worked for your first, may not always work for your second or third. Every baby is different and your motherly instincts are usually spot on.
QueenCrafty and navywifey2003 like this.

November 15th, 2012, 06:53 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Bring maternity clothes to wear home from the hospital. I had to wear my dirty clothes home because I watched too many movies where the momlooked great walking out to the car.

The nurses will come and push on your stomach after yougive birth. I wanted to punch the first nurse who did that.

If you're nursing, you may have after pains, especially the more babies you have had.With my last baby, the after pains every time I nursed, were so bad, it was worse than labor. Pain meds are vdry useful and are given for a reason.
ashleykathleen likes this.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
November 15th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenCrafty View Post
1. It's okay to ask for help. For the first few days, focus on the baby and let the rest of the household chores go to someone else if you can. Your house won't need to be spotless with a new baby. This also applies to feeling like you are overwhelmed. For me, week 3 is the absolute hardest. If you aren't taking the first few weeks well, tell someone.

2. If you are breastfeeding, cluster feeding is no joke. It will seem like baby is hungry all the time. Resist the urge to assume that you don't produce enough. If your baby is gaining weight and producing enough wet/dirty diapers, just keep on breastfeeding. Let your baby nurse as much as possible during these cluster feeds- it will help increase your supply to meet the needs of the growth spurt. Most women don't need to supplement with formula.
I just want to all this

November 15th, 2012, 08:39 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow. I love this thread! I'm going to be a first time mom and it's great to see this advice!!
navywifey2003 likes this.

November 15th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
I did a LOT of reading before DS was born. But there were still a couple of things I would like to have known.

First, a newborn baby's stomach can only hold a couple teaspoons of milk at first. If you produce a lot of colostrum, he/she might get full very fast and not want to nurse for a while. And that's okay.

Baby won't even be hungry for the first few days, his blood will stay very hydrated and rich in nutrients from you for that long as your body is preparing your milk supply. You don't need to worry if your milk doesn't come in right away.

When the umbilical cord falls off it's really nasty looking. I thought it looked like there was a gaping hole in my son's belly and you could see his insides! but the hole heals over eventually and the baby won't turn inside out or anything.

Lastly, when baby comes he will go through about 12 diapers a day (after those first three days). And every one of them will be poop.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search