Should I get the NT scan?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By enchantingdragon

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2012, 05:29 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
My doctor asked me at my last appointment if I wanted any testing done, and I quickly said no. I'm 36 and will be 37 when baby comes, but never really thought I was "old". I don't think I want the afp done because of the high rate of false positives, but I'm wondering if it is worth getting the nt scan. When do you need to have it done? Is it very accurate? My next appointment, I'll be 12wks and I can decide to still do it. I just don't want to worry for no reason.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
November 19th, 2012, 05:55 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always get the NT scan as in I got it with my son. In my mind its just another way to see baby. It wont matter or change anything with the results so I just get to peek at baby and get a picture or two for my trouble.
bribugg13 and Hopeful2BMommy like this.
November 19th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The way my doctor explained it to me with my first was this: Will knowing the results change your decision to carry to term or not? I decided that it would not change my mind. We would see any abnormality markers (like down syndrome) at the 20 week scan and would therefore know to expect something different at birth.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

November 20th, 2012, 04:28 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am only getting it done because my baby's dad's aunt has down syndrome and they recommended it because of that. It wouldn't change the outcome of my pregnancy. I guess for me it's a way to get an ultrasound before 20 weeks which is a lot of peace of mind for me seeing as this is my first baby. Like the other ladies said, would it change the outcome of your pregnancy? If not, you may not want to bother or spend the money on it if your insurance doesn't cover it.

November 20th, 2012, 07:02 AM
wanttobeinvienna's Avatar Veteran
We have a high rate of down's in our family as well...
While it wouldn't change my mind as to whether or not to carry the pregnancy...education and knowledge is POWERFUL! Baby's with down's face unique complications, starting at birth, including heart and lung issues. Being knowledgeable if you do have to face that only helps everyone in the long run...

I choose to do the testing... Much like knowing the gender doesn't change whether you will keep the pregnancy or not, but rather gives you a glimpse into this tiny person you are creating and who they are... knowing any "abnormalities" also helps me learn as much as possible about my little miracle.

November 20th, 2012, 02:21 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I agree with the other ladies, it would not change my decision to carry to term, however I would be able to research and learn about what life will be like after baby gets here if something does show up on the test. And getting to see the bean again and get pictures is always a plus!

November 20th, 2012, 02:55 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Its not ever been offered to me except in my home birth (I found that odd) but it was out of pocket, the only thing that is offered is the quad screen and I know the high rate of false positives with the quad so we opt out of that one. We will not be getting it done this time either.

November 20th, 2012, 11:53 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If your insurance covers it, I would . I guess I have the same perspective as a lot of the ladies.... knowledge is power. And if something were to be abnormal, you can make sure that everything is in place--that you find a really good, experienced pediatrician, etc so you are prepared when little miracle baby #8 makes its arrival.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search