Bad baby name suggestions

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 24th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My mother has her heart set on the name Ahava.

Pronounced Ah-hav-ah

Which I think is a very pretty name, however it is the hebrew word for love, and we are not jewish. I agreed with her once that it was a pretty name and she started telling the family that if we had a girl, that would be her name. I corrected her, infront of the family...jokingly "whoa whoa...we are still thinking about it and we have a lot of time." She got really mopey for about a half an hour.

Truth is, I don't want to name my baby Ahava.

My 11 year old has a crush on a girl in his class who's name is Charity. He keeps trying to push that.

My husband is a history buff and wants to name our baby, if its a boy, Hannibal. After this guy:

Hannibal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

but all I can think about is lector.

I'm just over here like "I like the name Michael" LOL like seriously. I'm 10 weeks pregnant! Am I going to have 30 more weeks of this crap?

November 24th, 2012, 07:31 AM
JadeS's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to JadeS Send a message via Yahoo to JadeS
I can see if it was a family name.. But even still the bottom line is... It's your baby and the choice is up to you and your husband.. Not any one else.. So if it comes to it you might have to just tell the family to please just lay off...
November 24th, 2012, 07:39 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If your family is anything like mine, then yes you will have 30 more weeks of that lol. We learned quickly after #1 not to include our families in any name discussions. I've been called some not-so-nice names from some people in DF's family because I put my foot down and told them it was our baby and what we name him/her is none of their business. This time around, everyone knows better than to ask

November 24th, 2012, 08:51 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Oh, boy... suggestions from family you can ignore, but you kinda have to talk about it with DH. Good luck with that one, LOL! You can agree to whatever they say but then YOU are the one they will talk to about filing for the birth certificate. "Gee honey, I told them Hannibal, I don't know why it says Michael!"
crawmommy likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

November 24th, 2012, 01:24 PM
Veteran
bwahahaha - hannibal. you should tell your family that's the name, but choose something else.

This is why we don't choose a name in advance.

November 24th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have received NO input on baby names whatsoever, fortunately..

#1, 4, 5, 7
November 24th, 2012, 01:58 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
We keep our name discussions and decision to ourselves. We don't tell family the name until the baby is born for this very reason. It's just easier that way.
November 24th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hannibal???????? Wow..... well on the bright side, I bet he wouldn't be bullied- everyone would be too scared of him!

We have had names picked out for the first girl (so already used) and first boy since we were, like, dating but we have a second girl name figured out now just in case. Our families know that we have names picked out way in advance and they are not going to be changed. We also pretty much stick to family tree names so that helps the family not argue about it. Who is going to have a problem with naming a baby after some fondly remembered late relative, right?

After reading the wiki article... why not suggest to your husband Alexander instead??

November 24th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Mrs. D's Avatar Super Mommy
Hannibal? Wow.

I know a lady who named her son Kermit. I kind of wonder if she'll name her next two Bert and Ernie. Lol. But Hannibal beats that hands down!
crawmommy likes this.
November 24th, 2012, 03:01 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My husband loves Cornelius. Gag me.

I'm not sure if we will share our choices this time.

November 24th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
shen....

My first born's name is Alexander.

yeah, he keeps trying to tell me "we can call him Bal!"

November 24th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hannibal...that is a doosey! My mom kindly reminds me at Holiday gatherings in front of people that if my dad had his way my name would have been GERTRUDE....yuck! Thank goodness for my mom putting her foot down! Oh what a life that would have been lol.

November 24th, 2012, 10:04 PM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawmommy View Post
Hannibal...that is a doosey! My mom kindly reminds me at Holiday gatherings in front of people that if my dad had his way my name would have been GERTRUDE....yuck! Thank goodness for my mom putting her foot down! Oh what a life that would have been lol.
Ha ha. My Dad wanted to name me Penelope Gertrude.

we don't tell anyone our names until we name the baby. That didn't stop my mom from trying to nickname a few of my kids. It takes dh and I awhile to decide together on a name. A few of our kids were born, and nameless for 4 days. Here, after 4 days, you have to file for a second birth certificate, so we hurry and decided.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
November 25th, 2012, 01:58 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Oh my family knows, to shut their mouth haha.

But that being said, a friend of mine named her son Cloud Skywalker, not even joking.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

November 25th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Super Mommy
OMG my family has been doing the exact SAME thing LOL! My sister INSISTS that if we are having a girl that she should be named "Callie" She even has her kids calling the baby callie! Callie is pretty dont get me wrong but its not exactly my favorite pick lol. When I tell them I like Brooke, or Lindsay they say " NOOOOO!" Its absolutly rediculous.
November 25th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaze View Post
shen....

My first born's name is Alexander.

yeah, he keeps trying to tell me "we can call him Bal!"
Hahaha!!! Awesome. Sorry if it is in your siggy or something, I am mobile and can't see them.

I think you need to come up with alternative historical military commander names for your DH. Philip? Or else just pray for a girl

November 25th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When we chose Fiona for our daughter's name we definitely got some loud opinions from my husband's side of the family. Apparently it's both "Hoity-toity" and "artsy-fartsy". We think it's lovely. Classic but unique and not complicated to spell.

However my sister-in-law has named her kids Kayleighe Shae, Rubye Soux, and Bentlee Knox...and the family LOVES those names. Just wait until they hear that the name we're choosing this time (if we get a boy) is Finnegan Michael. I'll never hear the end of it!

November 25th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh my gosh. I'm sorry, but one of my pet peeves are overly complicated spelled names. I hate unusually spelled names. Sorry, but "Kahytee" still sounds like "Katie"

Now, don't get me wrong! I love unusual names! But this new trend with names...ugh.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

November 25th, 2012, 11:08 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne Nicole View Post
When we chose Fiona for our daughter's name we definitely got some loud opinions from my husband's side of the family. Apparently it's both "Hoity-toity" and "artsy-fartsy". We think it's lovely. Classic but unique and not complicated to spell.

However my sister-in-law has named her kids Kayleighe Shae, Rubye Soux, and Bentlee Knox...and the family LOVES those names. Just wait until they hear that the name we're choosing this time (if we get a boy) is Finnegan Michael. I'll never hear the end of it!
I think Fiona and Finnegan are lovely names! My friend named her daughter Fiona and her mother said "Oh like the ogre in Shrek?" My friend was not happy.

I have to admit that I am one of those complicated namers. When we announced that our oldest was Liliana, we had some interesting remarks. When our second was born and we named her Abrielle, people were like "Huh? How do you even say that?" For the record, it's pronounced ah-bree-ELLE. I think everyone expects us to come up with something even more complicated this time around. We'll see. I like historical names that are unique but elegant.
November 25th, 2012, 11:28 AM
wanttobeinvienna's Avatar Veteran
I absolutely LOVE the naming process and figuring out the PERFECT name for my kids!
When my ex and I were expecting our first, we were both so excited when we decided on the name Ezekiel for him...Oh man, the looks and commments we got (my favorite is always- We have a dog named Zeke)....awesome :/.
When we decided on Paxton for our daughter, again we were super excited about that name. But again, the comments were so hurtful! (My favorite that time- What is a Paxton?!?) I know we don't choose the most average names, but any name someone chooses means something to THEM.. .and the rest of the world just needs to SHUT UP!!

We decided names for this one this weekend, and again, I am really excited about them- they are pretty "normal" so I don't expect quite as many comments, but I am sure we will be surprised.

If it's a boy his name will be Barron Abbott, and called Abe. Barron after my father who recently passed away and Abbott because my SO is related to James Abbott Whistler.
If it's a girl her name will be Raegan Kathleen, and called Rae. Raegan because we wanted a gaelic name, and my favorite name, Tatum, was scratched , and Kathleen is my middle name. Although I am still toying with using Abbott as the middle name for a girl, because I really like the name!

I can't wait to see what the comments will be about the names, but we are so excited about them, and that's all that matters!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search