How were you raised?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2012, 11:18 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We're you raised pretty traditional? Non traditional? Do you plan on raising your children the same?

November 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
I was raised pretty traditional. I was born and raised in New Zealand so I love nature. My parents had my sister and I outside all the time. We rarely watched TV. I plan to raise my children the same and living in Russia, you get the best of both worlds.
November 27th, 2012, 12:45 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was raised by a very traditional old school but nurturing dad and a non traditional mom. My mom got real depressed after the death of my brother when I was 2 1/2 so she did nothing but lay in bed n watch tv. My main parenting figures were my grandparents. So I am very traditional. My DD is 2(24 months) and already knows please, thank you and welcome and in correct context. However that bring said I am also very nurturing and allow DD to bedshare during naps and if shes sick or teething I have done skin to skin with her to soothe her. And she gets tons of hugs and kisses and affection daily which is more than I got as a child.

November 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom was very affectionate, I don't know if that's traditional or non, but we were raised to respect our elders and to do our best to be good people. So far, I'm raising dd the same. SO was raised pretty tough. His dad was really hard on him and would punish him for even breathing wrong. So he's trying to help me with dd and learning to go easier.

#1, 4, 5, 7
November 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM
Super Mommy
I guess I was raised a little bit of both. My mom and dad always made sure that we knew our manners, our place in the house and that we pulled our own weight. But they were both fairly non-traditional in certain ways, we were allowed to watch R rated movies occasionally, read whatever we want. But my mom also taught us about God and sin, but not in any true religious fashion. We got spanked, but only when we deserved it. After my mom went downhill in her drinking, we moved out to Colorado and my parents got divorced. My dad pretty much let us have freedom completely. I was allowed to go out whenever I felt like it, do pretty much whatever I wanted. I'm **** glad I had common sense, because I could have gotten myself in some pretty sticky situations. I had to watch my youngest brother basically like I was his mother from a very young age, because my mom just wasn't around and my dad had to work a lot. He made it clear to us that failing school wasn't acceptable, and I actually graduated early. He let me move out with my BF (now DH) when I was only 16.

With my own kids, we're fairly traditional, kind of not. We teach our kids about God, and manners and they know their place and respect their elders. We rarely spank, always timeouts. We love music and listen to everything, they're not allowed to watch anything that isn't age appropriate unless we approve it first. I guess we just kind of wing it and do what works for us and makes us feel comfortable.
November 27th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My parents were pretty non traditional I guess. We were very very rarely punished or reprimanded for anything. We weren't little hellions or anything either though, it wasn't a big deal. And I guess as parents DH and I are the same. AP/gentle discipline, affectionate. It is really important to me to encourage curiosity, exploration and intrinsic motivation in DD, so I really let her explore freely as much as possible and create a safe environment for that. I don't believe in physical punishment or anger/guilt trip/love withdrawal type punishment either, so basically no punishment at all lol, just natural consequences. I think I am more physically affectionate with her than I experienced growing up, but more like DH's family was with him. But I am not big on table manners and such and DH is WAY into that stuff, so we'll see whether M or her sibling take to his way or my way, haha!!

November 27th, 2012, 04:53 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I was raised in a traditional home, and I would say that is how I parent for the most part. I was a lot more AP with Abri because she was such a high maintenance baby (bedshare, extended breastfeeding, baby wearing). I wing it really. I don't like spanking and try other consequences first and that usually works. I also think I just got lucky with good kids
November 27th, 2012, 06:43 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was raised in a typical Asian household...probably those who are Asian would get the meaning of this and those who don't lets just say youre lucky I am parenting the exact opposite of my parents and how I wish I was treated as a child. I cant imagine this not being better in the long run for my children considering the battle scars and emotional issues I had to work through to get to where I am.
November 27th, 2012, 06:58 PM
CartersMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was raised in a very traditional kind of ridged household. We were given strict rules, breaking them ment punishment. I once got a D on my report card (totally unacceptable) but I was not allowed to use the phone for the rest of the school year. My mom was very focused on her household chores and my dad was very focused on providing for the family. My parents did TONS for us let us participate in activities took us on day trips etc. But the fun was not without a firm talking to before on how we should act. My mom was a get up and shake it off kind of mom and she is very unemotional. Church was a you go every Sunday type of thing... not a this is our household constant type of thing

My DH and I just parent with our best instincts and do a lot of praying. We believe and trust in God and have a strong personal relationship with him. We use the bible as a base in our household. Our kids are not held to extreme standards but they are expected to mind their manners and obey. We are not rigid at all. I am very emotional and compassionate we do our best to listen to our kids. Spanking is not a go to punishment. I try to put myself in my childs shoes often some days I want extra cuddle time they might need that to some days I really and not hungry at meals times.... maybe they aren't either, some days tasks overwhelm me and some days they will overwhelm my kids. I try just to communicate and love on them being the best mamma I can.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search