Ultrasounds

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am changing doctors and my appointment with the new doctor is tomorrow. They said they may want me to have another ultrasound at their office. I had one done at 7 weeks and again at 7w5d. At first I was thrilled to be able to maybe see them again. I would love to know how they are doing. It would put me at great ease.

But...then I get to reading studies on the possiblity of too many ultrasounds, esp in the first trimester being harmful. There was a study done that found hearing loss increased with the number of ultrasounds done. It is apparently the same loudness to them as a subway train coming into the station is to us. Which is loud but not horrible. Also there were a few that cited issues with brain development such as autism, learning disablities, etc. I'm a sped teacher so I am undecided in that. What I see in my work is that a lot of it is genetics and environment but there are those cases that aren't accounted for. I do tend to see autism in more upper class families than lower. That was a point made that upper and middle class have more money to spend on elective ultrasounds or have better insurance that will cover more ultrasounds. So that does make some sense although my personal belief is still that autism has a genetic link or predisposition that is can be triggered rather than caused by.

Any thoughts on this? I'm tore being declincing another ultrasound tomorrow so that I can save that one I was planning on for an elective 3D one at 16 weeks but on the other hand I would LOVE to see them again before I go to the 3D place so I still know everything is going ok.
November 27th, 2012, 01:06 PM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I understand your concern and have thought about this too. My view is if it is dangerous, why would our doctors do multiple ultrasounds? I've had 2 and pretty sure I'll get another on friday.
November 27th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have looked into this. I worked in risk assessment (human health and eco) for my job prior to becoming a SAHM. So I used to research a wide range of "is X harmful, what is the risk of Y" type issues for my job. I tend to scan PubMed abstracts and ignore journalistic articles on these issues, since the latter are almost always sensationalist and alarmist. Scaring moms is a great way to get clicks...

Anyhoo. There is some evidence from mouse studies that EXCESSIVE (think constant high-level) sound waves from Doppler or ultrasound are harmful particularly in the embryonic phase. But there is no real evidence of any sort of harm from proper medical use of these technologies, and they have been in wide use for many years.

I personally feel that any doctor-ordered and medically conducted use of Doppler or u/s is very safe. They are used by properly trained personnel on properly calibrated equipment. But I do not agree with the use of home Dopplers or with the "fun" for-profit u/s places where you are not guaranteed medical tuned equipment and techs. I believe the technologies have to have a medical benefit in order to outweigh the potential risks, and that those risks are minimized when they are used minimally and in a doctor's office.

November 27th, 2012, 01:51 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I went into premature labor with my twins, I was having ultrasounds every 3 days for about 5 weeks. There may be a little risk, but that is only when they do them constantly. But when you are dealing with a multiple pregnancy... it really is IMPERATIVE that new doctors know what is going on and how things are progressing. I would absolutely do all the ultrasounds they request. Because they were monitoring me every week in the beginning, they found I was in labor and was able to save my daughter...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search