Anyone else.....

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2012, 09:29 PM
pregnant without a thyroid? I can't find much info on women living without a thryoid, especially being pregnant. I have no idea what to expect, what is normal pregnancy symptoms and what may be thyroid related or what may be exaggerated because of not having a thryoid.
November 29th, 2012, 04:43 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My sister was pregnant with her second child without a thyroid. You just need to have regular levels checked and watch out for the signs of both hypo and hyperthyroid. Which, since you've had yours taken out, you already know. I would say just keep a journal of your symptoms and see if some of them come and go. If they come and go, I'd assume it would be the pregnancy. If it's a constant symptom, then I'd ask the doctor about if it could be related to your thyroid. My sister's thyroid was NOT under control when she got pregnant, but she had a perfectly healthy pregnancy. Keep looking for information on the internet, there should be some great resources out there. I'm not sure any of this helped, but I hope you find some answers!

November 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I have no clue. But huge hugs I am sure your doctor will let you know if there is anything you need to do differently. I do know that my friend's doctor wants to remove hers but she isnt doing it yet because she is still nursing and it can effect milk supply. Good luck!

November 29th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Rochelle
This is my 4th pregnancy w/o a thyroid. They removed it at age 13. Usually, all that happens is my dosage ends up being increased with the synthyroid by a little bc baby steals some of the hormone. I just get my levels checked via bloodtest every so often and monitor things.

Try not to stress, there are much worse things to be afflicted with during pregnancy than this.

May I ask how recently you had yours removed? Was it from hyperthyroid?

I was diagnosed with Graves disease (hyperthyroid) at age 8. They got the darn thing regulated and then decided to remove it. It's really not a great option for people but it's easier on the doctors. It's made my metabolism slow as well as my dad and his sister who both got Graves disease and had the thyroid removed also except they were in their 30's. I always tell people it's best to regulate it, not remove it. But, that's my soapbox.

Anyways, you ever need to talk about it, I'm here. All my babies are healthy and there were no issues whatsoever.
November 30th, 2012, 08:25 PM
I had it removed a year ago last August. While I've been symptomatic since I was in high school, it went undetected by doctors. It wasn't until I was pregnant with my daughter that it tanked and I was put on meds during my pregnancy with her. After I delivered my blood work was supposedly normal but I found out several months later it was a false normal since my body was still getting readjusted to life after delivering.

Long story short, after months of testing and everything condtraditory for either Graves or Hoshimoto's a biopsy was done of a nodule and that came back inconclusive but highly suspicious for a rare and aggressive thyroid cancer. My thyroid was removed a 4 days after my daughter turned 1. They biopsied my entire thyroid and found it was completely shot and I had Hoshimoto Thyroiditis but not the disease as I didn't carry the antibodies. I did have a .1 cm of cancer but it wasn't the kind they thought it was or where it was.. thankfully.

I was doing fine on synthroid for about 6 months after the surgery but then started becoming symptomatic again. After months of going back to the doctor and tests coming back normal, DH and I finally convinced my doctor to put me on Cytomel (Active T3 hormone) to supplement. I felt so much better... then I started feeling tired again which is when I found out I was pregnant again... LOL! Oh the timing.

I went to my doctor today for the second follow up since starting the cytomel and it turns out my TSH went from .31 to over 15.... so my cytomel has been readjusted again... thankgoodness!!! I didn't think the level of fatigue I was feeling was normal, plus I have been super hungry on top of the 24/7 nausea, and my ability to focus has gone down the drain.

Ok, that wasn't so short but it was shortened... LOL! Sorry.
December 1st, 2012, 12:22 PM
Rochelle
((HUGE HUGS)) Oh boy, That's quite an ordeal. I can def see why removing it was the best option for you. I did have a very odd thing happen to me over the summer right before getting pg in September. Right before I was to leave for a looong car trip from FL to OK my ankles had swollen up. I thought it was from standing on my feet for too long getting packed and all but it kept getting worse over the course of the trip until finally on the way back home my ankles and feet had swollen so big that I went directly to the ER. They did all kinds of tests on me and finally concluded my thyroid levels were too high. I guess in a sense I was hyper thyroid though I have no thyroid. Somehow that caused my feet and ankles to go crazy. I could barely walk around my house for an entire month. Right before I found out I was pg, I got my levels checked. They came back that things were getting better but my TSH was still being blocked. It was only a .03 or something when it was supposed to be much higher. So for the first 6 weeks after finding out I am pg, I was so worried about my levels bc I'd never been pg with such a weird set of circumstances before. Well, thankfully at my last bloodtest, my levels were "perfect" PHEW! And baby measured a day ahead so he/she is thriving. I'm going to get mine checked again at the end of the month to make sure things are stil good. I'm on 175mcg levothyroid. I've never even heard of Cytomel. Good to know. I hope your levels stay normal the whole pregnancy and mine too!
December 2nd, 2012, 08:46 PM
That's crazy about the swelling. I swelled really bad when I was pregnant with DD and I had to keep my feel elevated for 3 days to let the swelling go down.... it was painful. I can't imagine being that swollen.

As far as the Cytomel goes, I hadn't heard of it either until DH found some studies about it online. All I knew was that I had high suspicions that my T3 hormone was the cause of my symptoms despite my test levels. I'm glad to have a husband who is as smart as mine who can also convince my doctors to try something new. I thought I was going crazy.

I was so tired... pysically and mentally to the point that I just didn't care anymore. I had no motivation, was depressed, along with the physical signs that something was just not right... despite my test levels. This last visit I was scared that my levels would be "normal" despite how I was feeling again and that the dr would blame it on my pregnancy. To my surprise, my test levels backed up my symptoms.

I'm glad you LO is doing great!! That can be scary when you know how much your thyroid plays a role in their development in the first trimester. I know the horomone being imbalanced can exaggerate symptoms and make it hard to distinguish between the two.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search