Fed up with my Dr!!!

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 3 Post By MamaSkunk
  • 1 Post By QueenCrafty
  • 1 Post By loveneverfails
  • 1 Post By Kyla0709
  • 1 Post By Farmers-wife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2012, 08:24 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I have petit mal seizures which basically are that i go on a mental vacation for 2 to 3 seconds. As a result of it I dont drive n never have. The only med for it is depakote...which is one thats being sued for causing birth defects and stillbirth. It also causes side effects like it eats all the enamel off your teeth, messes with your metabolism causing weight gain, increases odds of cancer by 60% and odds of heart problems by almost 75% Because of these side effects I havent taken meds for my seizures in 13 years. Ive found natural ways of coping with them instead...getting enough sleep and trying to reduce stress levels. My previous OB in Idaho knew of them and didnt push the issue. My new OB demanded that I make an appointment to see a neurologist. Then when i didnt they called me trying to make me set up an appt. I declined and told the nurse why I wouldnt do it. Now my OB is sending me letters and left a voicemail trying to force me to go see a neurologist. All they will do is push me into taking meds. And despite all the neuros ive seen in the 27 years ive had them...none have told me anything new since i was diagnosed. Mine were not genetic caused so i cant pass it to baby. Mine were trauma induced (my dad hit me upside the head when i was naughty not my butt)(never ever hit your child in the head....im living proof of the damage it can cause) I am real fed up with this pushy dr. I used to have hundreds a day. My own mom feels im ok and so does DH. Im thinking about seeing if medicaid covers midwifes. What do you all think i should do? N sorry for the long rant.

November 30th, 2012, 08:32 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd definitely recommend a midwife or a more understanding doctor. You shouldn't have to do anything you're not comfortable with, especially if it's not hurting the baby.

I'm on Medicaid and they cover midwives in my state. You might have to look around for a provider that accepts Medicaid, but here they even cover CPM's, they don't even have to be nurse-midwives.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

November 30th, 2012, 10:30 PM
I have one midwife near me that does at home water births...Perfect thats what Id love to do! I did check and seen that Minnesotas Medicaid does cover Midwifes as of 2010. So now Im just waiting to see if the one near me is for sure covered by medicaid. And to make sure shes taking new patients. So fingers crossed!! That way I will only have to deal with the hospital here in an emergency. Whew! Man I am excited!

December 1st, 2012, 04:50 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Good luck!! Seeing a midwife was a nice change for me. They have fewer patients so they will spend more time with you during appointments as well as during labor.
MamaSkunk likes this.
December 1st, 2012, 04:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If it has been 13 years since you've taken medication or seen that particular kind of doctor, perhaps it wouldn't be bad to get a check up and see if they have come out with any new treatments?

December 1st, 2012, 05:08 AM
CartersMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone!! It might not be a bad idea to see a dr. just to get checked that of course does not mean you have to take the meds heaven knows I would not if I was in your situation. I also think finding a new dr either midwife or just a more understanding dr is called for. No one should push you to do anything you are not comfortable with.
December 1st, 2012, 05:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It sounds like to know your own body and have done your research. I have anxiety and I don't take meds for it. I could tell the first OB I had wasn't thrilled with that but the bottom line is that I tried meds and for me it made other things worse and there wasn't any benefit to me. I have learned to deal with it and find my own way of coping. If you aren't comfortable you should try and find someone you are comfortable with.
MamaSkunk likes this.
December 1st, 2012, 06:20 AM
Super Mommy
Docs are all about pushing the meds. I have generalized anxiety disorder and every doctor I see tells me I should take Zoloft, or some other daily medication for it. I always turn them down because I've found ways to cope with it naturally. I just think that they don't know us like we know us, always listen to your instincts.
MamaSkunk likes this.
December 1st, 2012, 10:51 AM
Well Medicaid apparently only covers midwifes in a birth center setting not at home. Total bummer. The nearest birth centers are about 2 hour drive from me. So now I have to debate.....deal with the doctor and hospital I dont like just because its the only thing nearby. Or....drive 2 hours to a birth center where they do have tubs also for the water birth Ive been wanting. DH says hed drive there no problem. But thats a heck of a drive. And then appointments etc. Yikes. Im so torn. I also didnt have a quick labor with DD....so Im anticipating probably a 12 hour labor....as DD was 24 hours. :/

December 1st, 2012, 11:18 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your Dr is concerned for your baby's safety. If you haven't seen a neurologist in over a decade, you should see one. Advances have been made in the area of treatment and there are concerns about seizures and pregnancy. Even though your only outward effect is "staring" much more happens inside your brain. You are also at higher risks for falls - especially as your center of gravity gets thrown off.
December 2nd, 2012, 10:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree about at least making the appointment. Over 13 years I would want confirmation that no further damage has been done and that what I am doing is adequate. We have a child at my school who has petite mal seizures and she is on more homeopathic treatments than not.

It may also be worth talking to this neuro doctor about what you can do to help cope with a newborn while abstaining from medication. A newborn is a LOT of stress and a lot of missed sleep. I'm sure you've guys have already looked at house design to minimize the use of stairs and such but there may be other things the doctor would bring to your attention that they say many new moms with seizures learn to handle.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

December 2nd, 2012, 10:20 AM
I have dealt with my DD while being med free. Im a BTDT mom. I had a 24 hour labor with her and had no problems. My seizures cannot get worse as they were caused by me being hit on the head. Petit Mal Seizures are often outgrown. Which in my case I havent completely gotten rid of them however they are non existent for the most part. Also I cannot afford a neurologist and all the tests they will want to do. I know my body. And I know Im fine. My parents and closest friends and family who seen me then as a child...and now. All agree that they see me having seizures hardly ever.
Also even if they did have a new type of med for my seizures I wouldnt take it. I take no medicines while pregnant. Not even tylenol. Not even the ok list to take while pregnant. It is my personal belief that while I am growing another person inside me that I would rather not chance taking some med just cuz they assume it may be safe. Im already in the process of switching to a midwife anyway so what that doctor wanted is besides the point. Thanks for your opinions.

December 2nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also had seizures from a head injury! My fault though, not someone else's. anyway, totally agree with you. You know what you are doing.
MamaSkunk likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search