Birthing classes?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jhmomofmany

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2012, 01:21 PM
Since this is my first baby, I don´t have any experiences with birthing classes. Have you been to one, is it worth it?

Lg
Karin
December 2nd, 2012, 01:31 PM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
I took one (it was only a one time thing at the hospital where I was going to deliver) with my first. It was very informative for me as a first time mom. What I liked about ours was that it was one on one with the instructor (who had been my babysitter when I was little! It's a small community ) This was a free service from the hospital and we got lots of magazine and other free samples, and got to tour the hospital. I live in a very rural area, though, so my experience is probably way different than most.
December 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so glad you asked this question. I've been meaning to ask exactly this!

December 2nd, 2012, 01:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ive been to two. The first one was a few classes spread out over my 7th month. They went over different positions best to give birth in...depending upon where you labor pains are, all kinds of stuff!!

The second class was a 45 minute video (different hostipal 6 years later) and it was so old they were still performing Csection with vertical incisions! It was useless. I suggest you do some research on what kind of classes they are.

December 2nd, 2012, 02:53 PM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
Is it worth it? The answer to your question really depends on where the class is offered and what you hope to get out of it. If you plan to have a more-or-less medicated delivery (or c-section) in the hospital, then whatever class or tour they give there will suit your needs just fine. If you want to plan for a more natural birth, then I would suggest researching for yourself (you have plenty of time) what technique or philosophy you are interested in using (if any) and doing some searching online for local resources and classes.
bribugg13 likes this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

December 2nd, 2012, 03:23 PM
edgeofelise's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I spent $180 for classes the first time and because I was such a birth junkie and had read so much on my own, the classes were completely useless. We didn't cover a single thing I hadn't already read about. As for the pain management techniques, I felt a lot of pressure to remember everything we'd practiced in class, but when I was actually in labor I totally found my own groove and did my own thing. Definitely do your research before signing up for a paid class. This time around my midwife recommended a VBAC class and I'm hesitant because it's $120, but I really want to feel like I'm doing everything I can to have a natural birth so I'm going to do it.

Eliza Rose, born 6/9/10
...and getting a little brother for her birthday! Baby Henry Wilder, due 6/7/13

December 2nd, 2012, 03:48 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I never have. I did a self hypnosis study my 3rd time around, but my labor was so fast I didn't get to use it. But it helped me remain positive during my pregnancy and I got a great nights sleep!

December 2nd, 2012, 04:27 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did a weekend day long class last time. It was okay, a good experience and I did learn a few things that were new, but I had read about most of it.

This time, I got a pamphlet about a hypnobabies class and it sounded interesting but it is a paid class. I want to go natural and I did last time but I thought I should prepare more.

December 2nd, 2012, 07:37 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did Lamazee through the hospital but I admit I dont think it really did much but it was still nice to have that time and experience with my husband
December 2nd, 2012, 07:58 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I attended one with my first pregnancy. It was a lot of breathing techniques and birthing basics. I've attended several of my mom's births over the years so most of it wasn't anything I didn't already know. However, I was able to utilize the breathing techniques to a certain extent because I had a faulty epidural and could feel everything. Like a previous poster said, I also kinda found my own groove and way of managing my pain when I was actually in labor.

December 3rd, 2012, 07:09 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't take any with my first pregnancy and I probably won't take any this time around either. Although I'm planning on a different approach this time (natural vs medicated) and my hospital DOES offer classes that cover both options, I would rather do my own research.

#1, 4, 5, 7
December 3rd, 2012, 09:08 AM
Thanks ladies , there is one at the local hospital which is about 110 Euros for 7 lessons (each 1,5h) the other one is at a private hospital 230 euros for 3 lessons, if you deliver there you get 100 euros back. I want a natural birth although if the pain gets to heavy I will probably ask for an epi .
December 3rd, 2012, 12:17 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The free ones from the hospital are totally worth it because you learn a lot about how the hospital and personnel operate and it will make it feel more familiar at birth time. I personally am a super nerdy over-researcher so i never learned anything new from any hospital class, but I went to them anyway and met the nurses who ran it and all that, and was glad I went.

Oh I did take an infant CPR class that taught me a LOT so that was good, I really recommend learning that stuff just so you feel prepared.

December 3rd, 2012, 03:02 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not sure how they are set up in Europe. We attended one given by a doula at our hospital. It was very helpful because it went over hospital family policies, toured the birthing wing and generally gave us an idea what to expect when we got to the hospital. She also went over birthing options, medicated vs. nonmedicated etc.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search