Birthing Methods?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2012, 05:29 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
To those who have been through this before: did you use a particular birthing method? How did it work for you? Are you planning on using the same or a different approach this time?

First time moms: have you done any research yet? Are you leaning toward a particular plan?

December 2nd, 2012, 07:06 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DD i had her in a hospital all natural no pain meds. I was very ok doing that and plan to have this baby naturally again. However I will be doing a midwife assisted at home water birth with this baby.

December 2nd, 2012, 07:10 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I'm planning for my 3rd natural birth, 2nd homebirth. I pla. To just follow the cues of my body.

December 2nd, 2012, 07:12 PM
Veteran
yes, induction I hope to use a different method this time. Like immaculate delivery. If that doesn't work, i'll settle for dilating and going into labor naturally.
CartersMommy likes this.

December 2nd, 2012, 07:28 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I'm planning on my second natural, med-free hospital birth. Recovery was a breeze last time so I am hoping for a similar experience.
December 2nd, 2012, 07:58 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm a first timer, but I've always wanted to try for an all natural, med free birth. I'll be at the hospital even though I think a home birth would be amazing. Given all of the complications that the women in my family have had, I wouldn't feel completely comfortable not being in the hospital. Hoping that some birthing classes and more research makes it a little easier in the end.

December 2nd, 2012, 08:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
For my first son, I got an epidural when I couldn't take the contractions anymore and when I started pushing, it took probably 5 minutes to get him out.

My second son was in distress and so thery did an emergency C-section with another epidural and because I was so freaked out, as soon as they removed him, they gave me some kind of sedating medication that calmed me down but didn't put me to sleep.

I don't know what I am going to do with this baby yet. I'll probably get an epi again because it seemed to work out so well and my children have no adverse effects from it. These other women are brave and heroes but personally, I don't see the point to being in more pain than I need to be.

I also give birth at the hospital. Should something go wrong (knock on wood)...we are in the best place for help already. That gives me peace of mind. Especially after the complications with my youngest son and when my oldest was born, he couldn't figure out how to breath on his own...he was a blue color and they gave him all this oxygen and knew right away what to do and before long he was hollering all angry like.

December 2nd, 2012, 08:21 PM
My midwives carry o2 and other methods with them. The only thing my midwife could not do at home is give me an epi or a section. My youngest had a little trouble with his transition into the world my midwifes were amazing and he was fine after a little o2. We would transfer of we saw the need to. I see the pain as a pain with a purpose. I found a huge difference in my ncb and my epi birth. But I am for informed decisions no matter your birth choices. But I did feel I needed to clear up some homebirth misconceptions.

December 2nd, 2012, 08:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wasn't putting down homebirth, I was just saying that is gives ME peace of mind to know that IF something goes horribly wrong, we are already at the hospital.

Women have been birthing babies at home since caveman days, and producing healthy happy babies and do perfectly fine. I think its nice that you are in the comfort of your own home...that was something I hated about the hospital, I just wanted my own bed.

But I, me, personally, like the security I feel knowing I am in a hospital already that is fully equipped to handle any scary thing that MIGHT happen.

December 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a hospital natural birth with a doula. I would like the same but my doula, whom I loved and am friends with, her younger daughter is battling leukemia and I dont think I can ask her to spend time away from her daughter when she needs her mom more than I need her so I think I can do it alone this time with just my DH hopefully
December 2nd, 2012, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaze View Post
I wasn't putting down homebirth, I was just saying that is gives ME peace of mind to know that IF something goes horribly wrong, we are already at the hospital.

Women have been birthing babies at home since caveman days, and producing healthy happy babies and do perfectly fine. I think its nice that you are in the comfort of your own home...that was something I hated about the hospital, I just wanted my own bed.

But I, me, personally, like the security I feel knowing I am in a hospital already that is fully equipped to handle any scary thing that MIGHT happen.
I never said you did, some people truly don't know. My mom for instance didnt and it took tons of explaining.

December 2nd, 2012, 09:23 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have had two horrible failed epidurals so I will having a natural, med-free hospital birth this time.

December 2nd, 2012, 09:30 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Navywife I must say you are truly an inspiration for me. Ive felt so much peace of mind to be doing a homebirth with this baby. Obviously a bit nervous as it will be a new experience for me. But having you as encouragement and support is a godsend. The midwife i chose is a CPM. And I have two Labor and Delivery RNs at my beck and call so I feel I will be fine And if something happens...god forbid. My nearby hospital is a five minute drive.
edgeofelise likes this.

December 2nd, 2012, 10:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a first timer, and I'm aiming for a natural med-free birth in a hospital. I would love to do a home birth, but my DH and mom are strongly encouraging being in a hospital just in case, so I'll concede. I have a history degree and I focused on the 19th century, so I keep saying things like "Women did this all the time, and they were fine." DH (another history degree holder) keeps pointing out that lots of women died then too, so I guess we'll all feel better in a hospital.

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy
December 2nd, 2012, 11:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have no clue this time around. With DD I had nubian pain meds Epidurals freak me out. DH wants me to have one bc he thinks it will be easier I do not agree. I have access to a doula I trust and may look into having her with me because I like to say I would love to have a med free birth but I am chicken so time shall tell. I like hearing how other women plan on delivering I think it is really cool that a good portion of ladies here do things that I could never imagine doing because of fear.

P.s you ladies rock!

December 3rd, 2012, 08:23 AM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
Had natural, pain free birth in a hospital with dd. We are shooting for a home birth this time. I also listened to music with dd. DH likes Mozart and Borodin and the music was very soothing
December 3rd, 2012, 09:04 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
All but one of my births have been pain-med free and the last three were born unassisted at home. I have never used any of the "methods" although I've read a lot about them. In my experience every labor/birth is different, you can't know what you will feel and experience ahead of time, even when it is not your first. I think it has been helpful for me to not be locked in to a certain method which may or may not work. And then, if your chosen method isn't right at the time, what can you do? So I really feel it has been best FOR ME to just be aware of different techniques but not have my heart set on using one particular type of birth or coping technique. Staying in the moment, accepting the work my body must do, and understanding the purpose behind the "pain"... these are how I cope.
navywifey2003 and edgeofelise like this.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

December 3rd, 2012, 09:10 AM
wanttobeinvienna's Avatar Veteran
I am anxiously awaiting the stork to arrive at my doorstep on or around May 29th...

Wouldn't it be great if it worked that way?! I know- the birthing process is beautiful, and it is, and I feel very grateful to go through it... but da*n it HURTS!

I plan on getting my epidural in the next week or so just to make sure there are no complications when the baby does come and there is no risk of pain OK, kidding, but I am a fan of the epidural and have had beautiful luck with it. With my daughter, it didn't fully take, and I could feel everything in my right side... the overwhelming PAIN of just feeling HALF of the labor (and I have a HIGH threshold for pain) reinforced that the more management I can have for the pain the better
I admire and place everyone on a pedestal that goes natural! Kuddos and hats off to all of you!

December 3rd, 2012, 09:12 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was induced with dd with an epi and my plan is to completely avoid that this time. No induction (as long as I don't go past 41 weeks) and definitely no epi.. My epi made me throw up the entire 5 or 6 hours I had it and I would much rather deal with the pain (mind over matter) than throw up. It was so bad, when they brought me apple juice after delivery, I took one sip and threw that up too, so they gave me a shot of phenergan and I passed out for 3 hours... Also, it will be a hospital birth, just for my peace of mind.

#1, 4, 5, 7
December 3rd, 2012, 01:12 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I was trying for a NCB in a non NCB friendly hospital, with limited hopes. It didn't work but not because I couldn't handle the sensations of my natural labor, it was because my labor STOPPED as soon as I got to the hospital. I clicked out of my weird altered state I had been laboring in before, became all alert and normal feeling, and the contractions just stopped. For hours. Then came the pitocin, then the epidural and I couldn't feel anything. I believe maintaining my relaxation and altered state will be important so for this one I am planning to do Hypnobabies and have a hypno-doula to keep me in the right head space. I have done hypnosis before and am very suggestible. Also I have a NCB hospital and health practice now so I have high hopes that I will get my NCB this time excited for hypnobabies too, I think it will be nice for late pregnancy relaxation too!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search