Breast pumps...any recommendations?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kyla0709

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Veteran
I thought that I would ask everyone's opinions and reviews on breast pumps on here before I wander over to the breastfeeding board...I know for a fact that this is an investment that I want to make, I just can't decide between the Medela (either PIS or Freestyle...I know there's not much variation between the two..) or the Ameda Purely Yours pump. At one time I had the Simplesse double electric pump, and the Tommee Tippee on the list too, I just don't know anyone who can tell me anything about these last two...and it seems overall Medela/Ameda is the better route to take. I just don't know though...

So has anyone here used anyone one of the brands I've mentioned? What did you love and hate about the item? Has it lasted you for more than one child (or do you think it will?) Would you buy it again? Is there anything else you could tell me about the item?

Thanks ladies!

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 5th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Regular
I used the Medela with my son, not the hand pump action one, the electric one, but that's the only one so I can't really compare. I really liked it, though.

December 5th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had the Medela Freestyle with DD and LOVED it! I never had any problems with it, it was comfortable (if you can call a breast pump comfortable lol) , easy to use and clean. Never had a single issues with it and I used it everyday for 18 months. Alot of cash, but worth every penny in my opinion if your planning on BF.
December 5th, 2012, 12:11 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used the medela pis with my son and the ameda (hospital rental). The ameda lost suction I felt and needed new replacement "suction cups" inside way before my rental period was over so I had to shell out another 50 dollars for new tubing and "suction cups" for lack of a better word. It is what they insert into the top to create the suction.

My medela was amazing. I pumped excluisvely so I was hooked up to that thing about 7 times a day and never had any issue for the first 8 months. After that my motor died but medela sent me a brand new one no questions asked! It was out within 24 hours. Luckily I had a back up already because I was basically a milking cow and kept one at work. LOL

I can't say enough about medela and their products. It was a great 16 months of pumping thanks to them.

December 6th, 2012, 07:14 AM
8miraclez's Avatar Formerly Halfbaked
I've used about everything. I currently own a medela freestyle and love it. It's the first pump I've been able to fit in my purse and I used it exclusively the whole time my dd was in the nicu, then after she came home until she was about a year old. I'm going to use it again with this one.

To read updates about our baby born with major birth defects, like our Facebook page
December 6th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
The only pump that ever worked for me was the medela swing. Not sure how often you plan on pumping but if it will be very regularly that wouldn't be a great choice since you can't double pump but i've heard great things about the freestyle

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
December 6th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Super Mommy
I had a plain old Medela Harmony manual. It lasted through both my kids, but the handle was starting to go out by the end. Still, not a bad buy for $30. I was a SAHM and nursed exclusively and only really needed the pump when we were leaving the baby with my MIL for a night out or when I felt like having a few drinks. Medela is an excellent brand, I would recommend it a million times over.
rcjh12 likes this.
December 6th, 2012, 09:47 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I've only used the Medela single electric pump (is that the swing?) and I didn't use it very often. However, it was great when I did use it! I would definitely recommend the Medela brand and definitely recommend a double pump if you plan on mostly/exclusively pumping!

December 6th, 2012, 11:04 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
I absolutely LOVED my Medela harmony pump. I exclusively pumped with my youngest (latch issues) and it is the only thing that kept my supply up. Once it died and I had to get something different, I didn't last much longer after that =(

My insurance will cover (as of next March) a manual pump. I plan to get another Harmony through that, but I also plan to get a good electric as well. Even though I SAH and plan to breastfeed exclusively. I haven't done a TON of research yet, but so far I am leaning to the Medela electric as well.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search