Had my appointment today

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2012, 11:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So I'm sitting there, in my lovely gown, with the OB the headmistress of midwives and I asked about having an NT scan and they both looked at me like I asked them to tell me if the baby was the devil. I was informed that their office doesn't bother looking for testing for Downs Syndrome since it is illegal in the state of WV to abort downsbabies. They said it much more political than that, but you get the point.

First off, i don't know what one has to do with the other. Secondly, I can throw a rock in one of 3 directions and hit MD, VA, or PA. So maybe I'll go see a doc in one of those states.

They seemed rather holy roller to me as they explained that if I wanted those kinds of tests, they would refer me to a different doctor.

So then they hand me a sheet to go get bloodwork done, and I look at it and Im being tested for HIV and Herpes and Chlamydia and all kinds of goodies. So I had to take that and my urine sample across the street to the "lab" they use.

More like a hole in the wall.

This lab's waiting room is so packed...i don't know if i could open the door all the way. Then I walk up to the window, and two young girls are being the counter with giant gold hoop earings and one had a bad perm and the other a bad dye job and they IGNORED me....

.........ok....I guess Ill just stand here and dangle my urine for all and sundry to see.

One of the "nurses" i guess, opened the door to call someone back and "politely" told me the receptionists seem busy (chatting with each other) and to take a seat (where?).

So a small boy, the poor kid, was sitting there miserable covered head to toe in a rash, he was breaking out in something, vacated a chair and yeah............i sat in it.

God I hope he wasn't contagious.

Some poor 6 year girl with a runny nose had the nerve to knock the glass to the receptionist and inform her her tissue box was empty and could she please have a tissue, and the b!tch acted like it some major problem for her

"I guess Ill go look in the back..."

At this point, I stood up, grabbed my urine and marched out to use the lab at the hospital.

*sighs* I think i need a new doc.

December 5th, 2012, 11:42 AM
bobbiejo1982's Avatar Super Mommy
WOW! I would say.That doesn't like a good environment at all. Good luck, hope you find something suitable for you.
December 5th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know what else to say but...Wow. I would be looking for a new Dr asap! That is horrible. Sorry it wasn't the great appt. you were hoping for.
December 5th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
He did a breast exam, it was like he just pushed up and down and each boob 3x...rather pointless.

December 5th, 2012, 12:18 PM
I hope you find a place that works better for you! Good luck.
December 5th, 2012, 12:28 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So sorry.. hope you find somewhere you are more comfortable.

December 5th, 2012, 01:26 PM
terese81's Avatar Veteran
Wow, that seems like a disaster. I would find a different doctor. On the bright side, your story telling is priceless.
sunnydaze likes this.

December 5th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would definitely be finding another Dr!

December 5th, 2012, 01:48 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
New doctor time!! Your the one essentially paying their salarys so they should work for you! And yuck at that lab...so gross!
sunnydaze likes this.

December 5th, 2012, 02:36 PM
mommyandwife08's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! Yea, it sounds like it might be time for a new doctor.
DS #1 07/08
Miscarriage 01/28/09
DS #2 9/10
chemical pregnancy 06/12
DD #1 06/13

"I am the Lord, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for Me?" ~Jeremiah 32:27~
December 5th, 2012, 03:36 PM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
***? Someone from the office should have walked their happy *** to the lab to get your urine tested..... Who sends a pregnant lady into a haven of germs?

December 5th, 2012, 04:23 PM
Veteran
I'm confused about the NT test... Not everyone would choose abortion for a downs child, you can use the test to be prepared in the case the baby does have downs. Seems like a lame excuse to not run the test to me.

We chose not to do the NT or blood tests as we will carry to term no matter what and I'm depending on the 20 week u/s to tell us if the baby has any indicators for special needs such as downs, spina bifida, heart defects,etc. then go from there as far as research and such. At the end of the day it's your baby and everyone should do what they feel is the best move from conception till you die when you have a child, so in my opinion not the doctors decision. Okay rant over, sorry!!

December 5th, 2012, 04:58 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Switch doctors immediately! That is uncalled for! Are they affiliated with a religious hospital?

December 5th, 2012, 06:08 PM
enchantingdragon's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would have left half way through this and politely left my urine cup right their desk on my way out.

A NT scan wouldnt change how I feel about my baby but I dont think thats their right to dictate to me either about my choices. Id travel to another state if I were you
December 5th, 2012, 06:10 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry you had such a miserable experience.

The NT scan also checks for trisomy 13, 18 (both incompatible with life outside the womb) turner syndrome and one other in addition to trisomy 21 (downs). If you would like the screening, then you should find a new Dr. Of course, you are probably already on the hunt for a new Dr.

Kat
December 5th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
Switch doctors immediately! That is uncalled for! Are they affiliated with a religious hospital?
No they are only affiliated with the city hospital here, but WV is a pretty religious and very red state. They also informed me I have to have a C-section since I've already had one, and that they will schedule it for a week before I am due.

I thought having a VBAC was routine these days? It was no biggie? I guess I was wrong.

I am just waiting on my medical card to get here in the mail and then I'm going to explore other options.

December 6th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Nattie84
I have NEVER been offered any type of fetal testing other than the standard, I was hardly aware that they even do that sort of testing. I dont know if thats because of my age or because previously I had Medicaid. I have been the the dr twice this time (I have blue cross now) and still it was never metioned. I am not interested in the test, but I think its strange that its has never been brought up.....there are a few other tests you all have talked about that have never been offered to me either....strange.
December 6th, 2012, 03:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Omg you totally need a new health care practice!!! What a nightmare.

Different areas have different protocols on prenatal testing. I was never offered it in Mississippi, when I asked my OB he just said, well if you really want it I guess we can, but you have no risk factors so why bother? Now, in California, they really offered it with huge booklets of info at my first appt, since apparently there is a statewide policy that the full battery of prenatal tests be offered to ALL pregnant women no matter what. Weird.

I am opting out of the NT scan and related testing myself, but just because I don't like the false positive and false negative statistics. If a more accurate test was offered I would do it.

I totally agree that going through the early testing in NO WAY automatically means you would abort a baby with abnormalities. That is absolutely ridiculous. The sooner you know, the more time you have to learn about the diagnosis and adjust your expectations and educate and prepare yourself. Sheesh.

December 6th, 2012, 04:36 PM
lalap's Avatar Super Mommy
New doc. For sure.
December 6th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Whooaaaaaa no!!! I'd be getting a new DR, too. Yikes.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search