Live near your parents?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2012, 10:37 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Do you live closer to your parents or DH/SO's?

I was talking to my Mom this past weekend about having another boy or a girl, and she says that "boys move away" but "girls stay close to home"....well, at the moment that is true for me and DH. We live 10 min across town from my parents, my brother lives in NY....DH's parents are in FL, and his sister lives near them, as well.

I did move away from home (from NC to St. Louis) for about a year when I was in my twenties, but it sucked and I moved back home! LOL However, DH is currently job hunting and there is a good possibility that we will end up moving to FL, same town as his parents (my Mom would follow us if we do that, and that's a whole other post/topic! )

So I'm curious, who lives near their parents? Are you close with your parents? What about DH and his parents?

December 6th, 2012, 10:40 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
We live right now 4 1/2 hours from my parents. I moved away at 21 when I got married to WA. Which is 18 hours away. We then moved to San Diego which was 2 hours from my parents and now here is 4 1/2 hours away. We are looking at new duty stations for 2015 and right now we have a list of where we would go. 1. San Diego 2. Hawaii 3. Florida 4. Virginia 5. WA (but that is like over my dead body)
briellelynette likes this.

December 6th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
VERY close to my parents, and they live just a few minutes away. DH's parents live here, too. He's close with him, maybe not as close as I am to mine though.

We have moved several times away from them (for school, jobs, etc) but we ended up right back here.
December 6th, 2012, 10:44 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
VERY close to mine, not far enough from his (just sayin...)
December 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM
briellelynette's Avatar Veteran
Not very close to mine anymore, they were about 3 hours away when we lived in TX but now we are stationed in Northern VA. I joined the Army when I was 18, left 3 days after graduation and have been moving around ever since. Lived in Anchorage, AK for 4 year but that is where I got married and had my twins. Once my hubby retires then we'll be moving back to the Dallas area for good but for right now we're enjoying the traveling.

December 6th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
At the moment we live 10 minutes from my mom, 30 mins away from my dad and an hour away from DH's mom and 3 hours away from DH's dad. We see my mom all the time, my dad every two weeks, his mom once a month, his dad....once every 5-6 months. I've moved away from my parents multiple times (furthest was about 2 hours away) but I always end up in back in the same city. I think thats more because I like it here and not because I want to be near them haha

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
December 6th, 2012, 11:22 AM
Regular
My parents live about 20 minutes away, and I work at the same place as my mom (different buildings), and my in laws live about a 1/4 mile up the road from us. We see them both very often and we're very close with out parents.

December 6th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We live 5 mins from my parents and are close with them. DH's mom lives 20mins and DH's dad and sister are both about 30 mins. DH is very close with his family, but I could do with a little more distance between us and his family.
December 6th, 2012, 01:14 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH parents and my parents live about 4 blocks apart from each other about 5 minutes from us. No one really leaves the area here. LOL

Our grandfathers even worked together. DH's dad and my mom went to the same catholic school.

However my parents met in college and my father moved to my moms hometown after they got married - so it's true for him. His family lives about 6 hours away in western pa.

December 6th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Super Mommy
My dad moved back here to MN when I was 18 (moved to CO when I was 14, born here in MN) we tried moving back with him a few months later, but neither of us could find jobs and DH had a job back in CO (we were expecting our first). So we moved back to CO. DH's parents lived there, probably about 15 minutes away. They moved away to WI when our DS2 was about a year old. We stayed in CO until about a year and a half ago when my dad's cancer became terminal we moved here to MN to be closer to him, his house is about 10 minutes from mine and we saw him at least once a week until he passed away. My mom lived close in St. Paul, but was homeless a lot and I never saw her due to her problems with alcohol. DH's parents still live about 4 or 5 hours away in Appleton, WI. We are loosely planning to move there when DH finishes school. Now that both of my parents are gone and my little brother is being stationed in San Antonio, we'd like to be close to family again. We still are, my entire side of family lives here, but I miss my MIL and step FIL and little SILs and BIL. Boys miss their grandma and she misses them. It's a big decision that I'm not totally decided on yet, we will see!
December 6th, 2012, 01:44 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom lives about 5 minutes away from us. My dad lives in Oklahoma (where I grew up) about 6 hours away. DF's mom is deceased and he never knew his dad when his mom was alive, she lived in the same town as us. So not true for him, only half true for me depending on which parents house I consider "home".

December 6th, 2012, 01:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Right now we live near NO parents or family whatsoever. I moved from California to Iowa for college, and ended up staying after I married DH. We lived pretty close to his parents and saw them every Sunday. I used to work down the street from his parents for a while, and I would go hang out with my MIL on my lunch break. Right now we're looking at moving back, hopefully to Iowa, or at least to like Colorado so we would be CLOSER to our parents. I'm VERY close with my parents (I talk to my mom every night), but there's no way as a single income home with the income being a teacher, we would be able to move back to Cali right now.

Thank you Vicki.. for the beautiful siggy
December 6th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We live close to DH's mom, about 20 minutes away. We're 500 miles from my family. I moved away for college and met DH and decided to stay.
December 6th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have lived away from my parents since I was 16. However, last year, my mother was going through a divorce and moved into a townhouse 7 doors down from ours for the emotional support.

My dad lives near NYC in Jersey.

DH's parents are about 30 minutes away (not far enough)

December 6th, 2012, 03:00 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents are 20 minutes away and DH's parents are about 30 minutes.

December 6th, 2012, 03:07 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For about 10 years I lived in Idaho which was a 27 hour drive from MN where Im from. I was very happy out there and completely loved it. All my family was in Mn tho. My DH couldnt find a job so we moved back to Mn when my dad said he would help us til we got on our feet and he would buy us a house. So that was a huge incentive. So now we live a town away from my dad but its only a 15 minute drive. My mom is an hour drive away from us. Lol the only two I wanted to be near again was my brothers....my parents are great...in small doses. They have been divorced for years and they make holidays difficult...they fight and argue all the time over me. And both complain about one another to me when they see me. So of course...id rather be farther from my parents and see them once a year. But i do get to see my bros who i love to death and missed. So it pays off.

December 6th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We used to be a 6-hr car ride from DH's people and my parents were halfway across the country with no direct flights. Now DH's people are a 4-hr direct flight away, and my parents are about 6 blocks away I am happy to live in my hometown again.

December 6th, 2012, 04:19 PM
Rochelle
True for us.. 35 mins from my parents and 24 hrs from his which is just where they should be..
December 6th, 2012, 06:41 PM
Veteran
hahaha...we're military, so we move all the time.
Currently, both my parents and DH's mom live in texas, about 2 hours apart.
We're in Virginia. My sister is still in TX, about 45 min from my parents, but she doesn't talk to the family. My younger brother is in college about 4 hours away, and my older brother and his wife are in CA. So, none of us live really near them. It's kind of sad. Eventually, I'd like to be close again, but I'm not done seeing the world.

December 6th, 2012, 11:10 PM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My Mom (and my two oldest sisters & 1 younger brother) all live about 3 hours away from us. The rest of my family (excluding one brother in L.A.) are about 14 hours away. Most of my husband's family, including his parents, live about 7 hours away with the rest of his family being 10. We may end up moving closer to his family at some point, because I would like to be close to someone's family and I actually like his better than mine. My mom says we aren't allowed to move for a year bc she wants to be close to the baby (well you know, closer than if we moved away), but we will see. We may end up staying right where we are and hope some family moves to us! Ha.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search