Doppler problems :( UPDATE :)

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By phantomsgrl11
  • 4 Post By eshute

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2012, 09:28 AM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, I broke down and bought a "pocket doppler". Tried it for the first time today without any luck. I'm 15 weeks so it really shouldn't be that difficult, right? We found my heartbeat, but not baby's. Any suggestions or advise on using it? I know I shouldn't have bought one because I'm such a worrier, but I couldn't help myself.

Last edited by eshute; December 11th, 2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Update
December 10th, 2012, 10:14 AM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lay on a flat surface - not a bed as I find its too soft sometimes and makes it harder to find. I'm a big girl so it helps if I sort of lift my pelvis up a bit when DH is looking. What I look for first is I find both of my veins which are normally right about your hip bones which gives my heartbeat sound. Then I go slowly towards my belly button (but lower at this point I am about 1-2 inches above pelvic bone when I find the baby now) and I listen for a wooshing airy sound if that makes sense? That's the placenta and I know near there I will hear the hoof beats of the babys heartbeat soon around there. That is the only way I can find it by mapping out those other points first. Luckily I can normally find it as soon as I find the placenta. My placenta sounds like....I don't even know an airplane taking off. It's like really windy sounding. Doc and I were laughing about it today while looking for the babys hb.
eshute likes this.

December 10th, 2012, 10:40 AM
MissyBee's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have found that I can usually hear my baby on the left side. I have an anterior placenta, which makes it harder to hear, so I can only hear it when baby is facing a certain way or is laying a certain way or something (I'm not sure which). But it helps me if I prop my left leg up. I guess it maybe pushes it up a little higher so I can hear it better or something. But if I put my leg back down it goes away. I guess bc baby is so low & close to my pubic bone right now? Sometimes it takes me a long time to find it & sometimes I can't at all. But I have to move it very slowly and listen very carefully or I will miss it. Good luck, you'll find it... Just keep trying!
December 10th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Hopeful2BMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Once you know where to check, it is really easy. I have the sonoline b and once I found it the first time, I always find it in the same place just angle the probe around. For me, it's about an inch above my hair line slightly left of center. Let us know when you find it! There's also an artery that you'll find in either side and it registers around 120.
December 10th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Veteran
phantomsgirl gave really good advice. Mine likes to hide behind my wooshing sound, so sometimes it's hard to decipher.

December 10th, 2012, 11:19 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
My doctor actually had a hard time finding baby today at my appointment. Apparently my bubs is hiding up higher than expected. At home I usually start just below my belly button, about where I can feel the top of my uterus, and just angle it around from there. Sometimes it does take a while, and I can tell I'm getting too far to the side when I hit my artery.
December 10th, 2012, 11:54 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
I had a hard time finding mine a couple of weeks ago as well. I was concentrating on the left side, I think because that's where a lot of the ladies here found theirs lol but then 2 days later my midwife found it on the right side! I haven't tried again myself yet, but plan on doing it this week!

December 10th, 2012, 06:09 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
I second laying on a flat surface. Also be sure to be liberal with the gel (aloe vera gel works too) or you won't get anything. Go slow, and try stopping every few seconds and just angling the probe around in small circles. Take your time - it took me about 20 minutes the first time to find the HB. Good luck!

December 11th, 2012, 02:59 AM
Thank you all for the great advice! I was laying in bed so I will try the flat surface for sure and everything else you all mentioned! Thanks again ladies. You always come through!

December 11th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Took your ladies' advice and laid on the floor, used plenty of gel and started off with the arteries. Well, only one. We started on the left and moved towards the center, took less than 5 minutes to find! Heard mine, which was just a normal heartbeat and then moved in. Heard the wooshing sound someone mentioned and figured it was the placenta, and then there it was..the baby's heartbeat. At least twice as fast as mine. The doppler said 83, but as a nurse I know it was way faster than that! So excited! Thanks again ladies for your advice!!

December 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yay!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search