VBac anyone?

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By navywifey2003

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2012, 12:55 PM
terese81's Avatar Veteran
Just wondering if anyone else was planning a VBac? Luckily I live in a big city, and my hospital is obviously very well equipped/staffed, so wanting a VBac isn't even a problem. At my first appointment, my doctor asked, "are you going to deliver vaginally?", to which I said that I would like to, and that was that. No questions asked. I've been with my doctor for about 10 years, and she's awesome and very easy to work with! So, here's a my "background":

With my first, I went into labor 2 weeks before my due date, progressed fine, and delivered him very easily.

My second (the twins) were delivered via C-section, because baby A was breech.

It's been over 5 years since my C-section.

I'm really really hoping for a successful VBac. I've been researching, and the MORE I read up on VBacs, the more confident I am with my choice. Not to mention, the C-section was very traumatizing for me. :/ I have an extreme fear of surgery, and the recovery was miserable. I also have chronic pelvic pain attributed to my C-section.

I want to hear both sides, those choosing VBacs and those choosing C-section. I don't think there is a right or wrong, just a personal choice. Curious to see everyones.

December 13th, 2012, 01:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm planning on a VBAC. I'm praying I'm able to do it becuase for me also my c-section with DD was very tramatizing. The recovery was just aweful. It's part of the reason why I waited 3.5years to get pregnant again. I don't want to scare anyone who's reading that hasn't gone through a c-section. I have several friends that liked their c-section and would prefer it that way to delivering vaginally. My situation was differnt and it was not an experience I ever want go through again. My hospital supports vbacs and says they don't see a reason why I couldn't try. They are just warning me that since I never had a vaginal birth that the odds aren't as good and that we will just have to wait and see how things go. I am very comfortable with my decision and pray that it all goes well.
December 13th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Well good luck! Glad I'm not the only one! I've also known women who were fine with their C-sections. It just depends on the person!

December 13th, 2012, 04:06 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a c-section with my first - 4 days of contractions and he never progressed into the birth canal. His head was too big. LOL

I had an amazing experience though....and have nothing to compare it to but was even up and walking that night after the surgery. I'm sorry you both had such a bad experience. =(

My cousin had a horrible vaginal birth that included a broken pelvis, a full episiotomy and a chunk of plancenta was left and she hemoragged at home and almost died 2 weeks later. It was insane so I think there are good and bad for both definitely!

I told Doc I'd like to try for a vbac but I am not opposed to a c-section if we deem that is what is necessary for this baby as well. We will base it off of late ultrasounds and size estimates. Although I visted a tarot card reader and she said c-section, boy, 9 1/2 lbs. So we'll see!

December 13th, 2012, 04:19 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomsgrl11 View Post
I had a c-section with my first - 4 days of contractions and he never progressed into the birth canal. His head was too big. LOL

I had an amazing experience though....and have nothing to compare it to but was even up and walking that night after the surgery. I'm sorry you both had such a bad experience. =(

My cousin had a horrible vaginal birth that included a broken pelvis, a full episiotomy and a chunk of plancenta was left and she hemoragged at home and almost died 2 weeks later. It was insane so I think there are good and bad for both definitely!

I told Doc I'd like to try for a vbac but I am not opposed to a c-section if we deem that is what is necessary for this baby as well. We will base it off of late ultrasounds and size estimates. Although I visted a tarot card reader and she said c-section, boy, 9 1/2 lbs. So we'll see!
Could his head not have been positioned correctly? I know many women whose babies would not descend because their heads were sideways. Just curious.

I love this thread and how everyone is being supportive! Lets keep it that way. I am obviously a homebirth mom but I support informed birth decisions!

December 13th, 2012, 05:02 PM
briellelynette's Avatar Veteran
Trying for a VBac this time, one of my twins were breech amongst other problems. Had them at 35 weeks, recovery was HARD and I lost a lot of blood AND they wanted to give me a blood transfusion so I hoping for a easier delivery with just this one baby.

December 13th, 2012, 06:03 PM
phantomsgrl11's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
Could his head not have been positioned correctly? I know many women whose babies would not descend because their heads were sideways. Just curious.

I love this thread and how everyone is being supportive! Lets keep it that way. I am obviously a homebirth mom but I support informed birth decisions!

I never asked if his head was sideways? I had an ultrasound on a wednesday and the c-section that friday because they said he he would not descend on his own further. He was also measuring 11 lbs 2 ounces on the ultrasound. Luckily they were off - as they can be by a lb either way but the doc said it was a risk they weren't willing to take. He ended up being 9 lbs 11 ounces, 22 inches and I would have to look up the size of his head. He still has a big head! LOL But it is much more in proportion now. The nurses all commented on it when he was born. He was in size one diapers right away. I feel like I got gipped from the newborn stages cause he was so big. By a month he was already 13 lbs and now at 34 months he is 40 lbs and 39 inches. They said he was in good position though. My contractions weren't what I would consider labor by any means. I was never in the intense pain ladies talk about - they just kept telling me at my nst and the ultrasound that I was having contractions. It was weird cause it wasn't how I thought it'd feel at all.

December 13th, 2012, 06:14 PM
It sounds like his head wasnt applying the proper pressure to descend. Either way though I hope everyone who wants their VBACs gets them!
phantomsgrl11 likes this.

December 13th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Veteran
I had a c-section with my twins because baby A was breech. I haven't talked to the doc yet about a vbac, but I certainly would love to try. I am concerned that it is less likely to happen, since I've never had a vaginal birth before. Also, I had severe pre-eclampsia at the time of my daughters' birth, and for several weeks after. I was hospitalized, and it was kind of touch-and-go for awhile. If that happens again, I think my body my not be able to handle the stress of birth.
December 13th, 2012, 07:27 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Me me! I also had a terrible recovery experience with my c-section. My BP spiked in the last month of pregnancy with Connor, so we decided to induce a few days past my EDD. Long story short, labor was almost 48 hours and I did not progress past a few cm dilated, and started to swell up. Connor got stuck, but we're not sure why. He was flipped sunny side up, but my hips also turn in a little bit, so it could have been either or neither. So we'll see how it goes this time around. I'm really hoping a natural VBAC is in my future!!

December 14th, 2012, 06:53 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first was a scheduled c-section at 38 weeks. He was breech and I am not allowed past 38 weeks because the risk of placenta breakdown and increased risk of clots.

My dr. supports Vbacs but does not recommend it for my situation, so this will be another scheduled c-section.
December 14th, 2012, 08:57 AM
After my C-section, I was running back and forth to the NICU for 3 weeks, so, I'm sure that did NOT help my recovery at all! And I had a 3 year old at home.

If I do have to have a C-section this time, my doctor said she will have me do PT to help manipulate the scar tissue (which is what causes me pain).

Good luck everyone!!!

December 14th, 2012, 10:43 AM
DaniB+4's Avatar Super Moderator
I attempted a VBAC with my 16 month old but unfortunately I was not successful. I pulled out all the stops in order to get my VBAC - went with an unmedicated labor, hired a doula, transferred to a hospital that's an hour away because it was more VBAC friendly, and even went to 41+6 days because I didn't want an induction screwing up my plans (though I was induced due to little guy running out of fluid). I had a terrific labor experience and everyone who was involved in my care was super supportive of my VBAC mission. But unfortunately after 27 1/2 hours of hard labor I had only dilated to 3 cm and, in fact, towards the end my cervix started swelling shut. Now, I've never pushed a baby out so I have no idea what that feels like, but let me just say that the pain of having a big ol' baby (10 lbs & 23 inches) putting pressure on a swollen cervix is probably the worst thing I've ever felt. I remember at the very end of my labor when I was waiting for the anesthesiologist to administer my epidural for my c-section I just clung to the side of my bed and cried the most wretched, animalistic cries that have ever come out of my body. It was bloody awful.

Anyway, I didn't get my VBAC but I am incredibly glad that I tried. My only other labor experience was with the twins and it was a total nightmare. I had an induction that went terribly wrong and it ended with a crash c-section that involved me losing a deadly amount of blood and my bowel being nicked during surgery and causing a terrible post-op infection. My birth experience with the twins literally scared me out of ever wanting more children for a very, very long time. I was incredibly traumatized. Not to mention that I never really fully mourned the loss of being able to see my girls when they were first born and hear their first cries. My entire family met my babies before I did and during my long hospital stay I was barely able to spend any time with them because I was so busy being drugged up for searing pain and getting blood transfusions. I know it sounds really trivial but it is such a super painful memory for me when I look back on it. Even as I sit here and type about it, it makes me cry. The only blessing, in hindsight, is that I think seeing my son be born (albeit from behind a curtain) did help to heal my emotional pain a bit. But it's definitely still there. But yeah, you can see why trying for a VBAC was so important to me. I really couldn't imagine going through all of that again.

Anyway, with this pregnancy I am opting for a planned c-section. I don't LOVE the idea but ultimately I am not a good candidate for VBA2C since my last birth was less than two years ago. Plus finding a doctor or midwife in my area that would do a VBA2C in a hospital setting would likely prove to be difficult, especially since both of my labors involved a serious failure to dilate. I had a really great c-section experience the second time around, all things considered, so I am not nearly as scared as I was the last time. I was up and moving pretty quickly after he was born, I was never separated from my son, I breastfed immediately after he was born, and the healing went just fine.

All of that said, I am incredibly supportive of those ladies who want to VBAC and I hope all of you get the result that you want!

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

December 14th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Ill say it again, if you do end up with a section talk to your doctor about the natural c/s! Watch the YouTube video, if its planned I truly think that's the way to go. Huge hugs ladies!

December 14th, 2012, 06:32 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did try for a VBAC with my DS. I had a c-section because my first pregnancy was very premature twins... (24 weeks). I wasn't successful in my VBAC but I was really proud of myself for trying! I am proud of you ladies for trying too! C-sections are definitely hard to recover from so if you can avoid them, DO!

Obviously I will be having my 3rd section. I am okay with it now. I did go through some pretty severe c-section grief after my unsuccessful VBAC. I really wanted that experience, ya know? So I am a little envious

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search