Need creative inspiration for Boy names

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By MrsLat
  • 2 Post By navywifey2003
  • 2 Post By bribugg13
  • 2 Post By ashleykathleen
  • 1 Post By SassySami

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2012, 04:36 AM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
UGH! Bourne's name came so easy to us. We had it decided within a couple of days of the anatomy scan. This time is a whole different story. With the early guess being boy, we have started focusing on boy names but can't find anything that sticks with us or we both agree on for more than a day.

We like less common names and try to avoid the top 100. We also like a family connection in some way. Bourne's name is a variation of his great grandfather's last name. Other grandparent surnames in include: Reeves, and Landers. I would love to find a way to honor my grandmother, whose maiden name is Landers, so if it doesn't make the first name, it will most likely be the second name.

Some of the top names are:

Boston (Because I qualified for Boston when I was pregnant) DH is not in love
Levi
Landon - as a variant on Lander
Lander
Eli or Elijah
Braeden (Not my fave, too many aiden/hayden/brayden/jaydens)
Brady - not DH's fave
Bran - I don't like
Hendley - Middle name after my grandad

Can you guys give me any creative inspiration at all? It seems the baby name websites all toss out the same 20 names.

Sigh.......
December 14th, 2012, 03:11 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Sept 2014 DDC Co-host
I have been getting frustrated with baby name boards too! I kind of like Lander, it is unique like Bourne is! And the more I think about it, the more I like it! That is just my opinion though.
mommyandwife08 likes this.

December 14th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Another vote for Lander! I am all about inspiration from the family tree. Do you have any older/retired relatives who are into genealogy? They might have some more material for you...

If you want less common and less trendy, I would stay away from anything that ends with an -ayden sound. And Brady too.

However I think you have to go with what you like. And sometimes the national trends are much different from the local ones, so even a "common" name might be unique in your town. Like I have never met a little Emma or Madison but I know multiple LOs named Lily and Sienna or Sierra. For boys I know multiple boys named Sage but only one Jacob. Buuuut I live in a hippie town (obviously lol)

December 14th, 2012, 09:13 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
You can try nymbler.com. You put in your children's names and it picks off that. boys names are so hard!
QueenCrafty and bribugg13 like this.

December 15th, 2012, 05:15 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I kind of like Lander. That's really different! I was going to suggest nymbler too
December 15th, 2012, 03:17 PM
overlinmommy17's Avatar Super Mommy
Lander is adorable

December 15th, 2012, 05:06 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Landry? Reed or Reid?

December 15th, 2012, 09:09 PM
dmreed32's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaV View Post
Landry? Reed or Reid?
I love Reid. If my last name wasn't Reed I would use it

December 16th, 2012, 05:13 AM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreed32 View Post
I love Reid. If my last name wasn't Reed I would use it
lol what? No, Reid Reed?? He could be the next Phillip Phillips!!! Totally kidding, that name drives me NUTS!! We have a local news caster named Neil McNeil!! UGH!!!
TeresaV and MrsLat like this.

December 16th, 2012, 05:16 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Kat, I love Lander and it goes well with B. I think Chris should be on board!!!

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

December 16th, 2012, 06:16 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bribugg13 View Post
lol what? No, Reid Reed?? He could be the next Phillip Phillips!!! Totally kidding, that name drives me NUTS!! We have a local news caster named Neil McNeil!! UGH!!!
DF and all the kids have the last name Collins. He always thinks its sooooo funny to suggest Colin as a name for a boy. Yes, Colin Collins is hysterical dear. This why our kid won't end up with a name until waaaay later.
bribugg13 and MrsLat like this.

December 16th, 2012, 06:42 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
My friend was telling me her nephew was almost named Christopher. Something clicked, their last name is Cross.. so Chris Cross was a no go, after the music group Kris Kross haha
MrsLat likes this.

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

December 16th, 2012, 08:02 AM
I think Lander is growing on him. Last night he asked me "What middle name would Lander have?" It's progress.
December 16th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Veteran
Abraham
Abram
Alaric
Alastair
Ambrose
August
Basil
Bruce
Calvin
Cedric
Conrad
Desmond
Damon
Dorian
Duncan
Emmett
Ephraim
Eugene
Everett
Ezekiel
Felix
Francis
Gershom
Gideon
Graham
Grant
Hugo
Jasper
Josiah
Justus
Kenneth
Laurence
Lysander
Magnus
Malcolm
Marcus
Martin
Miles
Niles
Oscar
Otto
Roland
Rudyard
Sebastian
Seth
Simon
Thaddeus
Theodore
Tobias
Zacharias

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkat View Post
I think Lander is growing on him. Last night he asked me "What middle name would Lander have?" It's progress.

While I don't really like the name Lander, I think Lander Elijah sounds really nice together. Or Lander Tobias, must be something with the syllable count.

December 16th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Veteran
I really like the name Lander I also was going to suggest the name Reid...My dad's cousin name their son that a few years ago, and I really adore that name. I also think Hendley, or some variation would be pretty cute too.

If you have the time, look into your genealogy. Some families used "common" names back then, but then there are some names that really stand out. Look into your local genealogy society...Majority of them have computers that have free access to ancestry.com and all you usually need to do a pay a small (usually $5 fee to use their facility...keep in mind any prints/copies you make you will be charged for). They often have people who are more than willing to help you get started. Also, a number of states are starting to put the older vital records up online for free research so that could be an option to help you search too. If you have any questions on this sort of thing feel free to pm me

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 17th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wanted something known but with a twist. We names our son Aleksander and call him Alek. It a Russian spelling, which matches with some of my background (I am Heinz 57 - mix of everything).
December 18th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Thank you for all the input! DH has said that for now our name is Lander Christian, but he reserves the right to change it if the most awesome name in the world comes to him.

With our luck, after all this boy name discussion, the MFM Dr. will be wrong and it will be a girl
December 18th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Love Lander Christian I will interested to see if he manages to top that! It would def be funny if it turned into a girl too

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search