Hospital Gown vs "Pretty Pusher"

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shen7
  • 1 Post By wildchihuahua
  • 1 Post By bluesparkles

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, my first labour and delivery was at home in a birthing tub. Therefore I was naked for the majority of the time. This time, however, we're going to have a hospital birth (living back at home, and my dad said NO WAY to a home birth).

I keep hearing about how awful hospital gowns are. Uncomfortable, ugly, shows your backside, etc. Honestly, it never even occurred to me to wear anything other than the hospital gown. I was looking into maternity clothes online today since I'm getting to that point where I need them, and I ended up looking at a product on Amazon called Pretty Pushers. At first I thought, "Really? How vain do you have to be to care what you look like when you're giving birth?" I was thinking it was just a silly novelty item. Then I started reading the reviews, and it seems like most everyone who has bought one absolutely loved them. Apparently they're quite comfortable - and they ARE pretty cute - and they have openings and ties in all the right places for monitoring and whatnot.

So ladies, what's your opinion? Have any of you worn something other than the standard hospital gown during your previous deliveries? Is it worth shilling out $20 for? Or is it one of those things that is a good idea in theory but I won't give a crap about once I'm in labour?

December 15th, 2012, 08:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I figured I wouldn't give a crap once I was in labor. I was right.

However different women are different. I am VERY low maintenance and do not give a second thought to my appearance most of the time. I found the hospital gown lightweight and comfortable. I am not modest and don't care whether it makes me look pretty or not. But, I know many women do their hair and put on makeup before going to the hospital, make sure they have just the right clothes for before and after, etc. That is what makes them feel comfortable. And having a pretty gown could be part of that. However it is still a strange concept to me personally.
mamamac likes this.

December 15th, 2012, 10:43 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I say go for it because you do end up taking a lot of pictures. HOWEVER.. just be aware that if something were to go wrong and they have to get you into a c-section or something really quick and you aren't in a regular gown they can get off easy they will just cut you out of what you are wearing. Just a thought. I had that happen to my very favorite nightgown during my first, unexpected delivery. I was pretty sad about it, LOL.

Also I never really cared much once I was in labor and in pain. But I look back at my pictures and I look terrible! Maybe I should have cared a little more, ya know what I mean? Hahaha...

December 16th, 2012, 04:54 AM
SassySami's Avatar Crunchy mama
Well I wore just a cotton sun dress thing, tell it was time to get in the tub. Then I was naked

Sami, married to Joe, mama to Debra (9), Kaydence (7), Nolan (2) and Jarek born 6/26/2013, unassisted at home

December 16th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
I will be making my own hospital gowns. I wasn't uncomfortable in my hospital gown with my first but does look ugly in pictures! The one ill be making has snaps down the sleeves for easy on and off around IVs and such, snaps all the way down the back vs just one tie for easy access to my epidural that I'll be requesting and also has snaps around the front for easy breast feeding access. I already printed off the free pattern online to make. So excited to get started!
December 16th, 2012, 08:08 AM
Mom2LillieAidan's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steph625 View Post
I will be making my own hospital gowns. I wasn't uncomfortable in my hospital gown with my first but does look ugly in pictures! The one ill be making has snaps down the sleeves for easy on and off around IVs and such, snaps all the way down the back vs just one tie for easy access to my epidural that I'll be requesting and also has snaps around the front for easy breast feeding access. I already printed off the free pattern online to make. So excited to get started!
Where did you get the pattern from? I am worthless with a sewing machine, but I want to see if I can get someone to make me one.

#1, 4, 5, 7
December 16th, 2012, 08:15 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
I know they aren't the cutest in pictures but I'm too cheap to buy or make anything special to wear. With my second labor, I just wore my t-shirt I had on because there was no time to strip. Literally I showed up, took my pants off and pushed out my DD. At least it was a comfy t-shirt
December 16th, 2012, 09:16 AM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't want to worry about cleaning anything after labor. So, hospital gown all the way for me. That's another reason I wouldn't do a home birth - I don't want to have to think about cleaning up after and I don't trust DH to do as good a job! lol Silly, I know.
LisaS likes this.

December 16th, 2012, 09:30 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
As soon as I delivered my first two I put on comfy pjs. With our 3rd which was a hb I also delivered naked and then put on comfy pjs. I would probably refuse the gown and just wear something comfy.

December 16th, 2012, 09:39 AM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will be wearing whatever the hospital hands me to wear. I couldn't care less, really. DH will be the only person in the delivery room with me, so I'll make sure I look somewhat presentable before visitors come in.

December 16th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Super Mommy
I think I'll just be wearing the hospital gown while actually giving birth, but afterwards, I want to bring something better looking while staying in the hospital. I hate those nursing gowns, they're so ugly and I think I'd be more comfortable in my own clothes. I haven't done that with either of my boys.
December 16th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Veteran
I wore the gown the whole time I was in the hospital. I really didn't care. I didn't realize you could put on other clothes after. I'd rather just wear the gowns honestly, and not worry about bleeding on my own stuff. Actually, I wore a nursing bra during delivery (cause I get sweaty when I don't wear a bra) and It was a pain in the ***. I didn't have my IV removed until a day or so later (I was really dehydrated) and I couldn't take off the bra with the IV on, etc...
LisaS likes this.

December 16th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchihuahua View Post
I don't want to worry about cleaning anything after labor. So, hospital gown all the way for me. That's another reason I wouldn't do a home birth - I don't want to have to think about cleaning up after and I don't trust DH to do as good a job! lol Silly, I know.
Well, with the particular outfits I'm talking about, they're kind of made to be disposable. Since they don't cost a ton of money, you won't really worry about it possibly getting ruined.

Honestly though, I think I'm going to just go with the hospital gown. Since we're having a midwife, we're expected to leave within 4 hours of birth, unless of course there's a problem requiring me to stay. Seems silly to pay for and bring a piece of clothing that I could care less about during labour, especially if I'm going to be going home just a few hours later. It's not like anyone is going to come visit me in the hospital, they can just come visit us at home, and by that time I'll be in my own comfy clothes anyways.

Oh, and as far as the home birth...yeah, there's some pretty nasty clean-up involved. Since we had a birthing tub, all the ick was confined to that area, but my husband said cleaning it was the most disgusting thing he's had to do in his life. And this is a man who gets queasy and faint at the slightest sight of blood. I was amazed that he was able to handle it!

December 16th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Veteran
I'm planning on wearing the gown the hospital provides during labor and delivery, but I'm bringing some comfy pj's for after. I have heard that some hospitals/birthing centers have some strict policies on patients bringing in their own gowns to wear during the delivery...I guess it all depends on the gown and the policies of the establishment

Make a pregnancy ticker
December 16th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Steph625's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoPennyRoyalTea View Post
Where did you get the pattern from? I am worthless with a sewing machine, but I want to see if I can get someone to make me one.
Just google "the craft cupboard: hospital gown tutorial". It looks pretty simple to make. I always find that cutting out the pattern is the hardest part and I'm no sewing expert either. Haha. But she has step by step instructions with pictures to follow.
December 16th, 2012, 09:07 PM
DaniB+3's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally opted for the hospital gowns during labor, delivery and the first day or so after birth. Sorry to be gross but for the first 24-48 hours after delivery I had to sit on those giant blue pads and wear those disgusting mesh underwear, all while dealing with PP bleeding and other grossness coming out of me, as well as bloody abdominal bandages (c-section deliveries)....so yeah, no way I was wearing anything that I actually owned while I was going through all of that. Once I had all of my tubing removed and was able to shower & walk around freely I changed into a cheapie nursing night gown that I bought specifically for the hospital. I didn't ruin it but if I had stained or ruined it I wouldn't have cared. Yes, the hospital gowns are ugly and ill-fitting but in my case I couldn't have cared less. With all of the fluids that were pumped into me coupled with the pain meds & sheer exhaustion I didn't look so hot anyway, LOL. Plus, since I had surgical deliveries I had IVs and epidurals in place for a few days post-birth and I wouldn't have been able to change in and out of normal clothes anyway. But as everyone else has said, it's a personal choice. My advice is just to steer clear of anything that you'd be upset to ruin or lose, since both scenarios are very possible.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

December 17th, 2012, 06:05 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
I opted for hospital gown and I will again. Also I'm going to remember to bring a huge pack of LARGE underwear that I can throw in the garbage before leaving. I remember my nurse helping me get dressed before we moved from the delivery room into the room I was staying in and for some reason I thought my smaller pair of underwear would fit right after the baby. I was very wrong and I ruined most of the clothes I wore right after the birth. My comfy baggy sweats and pj's were great, but I did end up ruining some of the pants. I think I need to just buy some cheapie clothes to wear the first week because it's not pretty haha

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
December 17th, 2012, 07:08 AM
princess136's Avatar Super Mommy
I am totally wearing one of the cuter hospital gowns you can buy. That is one of the first questions I asked my doctor was did the hospital allow outside ones. I think they are cute and I don't mind paying a little money for something I feel better in while in pain during labor.

So I say go for it!

~Kristin~
December 17th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No way am I spending my time making something that might only get gross. I lived in those ugly hospital gowns both times I gave birth and afterwards. It was such a bloody mess that I didn't want to worry about my own clothes.
December 17th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
You may want to ask the hospital if they require their own gowns. Some may since they need to use fetal monitors, iv's and the like. Otherwise, go with what makes you feel comfortable As for me, I was OK in anything so long as I had my epidural.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search