MOTW: Thursday

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Looks like I'm up next!

I grew up in Southern California, I'm the oldest of 3 girls. My family and I are INCREDIBLY close. In high school, I was your typical band nerd. I lived and breathed marching band. I played the flute. The fact that my family and I were really close, makes the fact that I moved away to Iowa for college really surprising. I felt I needed to move away from my comfort zone and gain some new experiences in life. I'm very introverted, so trekking out on my own (with help from extended family in Iowa) really helped me blossom a little bit.

This is my parents and I at my high school graduation

My sisters and I at my wedding

I went to college at Iowa State University in Ames. I attended on a full academic scholarship, so all I had to pay was books. I feel very fortunate to have gone there and experienced it. A lot of my favorite memories were formed in Ames, and the University will always hold a very special place in my heart. I majored in History, and my first semester in college, I met my husband.

DH and I in college

Participating in an ISU tradition: Cherry Pies

After college I worked a summer at a Living History Museum. It was quite the experience. I was the milliner, which meant in addition to interpreting life in an 1875 Iowa Town, I was also the women's hat maker. I gained many skills from working at the museum: cooking on a wood burning stove, knitting, and making hats. The most annoying thing that happened when I worked at the museum was people, especially old men, would always grab my bustle (the thing that made the back of my skirt extend out). After a season there, I quit and moved on.

Knitting in the millinery shop

One of the hats I made (the one I actually made for myself, and I still have)

After working at the museum, I hopped around from various jobs, working in day care, I got married, and then I started working as a one on one paraprofessional with a child with autism. That's my true passion. I think some day I'm going to go back to school in order to work with special needs children as a teacher. During the summers, I would nanny my friends kids and we would play lots of dress up. These years were probably my happiest.

I'm Captain Hook

My husband and I moved down to Florida last year, and it's okay. We're looking to move back to Iowa soon, hopefully shortly after the baby is born. Or at least move somewhere not here. The culture in this part of Florida is just not for us. We live in the panhandle, and while the culture is pretty shocking to us, the scenery is beautiful.

Us and the Gulf of Mexico

As far as Hobbies go, I have quite a few. I sew, play music, and READ.

I'm an amateur Lincoln Scholar:

A Total Nerd:

And My husband and I LOVE to travel:

We do a lot of traveling in the US. We camp, and see various odd sites around the country.

Deadwood

Carlsbad, NM

And we've been to Turkey and Greece.

Turkey:

Greece:

This last summer we visited TWENTY-FIVE states in 3 weeks, and drove about 9,000 miles. It was our "last hurrah" since we knew, after 4.5 years of marriage we were going to start trying to expand our family.

Hope I didn't bore you!! Can't wait to share about my husband tomorrow

TUESDAY: Love Story, all about Hubby

My husband, Matt, and I met in November 2003, in our first semester at Iowa State. We were both taking an astronomy class that had a ridiculously late Friday recitation in the observatory. We both showed up for the recitation about an hour and a half early. We were both sitting on this bench, and Matt turned to me and and said, "Are we just going to sit here in silence the whole time, or should we talk?" So we started talking, and then we started sitting by each other in class, and we started hanging out after class...however, he was still dating his HS sweetheart, and totally unavailable, but he was a great friend. After about a month of friendship, he and his girlfriend broke up, and then a week later we started dating. Our first date was him taking me home to meet his parents and then going to a crappy horror movie. Later on in our relationship, I learned that the day we met was his birthday, and he began referring to me as his "birthday gift from God." And MUCH later, I learned that the reason he took me home to meet his parents on the first date, was that he already knew I was "the one."

Us 6 months into dating, so 2003, I was 18, he's 19:

After 2 years of dating, Matt finally got the courage to propose in May 2006. He took me to a beautiful lake and as the sunset, he proposed. It was horribly romantic, but it was dampered by the fact that he was leaving in two days to study abroad for the entire summer. He majored in History in college, and focused on Classical Rome and Greece. He studied abroad on the island of Crete, and participated in an archaeological dig. As someone who LOVES rocks and ruins, he LOVED his time on Crete, even though he had a near death experience after he learned that ruins of a building are *not* safe to walk on, and fell down a mountain. He was fine by a huge miracle, and now it's something we joke about a lot.

One of our engagement pictures:

We had a long engagement, 2 years, since I didn't want to plan a wedding while still in college, and after we both graduated in 2007, Matt went BACK to school to get his teaching degree, so we had to plan the wedding for Spring Break, since we were getting married in my hometown in California, and needed to make sure he didn't miss any school to do so. Because of strict teaching requirements in the state of Iowa, it took Matt 3 more years of school to get certified to teach Latin and History at the secondary level, on top of his 4 year Bachelor degree. So, when he was FINALLY done with school in 2010, we were doing many happy dances. Unfortunately, there were no jobs that would hire a brand new teacher, so we spent a year debating our next step. We expanded his job search to ANYWHERE, and that's how we ended up in NW Florida. He teaches Latin and AP World History to high schoolers down here.

Our Wedding:

Matt is my best friend, and he's an amazing guy. He's SOOO funny, and is not afraid to make a fool of himself. He is constantly making me laugh, and always knows how to make me feel better when I'm having a bad day. He is extremely smart. He is amazing at Math, and can read both Ancient Greek and Latin. He is a total video gamer, and as someone who grew up with never really playing video games, he's taken that as his personal challenge to make me good at things like mario. He doesn't think he is, but he's awesome with kids, and kids LOVE him, and that just makes me CRAZY excited about seeing him in the role of dad.

Matt being goofy on a trip in Colorado:

Matt being skeptical about a roadside diner we stopped to eat at:

Matt translating Latin when we were in Ephesus:

I'll be back tomorrow to tell you about my thoughts on becoming a mommy!

Wednesday: Motherhood

Okay, so I won't have much to put here, because, I'm currently pregnant with my first!

I'm SO excited to finally enter the "motherhood" stage of my life though. I have been waiting patiently (and impatiently) to get to this stage. Matt and I decided that we needed to wait to start a family until we were in a stable place in our lives. So we waited through Matt's schooling, his unemployment and through one whole year of teaching.

And let me tell you, it was a very long wait. Especially when you have a mother-in-law asking you every other month, "When are you guys going to give me grandchildren!?"

The thing I'm looking forward to most about being a mom is being able to bond with a kid, and not have to give them back! I love kids and I get attached, and I care for them, so getting to have one of my own to love and care for and teach is going to be wonderful.

I also think Matt is going to make a wonderful father. He's already talking to the baby, and every morning when he kisses me to wake me, he gives my belly a kiss. The other day, when he thought he was going to have a bad day at work, he "rubbed my belly for luck." It's so cute to see how he is already (he rearranges his whole schedule to make sure he's there for an ultrasound, saying, "seeing my kid is more important than a meeting about someone elses"), that I am anxious to see how he will be once the baby gets here.

This is the only picture I have of our baby,

Thursday

Okay, had a no good, rotten, very bad day at work (and I only worked 3 hours) cheer me up and ask some questions

Thank you *Kiliki* for the beautiful siggy

Last edited by beatlechicksteph; December 20th, 2012 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added Tuesday, Added Wednesday
December 17th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Super Mommy
It seems like you've had so much fun! Can't wait to hear more about you!
December 17th, 2012, 01:55 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I love your story!

What high school did you go to? I was also in marching band in southern ca.

December 17th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
I love your story!

What high school did you go to? I was also in marching band in southern ca.
I went to Jurupa Valley. It's in the Riverside suburb of Mira Loma.

December 17th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Did you guys go to the competition in Las Vegas?

December 17th, 2012, 02:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We did not. We were a VERY small band, like the lowest class. We didn't do much outside of So. CA

December 17th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Oh okay we were a very large band. We even went to grand nationals in Indiana. It was Etiwanda high school marching eagle regiment.

December 17th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifey2003 View Post
Oh okay we were a very large band. We even went to grand nationals in Indiana. It was Etiwanda high school marching eagle regiment.
Oh cool!! You were one of the bands we would watch and LONG to be like So cool that you and I pretty much were down the freeway from each other :-D
navywifey2003 likes this.

December 17th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I like your Dad's mustache lol
beatlechicksteph likes this.

December 17th, 2012, 02:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beatlechicksteph View Post
Oh cool!! You were one of the bands we would watch and LONG to be like So cool that you and I pretty much were down the freeway from each other :-D
My husband actually grew up in Riverside

December 17th, 2012, 03:18 PM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaze View Post
I like your Dad's mustache lol
Hahaha! I was thinking the exact same thing!!!

Love your story! You are so lucky to have been able to travel so much!

December 17th, 2012, 04:23 PM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Very cool!

December 17th, 2012, 04:35 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am way jealous of your travels! My hubby would fit in well with you guys! He loves Star Trek and history So fun...

December 17th, 2012, 04:57 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
OMG I love you!! I am also a fellow band nerd and history nerd. Your job at the living history museum sounds awesome! I would go nuts over something like that. DH and I have also been to Greece (2004) and Turkey (this October).
December 17th, 2012, 05:48 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds great and like a lot of fun! I look forward to hearing more about your husband!

December 17th, 2012, 07:42 PM
bribugg13's Avatar SAHM to Pirate & Princess
Send a message via MSN to bribugg13 Send a message via Yahoo to bribugg13 Send a message via Skype™ to bribugg13
How awesome! Thanks for sharing, it's great to get to know everyone better!

December 18th, 2012, 10:56 AM
I love your love story!

December 18th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Sweet!

December 19th, 2012, 07:01 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Super adorable love story!

December 20th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Man the Q and A part can be hard to think of a question when every ones been so thorough. Uhhh heres a total nerd question lol whats your favorite book and or author and why?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search