Send prayers please...

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By sunnydaze

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2012, 06:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That I survive the holidays with my inlaws.

December 23rd, 2012, 06:58 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Good luck!!
December 23rd, 2012, 07:38 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lots of luck! I know how that goes. I find that holidays with the in laws are tougher when I can't arm myself with wine.
December 23rd, 2012, 08:07 AM
briellelynette's Avatar Veteran
Gooooood Luck!!

December 23rd, 2012, 08:52 AM
ashleykathleen's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is terrible but it's things like this that make me thankful I have virtually no in-laws anymore. DF was abandoned by his drug addict mom and alcoholic dad when he was 8 and his grandparents adopted and raised him. His grandpa passed away a few years ago and his grandma passed away this past summer. I loved them dearly but it got really old constantly hearing criticism about everything from us not being married to how we raised our children.

December 23rd, 2012, 09:38 AM
Veteran
Just be yourself and don't mind them if you heard them saying any negative comments at you. They can't change you what they want you to be because you are you. God bless you.
December 23rd, 2012, 09:49 AM
Joanne Nicole's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am so, so, so glad we moved away from my husband's dad and step-mum. His dad was ok, but Evil-Step-Mother-In-Law was the devil incarnate. When I was 9 months pregnant with Fiona, for Christmas she gave me one of those giant cheap cases of makeup that you get at Walmart for $10, and explained in front of the whole family that she knew I hadn't been making much of an effort with my looks during my pregnancy, and maybe her gift would help with that. Her son's girlfriend was also pregnant at the same time, and she got us both nursing nightgowns and felt the need to announce that she got an x-small for Deanna, because she knew that she'd have no trouble losing the baby weight, but she got me an XXL because she knew I'd been struggling with my weight. For the record, even though I am overweight, I'm very well proportioned and most of my clothes are Mediums, with a few larges thrown in.

After the babies were born, it became clear that her son's daughter was the obvious favourite, and our daughter barely counted as family. To look at all the pictures of the other granddaughter around their house, you'd never even know that Fiona existed. The other granddaughter was lavished with huge expensive gifts while Fiona got cheap, tiny ones. Which of course, they always had them open together at family functions, so the difference was even more obvious. They'd babysit the other granddaughter all the time, but the one time we asked them to babysit for our anniversary, after we got back they informed us that we owed them $50 for babysitting for the evening.

When we told them we were moving to another country (who knows if they'll ever even see Fiona again) they couldn't have cared less. Needless to say, now that we're not close enough to spend the obligatory Christmas visit with them, we didn't even get a card, let alone any gifts for Fi. I don't miss them.

I hope your in-laws aren't as bad as mine! Good Luck!

December 23rd, 2012, 10:24 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Wow Joanne! She sounds wretched! I am lucky. It's sad to say that I am glad that DH's father passed away before we got married. I had to spend one awkward Christmas with his dad, stepmom and stepsisters. Basically me, DH, SIL and her DH had to watch the stepsisters open gift after gift while we had nothing. So strange. My MIL is so normal, and sometimes easier to deal with than my own mother
December 23rd, 2012, 11:05 AM
rcjh12's Avatar Nicole
Good luck!

I used to have the same worry, but now we only celebrate with DH's brother and sister-in-law, as they are the only ones who don't think I'm evil, and they are fun to be around. The rest of them don't even cross my mind. (Oh the stories I could tell, ha!)
December 23rd, 2012, 12:13 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
My inlaw story is very similar to Ashley's. we speak to his dad but not to his real mom, he was raised by his moms ex husbands sister. She is kinda an odd duck and doesn't make much of an effort hated me while we were dating but now she seems to like me, I mean its been almost 10 years. His bio sis is a pain and makes it clear she doesn't like me. She called me a fat cow once. The relationship was not the same after that. Good luck Hun, I hope it goes better than expected!

December 23rd, 2012, 03:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DH's father wanted DH to go to a seminary and become a priest. Instead, he married a single teenage (19) mother when he was 27. He is not my biggest fan and DH's mom is fine, but her evil husband is a rude jerk and mean to my kids.

December 23rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanne Nicole View Post
I am so, so, so glad we moved away from my husband's dad and step-mum. His dad was ok, but Evil-Step-Mother-In-Law was the devil incarnate. When I was 9 months pregnant with Fiona, for Christmas she gave me one of those giant cheap cases of makeup that you get at Walmart for $10, and explained in front of the whole family that she knew I hadn't been making much of an effort with my looks during my pregnancy, and maybe her gift would help with that. Her son's girlfriend was also pregnant at the same time, and she got us both nursing nightgowns and felt the need to announce that she got an x-small for Deanna, because she knew that she'd have no trouble losing the baby weight, but she got me an XXL because she knew I'd been struggling with my weight. For the record, even though I am overweight, I'm very well proportioned and most of my clothes are Mediums, with a few larges thrown in.

After the babies were born, it became clear that her son's daughter was the obvious favourite, and our daughter barely counted as family. To look at all the pictures of the other granddaughter around their house, you'd never even know that Fiona existed. The other granddaughter was lavished with huge expensive gifts while Fiona got cheap, tiny ones. Which of course, they always had them open together at family functions, so the difference was even more obvious. They'd babysit the other granddaughter all the time, but the one time we asked them to babysit for our anniversary, after we got back they informed us that we owed them $50 for babysitting for the evening.

When we told them we were moving to another country (who knows if they'll ever even see Fiona again) they couldn't have cared less. Needless to say, now that we're not close enough to spend the obligatory Christmas visit with them, we didn't even get a card, let alone any gifts for Fi. I don't miss them.

I hope your in-laws aren't as bad as mine! Good Luck!
Geez and I thought my monster in law was bad! Yikes!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search