Conflicting Dr. Advice....

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kit.kat.81

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 23rd, 2012, 10:56 AM
First time mommy :)
Ok, so I have the worst acne I have ever had in my entire life (pregnancy is NOT making me beautiful). I went to a Christmas get together last night and by the time I was in my car to go home I had 6 new pimples! That's how bad it is.

I have used Proactiv for years, and although it doesn't 100% heal my skin, it keeps my acne at bay and not so giant and red and noticeable. But when I found out I was pregnant I stopped using it. So then I went to my primary care physician when I was 10 weeks pregnant to get my OB referral and asked him about it, and he said it was fine to use. He said topical acne treatments can't be absorbed and are ok. He also told me that I CAN dye my hair, as long as I am out of my first trimester.....

So a few days later I went to my OB, and she said the complete opposite of both of those things. She said no acne chemicals (benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid) and do NOT dye your hair. So, I googled it and of course got no answer except that proactiv is ok. I am so confused and literally dread leaving the house, and even looking in the mirror. I feel like a walking monster, and it's making my stress level go up which is making me break out more! Do you ladies have any opinions or acne tips?
December 23rd, 2012, 12:32 PM
kit.kat.81's Avatar Veteran
Just a skin care tip that works for me... Use witch hazel as astringent twice a day. Doesn't dry you out and helps acne. I also use a tiny bit of coconut oil (raw) as moisturizer one time a day. It's a natural anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti viral, and has anti aging properties. I know some people find it too oily for their skin but I love it. It absorbs completely if you use a tiny bit and it makes my skin glow!
mommyandwife08 likes this.

December 23rd, 2012, 01:27 PM
TeresaMomTo2Boys's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've used Clean & Clear face wash when I was pregnant with Aidan as well as this one. I've never heard anything about NOT using face washes during pregnancy

December 23rd, 2012, 01:31 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have the greatest complexion normally. In fact, the Pill was my saving grace for my skin. Now my face is a complete trainwreck. I have stopped using all of my face products (benzoyl, anti-aging moisturizers). I keep meaning to get some witch hazel but keep forgetting. I have also heard that it's pretty good for keeping acne at bay (at least a little). Good luck, and I feel your pain!

December 23rd, 2012, 03:41 PM
I found this link via pinterest Homemade Pore Minimizer | eHow.com for pore minimizer

December 23rd, 2012, 03:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmm never heard that you can't use acne face products while pregnant. I also don't have great skin and ail use clinique acne solutions and it works wonders! I use to use proactive but it stopped working and just dryingy skin out.

December 23rd, 2012, 04:13 PM
mommy220's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't know you couldn't use acne facewash. I use coconut oil to take my makeup off and I will have to slather it on my face because it is getting all dried out but yet I keep getting pimples. In fact, I have this big swollen pore that has been there for three months I swear! I have a doctor's appointment for it this week as it's so embarrassing. I have to go to my primary care physician before I can get referred to a dermatologist. I am betting I am not going to get rid of it anytime soon. It looks like a big hard lump and you can see the enlarged pore. Sorry tmi. It doesn't hurt or anything.

December 23rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
morgankaedenmadisonsmommy's Avatar Beyond Blessed
I just got highlights today. I never stopped having my hair done with any of my pregnancies.

December 23rd, 2012, 07:36 PM
Speaking if....2 ugly swollen guys decided to show up between my nose and cheek....grrr

December 23rd, 2012, 08:06 PM
eshute's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've always had skin issues, not terrible but enough to bother me. For a long time I've been using the apricot face scrub and then using Pond's dry skin cream. The apricot scrub keeps most pimples away for me and exfoliates my face which I need daily for some reason. my face flakes like crazy if I don't. Since I got pregnant, I've been having more breakouts, but it still really helps. I hope you find a good routine!

December 23rd, 2012, 09:06 PM
plastikmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Popping in from the April DDC: Acne has been one of my worst pregnancy symptoms. It really stinks to feel so awful about your apprearance!! Where is that pregnant glow I hear all about??
My OB also said no to anything over the counter for acne treatments. She perscribed an antibiotic pad to use twice a day after washing my face. (erythromycin), It is like 80% better! Just something to ask about at your next appt. Good luck!
December 24th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Thank you all so much for your input! I have lots of things to try now! :-) I tried a clinique wash and managed the last 24 hours without a new pimple so hooray for that.
December 24th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Veteran
I wouldn't use the OTC meds or dye your hair- a few studies have linked them to preterm birth and/or birth defects. Nothing conclusive though- but why risk it?

Here's a product to ask your OB about- spot treatment works great! Welcome to Belli Online

Good luck!
December 24th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Yeah I don't plan on dying my hair. That's what I thought even if it is ok its not worth the risk. That and this is an IVF baby and cost us a pretty penny so I'll just avoid the what ifs!!
December 26th, 2012, 05:54 AM
safarilime's Avatar Super Mommy
My ob says soap and lotion for the face and hair dye after first trimester. I dyed my hair with my son and had no problems

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search