Room sharing??

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 26th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Super Mommy
IF we find out that this baby is a girl, we are really considering having the two girls share a room. We have a 3 bedroom house, but I would like to keep the extra room as an office/playroom area. Reagan will be 3 years and 3 months older than the baby. I would not put the baby in her bedroom until she is sleeping through the night. I will keep the baby in our room for awhile then move her to the extra room when she starts sleeping longer stretches. So my questions is... is this a reasonable thought that a baby and a 3 year old can share a room? Has anyone else had two kids with this much of an age difference sharing a room? What are the pros & cons? Thanks ladies!

If we do have a boy, the office/playroom will be history. I won't put a boy in Reagan's pink room.
December 26th, 2012, 08:43 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I don't see anything wrong with it. When we lived in our 3 bedroom our son and daughter shared a room. Our boys will be sharing here soon.

December 26th, 2012, 11:17 PM
MrsLat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I put my son in with my daughter and they are 2 1/2 years apart. As soon as Gabriel was sleeping through the night, we really didn't have any problems with them sharing a room.

December 27th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My daughter is 4 and she wants so badly so share a room with her new siblings Go for it & when the baby gets a bit older get bunk beds they will think you are the coolest

December 27th, 2012, 05:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My 5 yr old is moving in with my (then) 12 year old who has bunk beds until this baby learns how to escape his or her crib. Then, when baby moved into a "big kid bed" the two youngest will share a room, giving big brother his privacy while he goes through the trauma of puberty.

December 27th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Madison.Hailey.Zack's Avatar Mom of 2 Girls and a Boy!
We have a 3 bedroom house and so my oldest who is 4 will still have her own room but my youngest who will be 21 months old when the baby comes will share a room with the baby whether its a boy or girl. We will just paint half the room boyish if its a boy and keep it all the same if its a girl.

December 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
My girls share a room and they are 27 months apart. I waited until Abri was almost 2 before we put them together. She didn't STTN until she was 14 months old, but I wanted to be sure she could handle a big bed instead of the crib.
December 27th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My older boys are three years apart and they share a room. They've always shared one. In fact, when we moved into a much bigger home, they still wanted to room together. It's great because they're not scared to go to bed when they are together, but now that they are older and we expect them to clean their own room they fight about cleaning & sometimes they talk all night instead of going to sleep. But they are very close & enjoy playing with each other.

December 27th, 2012, 11:33 AM
jhmomofmany's Avatar Look! A Dancing Banana!
Send a message via Yahoo to jhmomofmany
We have what is essentially a 3-bedroom house, although there is a partition in one room that almost separates it into two. In the bigger room we have four boys, ages 17, 13, 10, and 8. In the girls' bedroom we have three girls, ages 15 (almost 16), 5, and 2. It isn't a perfect arrangement, but it works because we make it work. My kids have been sharing bedrooms ever since #2 was born.

IME, a baby can share a room with absolutely anybody. They don't take up much space.

Robert: 18 Raechel: 17 Daniel: 14 Joseph: 12 Thomas: 10 Mary Mae: 6 Lucy Marie: 4 and John Anthony, 1!!

Always Missing our Angels: Hope (7-8-06 @36w) and Francis (7-4-12 @12w)

I've lost 60 pounds, and I'm stronger than ever! No gimmicks, no BS, just exercise, nutrition, and support from the awesome Fitness and Weight Loss board here at JM!! Click the blinkie to join us!

December 27th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks for the input. It will save us so much money if they share a room. We spent entirely too much money on Reagan's furniture, and I would rather not purchase another bedroom suite right now. I will move Reagan out of her toddler bed (convertible crib) and put a twin size bed in the room. The only time she really uses her room is for getting dressed and sleeping, so I think it is really doable. The baby can use the room for napping when Reagan isn't sleeping. I think it will work well. I hope! Fingers crossed for another girl.
December 27th, 2012, 02:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
We have the same arrangement, only 2 real bedrooms, the other room is pretty far away, not heated, and has the only good outlets in the house for our computer equipment, so really needs to stay an office/guest room. We know #2 is a boy but I think under age 5 or so (or even older possibly) it really does not matter for them to share.

Basically the plan is for baby to sleep in our room in the cosleeper, when the bassinet setting is outgrown we will try to keep him in it on the pack n play setting. (With M we coslept/bedshared on a mattress on the floor and if needed we will with the new one, maybe M and DH will share our bed while I sleep with LO on the floor bed in her room... we will see. I might night wean a lot sooner with #2 and hope he will be okay with it. M was just a huge hungry baby who needed to nurse all night, right up until I weaned her last month.) When he is over 1 and ready for a bigger bed, he will sleep in the room with big sis. All his clothes and diapers and so on will live in her/their room too.

We are actually starting a low intensity house hunt for a bigger place, but given our strict criteria and the state of the house market in our area, it may be awhile before we have any real options, so I am assuming we will stay in our little house for another 1-3 years.

December 27th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Rochelle
My girls share a room (ages 2.5 and almost 10) weird age-gap but it's our only choice bc we only have a 3 BR home. Our son has his own room but one reason we're hoping for a boy this time is so he can share a room with DS who's 5.5 y/o. DS has a bunkbed so it would be ideal for him to have a roommate.

Our daughters just now really started sharing the room bc prior to that youngest DD still slept in our bed. I'm so glad that for the past month she's been in her big sister's bed. They have 2 dressers and a large desk. A closet, a twin-size bed, a small toychest, dress up box and a stuffed animal net. Also a big comfy reading chair. We managed to shove all that into a normal sized-smallish room and for now it's been fine but it may get cramped eventually and we'll have to make adjustments.

In your case, I see nothing wrong with that age-gap sharing a room. In fact, I think it's ideal for the gap to be smaller rather than larger. I think you should do it, the girls would bond more probably.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search