Breastfeeding myths

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
Ugh, get a different lactation consultant! The one assigned to me at the hospital kept telling me that the latch was perfect and that everything was going well. I kept showing her that my nipple was coming out pure white and completely flattened but she said that was normal! NO WAY! I had to do a bunch of searching online and I found a series of videos and message posts of women experiencing the same thing and it was obviously a clamping issue (baby is essentially biting down with their gums and limiting how much milk is getting out and so want to nurse more which makes the whole thing incredibly painful). Once I began pressing down on his chin and doing the "flipple" my milk flowed much more quickly and freely. This meant less time nursing, quicker food, and his jaw relaxed and the pain stopped.

I'm confident that I'll have an easier time nursing this one but if it hurts again I intend on making a nuisance of myself with the various LCs in my area until I get it figured out.
This was the only lactation consultant at our hospital. I could go see her for free anytime I needed her and I really liked her a lot, but I just couldn't ever get the results at home that she was able to get in the office. I used the nipple shields for months. I had a love/ hate relationship with those things. When I tried to ditch the shields, DD would never get a good latch. It seemed like she only had the actual nipple in her mouth. I too fell victim to the free formula. I caved and supplemented around 4 months. Then mostly pumped due to the pain. I will probably refuse any free formula this time around just in case I have a weak moment. I am going to give it all I have this time around. I won't give up so easily!! (Fingers crossed)
December 30th, 2012, 12:49 AM
DaniB+4's Avatar Super Moderator
I'm another one who cries malarkey on BFing not hurting if you're doing right. It hurt like a mother for the first two months that I was nursing Miles. Ouch ouch ouch! We did struggle with latch in the beginning but overall I think it just takes time for a sensitive part of your body like your nipples to get used to that much stimulation. Once we got latching down and my supply steady we were good as gold. And yes, I got way more sleep with my one nursing baby versus my two formula fed twins. But I also bedshared full-time with Miles for the first 9-10 months so I think that helped, too.

Thank you, *sharon*, for my siggy!

December 30th, 2012, 07:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Traci~ View Post
This was the only lactation consultant at our hospital. I could go see her for free anytime I needed her and I really liked her a lot, but I just couldn't ever get the results at home that she was able to get in the office. I used the nipple shields for months. I had a love/ hate relationship with those things. When I tried to ditch the shields, DD would never get a good latch. It seemed like she only had the actual nipple in her mouth. I too fell victim to the free formula. I caved and supplemented around 4 months. Then mostly pumped due to the pain. I will probably refuse any free formula this time around just in case I have a weak moment. I am going to give it all I have this time around. I won't give up so easily!! (Fingers crossed)
Check with your pediatrician. Many pediatrician offices are now employing LCs. I was surprised to find out that mine has one on staff full-time. She was the one that I went to after the one at the hospital turned out to be a bit of a flake, lol.

This is just an aside, but I don't view my using formula as a weakness or a defect. It was a tool that I needed and used for a limited time that helped me achieve my goal. I always tells people that the most important thing is to feed the baby. If you're feeding the baby then you are doing great. I see a lot of breastfeeding mommies put a lot of stress on themselves and when something doesn't work out they get buried under heaps of guilt and self-loathing. Don't, instead be thankful that you don't have to find a wetnurse or bring home a goat

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search