Breastfeeding myths

Forum: June 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To June 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 27th, 2012, 04:33 PM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
This is not meant to make our formula feeding moms feel inferior or others who struggled but this post has some great myths and truths that I wanted to share!

The Truth Behind Common Breastfeeding Myths

December 27th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I loved this! Thank you!
December 27th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Great article! For me the biggest myth I had was not believing that "size doesn't matter" - I always heard that, but seriously I had trouble filling out an A cup and could barely find bras small enough, I thought I really might not make enough milk. Instead I nursed on demand, round the clock, my baby topped the growth charts in both height and weight without ever taking a bottle, and I had a touch of OVERsupply (had to do some block feeding to keep it in check). Apparently the vast majority of boob you see is just fat storage, not mammary glands, and my boobs are like pure mammary gland tissue with no fat at all! I went from 34AA before pregnancy, to 36C/D when BFing, back to 36A or so within 2 weeks of weaning. Crazy.
edgeofelise and Karen78 like this.

December 27th, 2012, 05:05 PM
TeresaV's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Excellent article. Thanks for posting this.

December 27th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Karen78's Avatar 2nd time around :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
For me the biggest myth I had was not believing that "size doesn't matter" - I always heard that, but seriously I had trouble filling out an A cup and could barely find bras small enough, I thought I really might not make enough milk.
I totally agree! I even used to teach BF classes, and still had a hard time saying size didn't matter. My boobs are so tiny! Is there a negative A? Cuz that's what I am. I was so passionate about BF, and I was always so nervous that my boobs would fail me when I had a baby. I exclusively BF my son for almost 15 months! I actually looked like a woman! Haha! After I weaned him, they shrunk back to their sad small existence.....maybe even smaller! I was so hoping they'd get bigger with this pregnancy, but no (they didn't change last pregnancy either). I'm excited to get boobs again this summer!
D&K's_mama likes this.

December 27th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I still cry bull at the idea that breastfeeding doesn't hurt. Yes, it's not supposed to and the idea is to get it so that it won't hurt. If you're doing it right then it won't hurt. HOWEVER. Breastfeeding is like a dance and when you're learning a dance you take a few stumbles and step on a few toes. Breastfeeding hurts in the beginning for a lot of new mommies because they're learning how to do it correctly. So, yes, breastfeeding DOES hurt in the beginning.

My nipples were bloody and bruised ruined messes for the first two weeks. It turned out that my son had a clamping issue and because of the pain I was too scared to "feed" him more of my breast. Once I figured out how to resolve the clamping issue, got brave and encouraged a deeper latch, and set SOME kind of time limit on his nursing (1.5-3 hour marathons are a tad too much, lol) my nipples healed and we never had another issue.

I *DO* fully agree with the notion that nursing moms get more sleep. I certainly didn't feel like that in the beginning because my son wanted to be on me 24/7 and he didn't sleep for longer than 2-3 hours at a time for WEEKS. In fact, it wasn't until 3 months that he slept for longer than 4 hours at a time. It turned out that he had acid reflux. Once that got taken care of he slept more. But as time went on and our night routine became easier I thought back to if I had bottle fed him. You would have to mix the bottle, get the right temp, and then clean up. With breastfeeding I only had to whip it out and then tuck it up before laying him down. Much more easy and meant more sleep
DaniB+3 likes this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

December 27th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Veteran
Thank you for sharing- the more advice the better!
December 27th, 2012, 07:58 PM
zkat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I discovered that after intake is vital to success. The amount of water I drank was insane. Something like 150 oz a day!!!!
December 27th, 2012, 08:11 PM
Super Mommy
Great article!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerinSun View Post
I still cry bull at the idea that breastfeeding doesn't hurt. Yes, it's not supposed to and the idea is to get it so that it won't hurt. If you're doing it right then it won't hurt. HOWEVER. Breastfeeding is like a dance and when you're learning a dance you take a few stumbles and step on a few toes. Breastfeeding hurts in the beginning for a lot of new mommies because they're learning how to do it correctly.
I couldn't agree more!! I BF DD for 6 months then gave up. The pain never got better and I couldn't take it any longer. I visited the lactation consultant several times and I still was never 100% pain free. I so desperately wanted to love nursing, but instead I felt guilty and hated it. I hope it comes much easier this time around!!
December 28th, 2012, 10:53 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had a horrible time BF...my DD wouldnt latch due to my nipples being what they consider being inverted...she wouldnt try the breast shield at all. I had an almost non existent supply. I did pump and gave her what little i could...despite drinking a ton and eating right. I have found out that my grandma had the same problems with my mom and aunts and she also had to use formula. Then my mom had so much oversupply with all of us she could have fed 3 babies. When i was a FTM i assumed EBF would be easy. Yeah right. I will be buying a much more expensive pump this time and hope that will help with supply issues but Im not holding my breath that I will even be able to get this one to latch.

December 28th, 2012, 01:17 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Great information! I did find that my nipples were sore the first few weeks even with a good latch. But once they got used to nursing, it was much better. My youngest had acid reflux and nursed just about all night long (she spit up so much plus the breast milk soothed her throat), I couldn't imagine dealing with that while trying to make a bottle 3 and 4 times a night. She slept in our bed so it was easy to whip out the boob and put it away when she was done without hardly waking up.
December 28th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Traci~ View Post
Great article!!

I couldn't agree more!! I BF DD for 6 months then gave up. The pain never got better and I couldn't take it any longer. I visited the lactation consultant several times and I still was never 100% pain free. I so desperately wanted to love nursing, but instead I felt guilty and hated it. I hope it comes much easier this time around!!
Ugh, get a different lactation consultant! The one assigned to me at the hospital kept telling me that the latch was perfect and that everything was going well. I kept showing her that my nipple was coming out pure white and completely flattened but she said that was normal! NO WAY! I had to do a bunch of searching online and I found a series of videos and message posts of women experiencing the same thing and it was obviously a clamping issue (baby is essentially biting down with their gums and limiting how much milk is getting out and so want to nurse more which makes the whole thing incredibly painful). Once I began pressing down on his chin and doing the "flipple" my milk flowed much more quickly and freely. This meant less time nursing, quicker food, and his jaw relaxed and the pain stopped.

I'm confident that I'll have an easier time nursing this one but if it hurts again I intend on making a nuisance of myself with the various LCs in my area until I get it figured out.
navywifey2003 and ~Traci~ like this.

'Scuse the bad typing, please. 'Breast is Best' but not when browsing the internet!

December 28th, 2012, 07:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OH! I suppose I should also fess up to this: As part of solving this issue I also fed my son formula.

See, he was always on me and was very hungry. And he was also very tense and would go WILD when he was hungry. I mean, truly feral. For about 1-2 days I gave him an ounce or two of formula after each feeding so that he would be more relaxed at the start of the next feeding. I could hear the Le Leche groups screaming their rage, lol.

But it worked. I would pump while my husband fed him the bottle or immediately right after. My son realized that he was getting full and became more relaxed. We also did baby massage as the time got closer to his feeding. The results were that he calmed way down, his jaw loosened, and I could start training him to a deeper, better latch. From the time that we finally got the right latch up until I went back to work he was 100% breastfed. Once i went back to work he was 90% breastfed (stupid pumping, lol).

This is why I have mixed feelings about the free tins of formula they give you. I didn't get any because the hospital classified me as only nursing. My SIL gave me her tins. I would have hated to have to spend $10-$20 on a small tin of formula.

December 29th, 2012, 07:26 AM
MarylandMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSkunk View Post
I will be buying a much more expensive pump this time and hope that will help with supply issues but Im not holding my breath that I will even be able to get this one to latch.
I exclusively pumped with DD (tried direct BF and she always just went to sleep, I would try to wake her up to no avail, so I would get my shirt back on and at that moment, she would wake up screaming to eat. Then repeat. Over. And. Over.). I was determined that she would get breast milk for the first year. The first pump I had was the Medela Pump in Style. That one breaking after 2 mos was a blessing in disguise. Medela shipped me a new one, but I needed something right away and wanted a slightly bett one. I bought the Medela Freestyle (returned the pump in style they sent me for store credit at BRU) and the difference was amazing. I got prob 30% better output and didn't have to pump as long. I was religious about pumping and did it for about 15-20 mins, 8-9 times a day, including one night pumping session for the first 6 months. I pumped s much more than she needed. We froze the excess (long story about rotating the frozen) and by 8 mos, I had enough milk in the freezer for the next 4, so I was able to quit. That pump was the main reason. I will tell you that at the beginning, I got VERY little pumping. Not enough for even half a bottle, but over a few weeks, my supply beefed up. When I weaned off the pump, my engorgement was so bad I had to see a dr and get on birth control to dry up. They had never seen anything like the mess my boobs were and none of the traditional stuff like cabbage leaves worked even a little. They were also shocked that I had so much output. Apparently, that's not normal for exclusive pumping. I think it was the pump combined with the vigorous pumping schedule. I plan to do style same thing again. Sorry this was so long. Just wanted to share my pumping tips with you. Good luck this time around! I hope it works out the way you want this time!
MamaSkunk likes this.
December 29th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's amazing that you were able to do that! Good for you!

December 29th, 2012, 10:16 AM
navywifey2003's Avatar Home Birth Mama
Send a message via AIM to navywifey2003
I love this group of ladies! So much support <3

December 29th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Kalynas_Mom's Avatar Super Mommy
My daughter would NOT latch. She screamed like crazy everytime I brought her up to the breast and would latch for 5 seconds and pop off. She lost over 10% of her birth weight because she wouldn't take a bottle either and I ended up pumping and finger feeding for about a week but I constantly brought her to the breast. it worked best when she was sleepy, but it was a rough rough road. I just wanted to add about the pain, that sometimes as baby's mouth get's bigger it gets much less painful. Nursing was excruciating for a month or two with DD and no one could find anything wrong with her latch (and no tongue tie). They said her mouth was just very small and true enough as she got a big bigger nursing became much less painful.
Although it takes awhile for nursing to be very comfortable, it can and does happen! Obviously making sure baby is being fed is number one priority. I just wanted to say that despite numerous struggles, thrush, tons of pain we were able to establish a great nursing relationship. Having a great lactation consultant was key (and a cooperative baby is always helpful )
navywifey2003 likes this.

August 8th 2012, 7 weeks
December 29th, 2012, 10:36 AM
wildchihuahua's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My analogy for nipple pain at the beginning (with a good latch) is like breaking in a pair of shoes. Your nipples are not used to that much friction and stimulation and it takes time to get "toughened up" as it were. After 1-2 weeks or so, that sensitivity goes away or lessens dramatically. Hope that helps someone!
D&K's_mama likes this.

December 29th, 2012, 11:07 AM
MamaSkunk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandMama View Post
. I bought the Medela Freestyle (returned the pump in style they sent me for store credit at BRU) and the difference was amazing. I got prob 30% better output and didn't have to pump as long. I was religious about pumping and did it for about 15-20 mins, 8-9 times a day, including one night pumping session for the first 6 months. I pumped s much more than she needed. We froze the excess (long story about rotating the frozen) and by 8 mos, I had enough milk in the freezer for the next 4, so I was able to quit.
Awesome I will get that one! I didnt know which medela to get...its all so confusing! Thanks so much for the advice!

December 29th, 2012, 01:52 PM
QueenCrafty's Avatar Courtney
Also one thing to think about is contacting a member of your La Leche League if you have issues. Sometimes a lactation consultant isn't readily available or they cost quite a bit. Many members of the LLL can give free advice and are quite knowledgeable themselves.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search